Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Charlie59
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Anti Virus Installation Problem

I am trying to download and install the antir virus protect, but it stops at 83% and gives me an error message "sorry Mcafee software could not be installed. Install Software.Intstall.Msg.FailMcafeeInstallCompName not found".  Any ideas how I resolve this please.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Anti Virus Installation Problem

Make sure that if you are installing it on a Windows computer that all the Windows updates have been installed. If you have a Windows 10 computer make sure you do a "restart" not just a power off and power on to ensure that all the updates are installed correctly.

If you have any other antivirus on your computer you must un-install it before down loading McAfee.

You should also run the McAfee removal tool as per para 4 in this link

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38369/~/how-to-remove-then-reinstall-bt-netprotect-p...

After doing that turn off Windows Defender then try to install BT Virus Protect/McAfee.

If you still can not install it make sure you turn Windows Defender back on.

0 Ratings
Charlie59
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

I turned my PC off and on again, and it has now installed. But I now have a different problem! I cannot open it to manage the settings, and there is no icon on the taskbar, despite it saying show icon and notifications.
0 Ratings
Charlie59
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Icon disappeared fron notifications and Mcafee wont open

Having managed to install McAfee anti virus BT BProtect, I don't have an icon on the taskbar, even though it says show notifications and icon.  Also clicking on the desktop shortcut that the installation put there wont open Virus protect.  Any ideas?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Personally I would not use McAfee because of the problems it causes on some computers as you have now found out. It always seems to be just one update away from another problem.

Does the McAfee program show in your start menu and can you access it from there.

In relation to the icon problem, depending on which version of Windows you are using will depend how you do this but you can set what icons you want displayed in the task bar.

It will be along the line of you right clicking on the task bar and go into properties you should see "notification are" and click on the "Customise" button and you will see a list of icons and options of how they are displayed. Find the McAfee one and select the option you want from the drop down box and click save.

0 Ratings
Charlie59
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for that. Yes I can access it from the start menu. I am using Windows 7. When I go into the notification area and do that, a message pops up saying that the notification icon is not currently active, but I cannot find where to make it so. I guess it must be in the program file somewhere.
0 Ratings