Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Advice please on anti-virus software, including BT Virus Protect

I am looking for advice on a suitable virus protection product to instrall. I am a current BT Infinity 1 customer so I have the option to get BT Virus Protect for free, but have not downloaded as yet, and am wondering if I should. 

In our household we have two laptops (one Windows 7 64-bit, the other running Windows 10) plus a couple of iPlhones. I have a current subscription with McAfee for their 'Total Protection' product.

This subscription expires next month, but is going up to something like £50 (and that's with a 'discount' allegedly).  To be honest I'm not really sure as to exactly what it provides, and I am probably one of many who purchase/renew such products based on the 'fear factor' of being 'infected'. I have previously had anti-virus cover with Norton. Anti-virus products are all 'black boxes' to me!

The questions I have are:

1. What virus protection should I install when my current McAfee subscription runs out? What is the general consensus in terms of a 'good' anti-virus product? (and why). What should I be looking for? (feel free to ask me more questions to draw out my needs). I know there are free offerings (such as Avast) and it seems to get good feedback from the little I've read. Feedback on McAfee says it is often seen as resource hungry. And, I  also hate the uneccessary 'offers' and pop-ups from McAfee that appear unprompted on my machine as renewal approaches.

2. Should I download BT Virus Protect - now? or ever? I understand the free version covers me for 2 devices. If I download now, and given I understand that BT Virus Protect is from the McAfee stable, will it a) conflict with Total Protection? b) will it add value?

3. If I don't renew McAfee Total Protection and download BTVP when my current McAfee subscription ends, I'll obviously save money but what protection will BT Virus protect give me versus McAfee Total Protection?

All thoughts, suggestions, pointers welcome.  

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Advice please on anti-virus software, including BT Virus Protect

I haven't used BT Protect but the consensus I've takem from here is to keep away from it. If you have Windows laptops why not try Microsoft Security Essentials, it's free and has worked well for me.

If you want to have protection from McAfee or Norton, then never renew a license. Buy a new license from somewhere like Amazon, you'll get it for around £20. Whatever you use just uninstall the old product.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Keep away from BT Virus protect and go for one of the free ones such as Avast or AVG.

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

Windows Defender in Windows 10 works well and is unobtrusive. It's on automatically unless you've downloaded an alternative. I suspect your iPhone doesn't need it. My Android devices don't have AV and there doesn't seem to be a problem.

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Thank you for your reply @licquorice. On what basis do you say "keep away from BT Virus Protect?". Have you used it? What are its shortcomings in your opinion?

0 Ratings
xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

@Andy005 - thanks for your response. I've noted your suggestions re MSE. Also thanks for suggestion re not going direct to 'renew' McAfee.

xmarksthespot
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

@ChrisB - you mention windows defender for windows 10, does something equivalent exist for windows 7? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Windows Defender is included with Windows 7, but you may have to enable  the service, as its often disabled by third party virus programs.

C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe -k secsvcs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

@xmarksthespot wrote:

Thank you for your reply @licquorice. On what basis do you say "keep away from BT Virus Protect?". Have you used it? What are its shortcomings in your opinion?

I haven't used and wouldn't consider using it, it is a known resource hog and seems to cause problems judging by posts on this forum.

0 Ratings
ChrisB
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

This is complex. Windows Defender is included with Windows 7 BUT it isn't a full anti-virus with Windows 7. It only became that with Windows 8. To enable Microsoft anti-virus in Windows 7 use Microsoft Security Essentials as well. You can find it by Googling download MSE. MSE isn't necessary for Windows 8 onwards.

0 Ratings