cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 20

Re: Access BT Wi-fi from windows 10 laptop

Go to solution

Thanks, Keith, I'll give that a go and report back. 

Thanks again!

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution
Sadly this has not worked.
I turned the Avast shields off and then tried to connect - the status for the connection was the same - 'Connected, no internet', I did not get the BT Wifi landing page when I put https://www.btwifi.com:8443 in the browser, just got a
'Page not found' from BT.
I still suspect something on my laptop is stopping the connection but I am not sure what.
It is not a critical problem as I can sign into secured wi-fi services but I would like to fix it if I can.
Thanks again for your help, Keith.
I got a message
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

Can you make sure that your laptop`s wireless network settings are configured to get its settings automatically, and you have not manually configured them, as BT Wifi uses a private address range starting withe 10.xxx.xxx.xxx and not 192.168.1.xx.

If it is set to a static IP address, or you have something else like a firewall which is blocking that range, then you will not get a connection.

I am wondering if you have any additional firewalls installed, or whether the Windows 10 firewall setting for a public network is configured incorrectly?

You can in fact reset the Windows firewall to default settings, which may help.

It still looks like an issue with the laptop, and I suspect its blocking the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx subnet, or you have configured a static IP address on the wireless network.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

How do I check this, Keith?

Is this the 'Proxy' setting? I have the automatic Proxy setting as 'on' and the manual Proxy setting as 'off'.

When I connect via BT Wi-fi, I get an IPv4 address as 100.xx.xxx.xxx

Is this correct? 

Thanks, Keith.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

Its not the proxy setting, its the IP address.

100.xx.xxx.xxx  is not correct it should be from 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255 

The range you are getting is a special  range which is only used on mobile broadband connections.

A special range 100.64.0.0 to 100.127.255.255 with a 255.192.0.0 or /10 network mask; this subnet is recommended according to rfc6598 for use as an address pool for CGN (Carrier-Grade NAT) used on mobile networks.

That seems to indicate that you are not actually connecting to BT Wifi, but to a signal transmitted by a mobile hotspot, or a 4G BT Mini hub.

Either that, or your computer is double NATing your connection.

As you can see, its the IPv4 address range that your computer is getting, which is the issue.

As to what is causing this, its not possible for me to determine that from here.

Are you sure you are not using a VPN, as that will cause the same problem?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

Interesting.....

I can connect to the BTWi-fi service with no problem from my Samsung mobile and gets the BT Wi-fi logon screen .....IPv4 address is 100.89.xxx.xxx.

My husband's Windows laptop connects to the BT BTWi-fi service and gets the BT Wi-fi logon screen -  IPv4 address is 100.89.xxx.xxx.

My laptop connects to the BT BTWi-fi service but does not get BT Wi-fi logon screen - IPv4 address is also 100.89.xxx.xxx. 

So this points again to my laptop. 

I do not have any VPNs but one was set up from my laptop for work (now deleted ), so I will see if I can get in touch with the IT Services team who set it up to see if they changed any settings.

Thanks again, Keith. 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

That is interesting, as the last time I looked at BT Wifi it used the 10 subnet. That was a long time ago now.

I do know there were issues with people who needed to change the subnet on the home hubs to avoid a clash with their works VPN, and the 10 subnet was reserved on the home hubs, so it was not possible for them to use it.

Based on what you have said, I assume that BT have changed the private address range for BT Wifi, to overcome this issue, as the 100 subnet would not be used within an organisation.

That is something I will have to remember for the future, but I wonder if BT have updated the configuration file on some of the older home hubs?

As for the reason that your laptop will not connect, I think its going to have to be investigated  by your IT services team, as I cannot really suggest anything else.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution
So grateful for all your help, Keith.
IF I get a solution, I will post it!
Thanks again.
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

Keith

Just to close the loop, with some guidance from a local IT services supplier, I re-installed the wi-fi adapter on my laptop and everything sparked into life 🙂 :-).

I'm hoping to try it later in a different venue - so fingers crossed. 

Thanks so much for all your assistance. 

Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

That does sound hopeful 😀

0 Ratings