Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dennis1234567
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

A BT McAfee Question

Go to solution

Recently i decided i no longer trusted my securiy and swapped it for BT McAfee. Being a freebe helped me come to that decision. Now i have a home built system with Windows on a SSD, and the CPU is a watercooled 4ghz i7 mated to some seriously good RAM. It has Two  120mm input fans at the front, and a 240mm in the roof of one of Coolermaster's excellent Storm Trooper cases. Every wire and plug is behind the motherboard. As this is my twelth build i knew what i was doing during the build. It is designed for high resource workloads and outlast my MS. My dust filters, fans and radiators were recently vacuumed clean. It was bomb proof right up until it met BT McAfee.

Like a good little boy I fire up a full system scan. The moment the scan starts my CPU temperatures jump from 25c to a high 90c, and almost overwelms the watercooling. It only happens while the SSD is scanned. Once it goes onto scanning my regular drives the CPU temperatures drop to a more acceptable range.

Is this an issue with BT McAfee?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: A BT McAfee Question

Go to solution

My advice and that of others on the forum would be to uninstall BTVirus Protect/McAfee. It can cause problems on some computers and can be a resource hog. Do a search of the forum to see the problems. There are far better free antivirus programs available such as Avast Free and AVG Free.

If you do want to uninstall BTVirus Protect use this guide and make sure you use the BTVirus Protect/McAfee removal tool after you have restarted your computer.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13523

There have been previous issues with McAfee causing high CPU usage. If you have a search of the McAfee forum you will find them.

Having said that, because it is only stressing out your CPU when scanning the SSD I could be something to do with your set up or the SSD rather than BTVirus Protect.

The only way to tell would be to uninstall McAfee and install another antivirus product and run a full scan on your SSD and see if that stresses the CPU but as I said, if it were me I would be looking for a different Antivirus product.

Dennis1234567
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: A BT McAfee Question

Go to solution
Thanks. I'll make the rounds and try out a few trial versions.
0 Ratings