Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 21 of 50

Re: Access control through my bt app

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

@bergwrote:

But thats why you should change the standard passwords at the back of the hub. Caught the kids once when i found a picture of the bt hub paswoord  on their phone. Instead of telling them off i just edited the foto with the text " nice try" and left it 😁

Waste of time, they will just factory reset the hub and the password will be back to what it was.

Not its not, because we would find out and a harsher punishment would follow. Trust me teenagers rather be sneaky about these things. Besides that then the whole access control is a bunch of nonsense as well.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 22 of 50

Access control insanity

Go to solution

The decision to move access control to an app instead of directly through your connected hardware wasn't thought through fully was it?    

Not only do you now need a  separate device on a separate system (android or apple) you also have to pay for a service on that separate device to control a router connected to your own network. 

You also cannot recover a paused internet if the device you are trying to use doesn't have service when you are at home and trying to unpause the network in that home.  

You can't connect to the router to enable it using your PC and because there is no internet and no service you can't get access.  UNBELIEVABLE.    

Having access through the router is a requirement. Not a wish.  

When will it be restored?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 23 of 50

Go to solution

Bt didn't think it out at all.    Even if you do have a working smart phone you are relying on another providers service to ensure you can access a BT feature.      What happens if you don't have good service, have the internet paused and cant connect to enable it?   I've twice had to walk in the pouring rain to get service to re enable the internet on a router that's less than 2 feet from the PC. 

Complete and utter stupidity by BT. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 24 of 50

Re: Access control insanity

Go to solution

There should be hundreds of similar threads to make these BT idiots do something about it.  

Are they getting a back hander from mobile providers to implement this stupid system?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 50

Go to solution

Err, no, it obviously doesn't rely on your mobile network provider, you are connecting to the hub via wifi. Your trip in the rain wasn't required.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 50

Go to solution

Does the app not work if your Smarthub 2 is still broadcasting a wireless signal regardless of it can connect to the Internet and your phone connects to it by wireless and not 3/4g?

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 50

Go to solution

@mm0wkj wrote:

You also cannot recover a paused internet if the device you are trying to use doesn't have service when you are at home and trying to unpause the network in that home.  

Why on earth would you saw off the branch you are sitting on?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 28 of 50

Go to solution
It does require a mobile service if the internet is paused as you have no internet with which to control the router through the app. Tried, doesnt work, get message saying 'no internet'

Our router is set to freeze out the access whilst its the kids homework time. I'm setting up devie groups but the issue still isnt ideal. HAving to access a seperate supliers system to control one thats within 2 feet and in your own home is stupidity
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 50

Go to solution

@mm0wkj  How are you accessing the control via an external network, access controls are only available on the app when connected to your hub's wifi.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 30 of 50

Go to solution

No.  Internet is pasued. how do you connect to enable it again?  I can see the router, and teh page but the setting cant be changed unless you use the app.  Through an internet connection (which I can access as its paused) and have no mobile service.

0 Ratings