cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

landline package change - now included with broadband?

Go to solution

We are being asked to select a new landline package (PAYG/700mins/unlimited) and the total cost shown is vastly more expensive that the previous line rental + package cost.

1. Is the landline rental now being included with the broad band package? Previously they have been separate items on the bill. I can't find any mention of this on the website.

2. If broadband and landline are now packaged together does that mean they use the same line? Our current landline is appalling with continuous crackling which significantly worsens every time it rains and for days after.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: landline package change - now included with broadband?

Go to solution

the current packages are for broadband and phone line rental and then you can select an add-on for call depending on your usage of your landline

your broadband is delivered by your phone line unless you have FTTP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

If you have broadband , the combined  LR and broadband ‘price’ has to advertised , and has been that way for quite some time, given that you cannot have broadband without LR , perhaps you have a legacy package where line rental and calls, and broadband are separate items on the bill or bills , perhaps your broadband supplier isn’t even BT ?
Broadband and landline have always used the same line, if you have a fault, it’s upto you to report it, it’s not likely to be noticed and reported by anyone else.
What calls package are you currently on ?, the previous plans were ‘Weekends’, ‘Evening and Weekends’ and ‘Unlimited’ , if they are disappearing you need to pick another...obviously the no up front cost option is PAYG, ( compared to ‘Weekends’ there are no inclusive calls at weekends) 700 mins is cheaper than the old Unlimited , but isn’t unlimited ( 700 mins  nearly 12 hours though and includes calls to mobiles ) obviously the new Unlimited is quite a bit more than the old plan but does include mobiles.....you could still use alternative call carrier services.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thank you - we must have a legacy package. BT has always been our broadband/landline supplier.

The crackly line has been a recurring fault. As the account is in my husband's name, he has to report the fault. So far, he has not been able to get through this time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

There may be an option to test the line , by logging into your on line BT account and running a line test, if it detects a problem there may be an option to ‘report’ it...otherwise it’s perseverance on the phone , best to check at the test port of the master socket , in case any extension sockets or extension wiring is the problem, but if it’s noisy when it’s wet but not when it’s dry it’s unlikely to be internal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

As the title of this thread is the subject I want to ask about, I'll just add my question here.  Hope that's OK to do.

My most recent bill says "Your broadband discount is ending soon", though of course it's not helpful enough to tell me WHEN it's ending.     Does it mean the Line Rental Saver, which I know needs renewing by the end of September?

Then it says "Find a new offer here"  -  so I click on that, and it shows me a range of different broadband "offers". 

After the price of each "offer" it says "includes Line Rental Saver".

Does that mean that the advertised price is what the broadband offer willl cost me IF I pay for LRS separately?

Or does it mean that LRS is included in the advertised price?  And therefore I wouldn't need to pay separately for LRS?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
The BT Consumer Price Guide leaflet probably answers most of my query:
"If you take a Broadband Package from BT, your package price includes Standard Line Rental. " I take that to mean that
Line Rental is not charged separately.
https://www.bt.com/assets/pdf/BT_PhoneTariff_Residential.pdf
(Page 5)
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I think you have answered the question but BT don't seem to have made this change very clear as I was very confused about this same issue.

Hopefully, we have both now resolved the query.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Thank you - I have now managed to get through to BT and an engineer is booked.
A very helpful call lady added me to the account so I can now contact BT in my own right.
0 Ratings