cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 20

Access BT Wi-fi from windows 10 laptop

Go to solution

Hello BT community 

As I need to take my laptop away from home, I have been trying to access a BT Wi-fi hotspot from my Windows 10 laptop. I get a 'connected, no internet' but I do not get the sign-in page on my browser so cannot login. 

Are there some specific settings I need to apply? 

I can access a BT Wi-fi hotspot from my Samsung phone and an old Samsung tablet and my husband can access the BT Wi-fi hotspot from his Windows 10 laptop.   

Any thoughts, please?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

Re: Access BT Wi-fi from windows 10 laptop

Go to solution

@GGF 

Its more likely to be an issue with the network settings on your laptop. BT Wifi should be designated as a public network and not a private one. Look at the properties of the connection, to see what its shown as.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043043/windows-10-make-network-public-private

This page may also help https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/internet/how-to-access-bt-wi-fi-using-your-laptop-11363938651303#:~...

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks so much for the quick response, Keith, I have checked and BT Wi-fi is shown as a PUBLIC network.

When I connected to BT Wi-Fi I can see the status says 'Open, not connected to internet'.

When I open a browser session and key in www.btwifi.com, I get the 'no internet message', so I can't login.

I'm really stumped!    

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Can you make sure that you do not have any saved connections with the BTWifi name?

Delete any entries you see, even the one you are trying to connect to, then try to connect again, so you only see the single one showing as connected.

Because they all have the same SSID, Windows, and even other devices, can get confused, especially if they are configured to automatically connect to open networks, which is a bad idea.

I have seen multiple connections stored on Android phones, where they have been setup to connect automatically.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks again, Keith, I have looked through my 'known' networks and 'forgot' all BT Wi-fi, BT Wi-fi- X, BT Wi-Fi-with-FON (there were 4).

I then turned off Wi-Fi and turned it on again and got 3 networks, BT Wi-Fi, BT WiFi-X and my Home Hub with only

BT Wi-fi shown as open. 

I connected again, but still get the status 'no internet'  - so cannot access the BT landing page. (Message flashes up saying 'DNS address could not be found' and then the 'no internet' message.  

I know there are hotspots around as I can get onto them from every other device I have 😞 so I think I will have to try and find another way round my problem when I am away from home. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

It could be that the hotspot you are connected to, is not working properly?

If its your own home hub, then try restarting it, then try again. A factory reset of the home hub, is another option.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks again, it is so kind of you to assist, Keith. 

I am trying to connect to a BT Wi-fi hotspot so not using my Home Hub at all. I can definitely get to a hotspot (and BT login screen) from my tablet and phone. I've done a quick check on the web and one recommendation was to flush the DNS and restart my laptop, which I have just tried.......but sadly with no success. 

I suspect your first thought - regarding the settings on my laptop  - is the most likely.  I also have Avast Antivirus running and I wonder if that is an issue. 

Any further suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks again, Keith.  

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

Anti Virus would most likely cause a problem, as initial connection and authentication is done via a non-standard port, which may be blocked by Avast. You may be able to see the redirect if you look at the address bar.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution
Not sure I understand your last sentence.....'you may be able to see the redirect if you look at the address bar'?
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

@GGF wrote:
Not sure I understand your last sentence.....'you may be able to see the redirect if you look at the address bar'?

What you may see is a redirected web address on the address bar, with a colon on the end, followed by a port number. I cannot remember which port number it is at the moment (now see below) , but Avast may be blocking it. Try disabling Avast.

I do not have a BT Wifi signal nearby that I can check for you, as I am using a TP Link router, not a BT Home Hub.

Edit:- This is it.

1. Once connected, launch an internet browser (like Internet Explorer or Google Chrome)
  2. This should load the BT Wi-fi landing page automatically. If it doesn't, go to https://www.btwifi.com:8443

From this website https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/fix-a-problem/public-bt-wi-fi-hotspots/how-do-i-connect-to-a-bt-wi...

0 Ratings