Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BorderReiver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Access Controls - fundamentally flawed?

Go to solution

We recently took delivery of a shiny new, so called, 'smart' hub and I duly set up access controls for the kids devices in the hope that it might ensure that they got some sleep.  Last night, I let my son stay up late to see the new year in.  He went to use his phone after the curfew and said 'Oh, I forgot that it couldn't connect to the Wi Fi after 11pm'  A few minutes later he said 'My phone has just connected to the router using 'BT Wi Fi with FON'.  

Unlike our previous BTHomeHub2, there seems to be no way of making the hub go to sleep after a certain time, therefore it would seem that 'BT Wi Fi with FON' would be available 24 * 7.  So how are we supposed to limit the kids' access without removing the BT Wi FI App from their devices?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Access Controls - fundamentally flawed?

Go to solution

Access controls only work on devices that are connected to your home network. It does not block them connecting to other networks, which BTWifi-Fon is.

You would be in a similar position if your son knew your next door neighbours wireless code, he could connect to that network and thus by pass your routers access controls.

Presumably you do not want to opt out of BTWifi which if you did would prevent you using it when out and about.

If you bought a third party VDSLModem/router, it would not be broadcasting the BTWifi-Fon signal so your son would not be able to use that. They start in price at about £30. They can also give a bit more user control than the Smarthub.

If you do go down that route, first make sure that none of your neighbours have BT broadband and their hub is broadcasting BTWif because he could just connect to that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Actually the BT Wifi app, is only intended for use by the account holder, not other family members.

The access controls on that other router that @gg30340 mentions, do work as well, they just need a little bit more setting up.

It has a separate guest network which can be switched on and off on a separate schedule.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
BorderReiver
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for the responses.

Having just paid extra to get the new hub, I'm certainly not going down the route of purchasing another new router.  I'll just have to trust the kids not to abuse the privilege.

Cheers

BR.

0 Ratings
Ol
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

There is a way to bypass access control that I am not going to mention here but doesn't require any tech nolage what-so-ever, BT really have to fix the issue or Access Control is useless!

0 Ratings
Ol
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Actually the BT Wifi app, is only intended for use by the account holder, not other family members.

The access controls on that other router that @gg30340 mentions, do work as well, they just need a little bit more setting up.

It has a separate guest network which can be switched on and off on a separate schedule.

Exept if the user has BT mobile or something. I do and I'm not the account holder!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@Ol wrote:

BT really have to fix the issue ...

... or customers their kids.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@Ol wrote:

There is a way to bypass access control that I am not going to mention here but doesn't require any tech nolage what-so-ever, BT really have to fix the issue or Access Control is useless!

There are many ways to bypass access controls, any tech savy child, which most are, know they only have to do a google search to find out how.

It is not a problem unique to BT the main responsibility to restrict access is the parents and that can and should include removing the device from the child until they learn.