Aspiring Contributor
Sdel88
Accepted Solution

is there a way to escalate a complaint to someone who can make a decision?

I live in the Bolton area with my family but I travel a lot and am currently in the USA, trying to solve this issue long distance.

One of my adult children was moving house and I was transferring the BT package I have - phone, BT Vision, broadband, international calling etc to the new apartment while maintaining a line at the main house. Or so I thought.

I've been a BT client for decades but the attitude of company reps I've had to deal with this year means I will not extend my contract beyond the current one. Not because they aren't polite enough, but because they either don't care, or can't be effective. Whatever the incentive package is it doesn't seem to allow, or encourage them, to solve problems.

I called BT to ask about how to facilitate the move and was advised to call as soon as I had a firm move-in date for my son, who is the person who most uses the BT services I currently pay for.

On March 7 I called (from America) to arrange the transfer for March 26th. But the rep couldn't trace the new address.

It must not be registered, he said. Keep looking on line and when you see it listed, call back.

By last Friday, when I couldn't even find the option for booking the move on line, I called another rep (Kimberley) who said "No problem. I'll just have to type in the address to find it"; something she said the first rep could have done.

She offered me a "first possible installation date" of 18th April which I said was too late as my daughter-in-law is pregnant and needs to be able to contact people. 3.5 weeks without a phone, internet or television service wasn't acceptable, especially as I'd tried to book the move well within the normal timescale and been fobbed off by someone less competant than her. Surely they could sort this out.

The response was a polite 'take it or leave it'. So I booked it and was assured someone would call about the problem she was having booking the BT Vision alongside the phone and broadband. It was agreed that total package would cease at the main house on the 10th....with a new line being booked for those premises later.

I put in an online complaint, (not against her - she was nice enough) in the hope that someone with greater clout could expedite the installation, and followed that up with a telephone call. Another rep noticed that the 130 pound fee being charged was 'clearly a mistake' and could be sorted out and she would put me throught to someone else who could deal with the timing too since it was beyond her remit.

So Mukhtar took over, a very pleasant sounding person who said he was very sorry about the delay but there was nothing to be done, no, not even though it seemed to be BT's error in the first place. As for the fee - Yes there isn't a charge for new installations if someone moves an entire package but another department would be dealing with that as he had just discovered that the issue had been placed with' First line assistance' as there seemed to be a problem with meeting the 18th April appointment, though it was still on order and hadn't been cancelled. He couldn't explain what the problem was. He was very sorry and could quite understand that a pregnant  woman would need a telehpone etc....."Have a good day".

Sometime today a rep called the house and spoke to my son (they don't call international numbers so couldn't speak to me). My son asked for the installation to be sooner than 18th April as he has to access to his emails or he can't do his work. (He's doing a piece of research as part of a further education project) 'Ah Ha', said the rep, and accused him of trying to disguise a business account as a home account. And then, just to make matters even worse the rep said the installation wouldn't be being made at all as they don't have accounts paid for by one person at an address lived in by another. Cue outrage!

BT Customer Care at it's very best!

Right from the outset I had said that I needed two things  - the current package, which is paid for by me, to be moved to other premises, and a second package - also to be paid for by me -  to be installed at the main house, details of that to be decided once this move was sorted out. I'd have to have a new number at the apartment, they said. No problem, I'll just keep the current one at the main house. I'd have to be quick re-booking or they'd allocate it to someone else.

I said if it's more convenient I could transfer this account being moved to my my son's name, even though I would be paying for it.

"No you can't - that's breaking the contract. And that will cost you 227 pounds to do that" was the response.

So as of now - though no one has officially informed me yet - I can't move the services, can't put the contract in the name of my son, can't close the contract without cost to me......and I have no idea what happens to the  service at the main house on the 10th. Will it be there when I get home? I've no idea.

Who can I talk to who can solve this current situation, or at least explain why the service is so awful?

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

Re: is there a way to escalate a complaint to someone who can make a decision?

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
Sdel88

Thanks Keith,

I've tried that so I'm not hopeful that going back via that route will have a different outcome. I will call them again tomorrow but I expect to be passed from department to department as before. I was wondering if anyone knows of a specific person who might care enough about client perception to take an interest.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

If you use the link I provided, someone from the BT Care Team will take ownership of the issue.

There are some useful help pages here, for BT Broadband customers only, on my personal website.

BT Broadband customers - help with broadband, WiFi, networking, e-mail and phones.

Aspiring Contributor
Sdel88

OK Thanks

Aspiring Contributor
Sdel88

[ Edited ]

Initially this issue got worse when BT cancelled all services at my house with two minutes notice, after having already said they wouldn't do a home move. But fortunately Craig, a forum moderator, took ownership of the issue and, after days of liaising with my son and other sections of BT has been able to sort it out so that all services at the house are now functioning as before and the home move has been cancelled, leaving my son to make his own arrangements.

So thank you to Keith Beddoe for his advice and to Craig for all his help; it's very much appreciated.

Sage
Keith_Beddoe

I am pleased that Craig managed to sort it all out for you.

Please visit the forum again if you need help in future.

Aspiring Contributor
Sdel88

I had thought this situation was solved but it just got worse. In addition to being without service for several days I am now being charged  a cancellation fee for a broadband service that BT disconnected in error. BT Vision was also terminated by BT but the set up charges are still in place. Does anyone know who the relevant Ombudsman is? I called BT from America on Friday - for an hour - while someone called Aruj sorted out why there is an order 'in progress' that I didn't initiate; why I have fees relating to a problem created by BT and why there are references to a house move that didn't take place and a BT Vision service I no longer have but didn't cancel myself. He assured me it would be rectified and my bill would be reduced by 139 pounds and we would get confirmation of this later that day. I asked him what chance there was that this would not actually happen - he said no chance at all; my new bill would be 23.50.

There was no text message. An online chat person today told me there had been a fee reduction request which had been declined and there was nothing else he could help me with as he dealt only with broadband. But he would get BT Vision to email me. They always seem so helpful.............

I'm sure I'm listed somewhere as 'a problem', there's no other explanation for why I get the runaround

Sage
imjolly

contact the mods again - they helped previously and will help again

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.