cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raymon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT BTCloud Trash

Using Windows XP and IE (but also have chrome installed as alternative browser). 

BT Cloud Trash button was working up to about a week ago. Now brings up error message "Browser not supported" etc. suggests you download chrome or firefox but as stated above chrome is already installed and working OK. 

Any suggestions please.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT BTCloud Trash

Hi Raymon,

Did you manage to get this sorted? If not I can look into this for you. Please could you send me in your details using the "Contact Us" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
raymon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

PaddyB, thanks for response. The situation appears to be resolved. It would appear that over the last few days substantial changes took place to the website. Trash is now working again but is a totally different process !! I am fairly new to BT Cloud and am surprised that BT did not inform users of these changes.

Regards Ray

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 7

@raymon wrote:

PaddyB, thanks for response. The situation appears to be resolved. It would appear that over the last few days substantial changes took place to the website. Trash is now working again but is a totally different process !! I am fairly new to BT Cloud and am surprised that BT did not inform users of these changes.

Regards Ray

I was intererested to read your comment, re substantial changes to BT Cloud.

It's much more logical to use now: no more left click this and right click that to sign out and close the program down.

It's a struggle to set up for a routine backup of selected files - at first. But then it works easily. It's still odd that BT says install Firefox or Chrome, though.

It should work with IE. If it doesn't, then it isn't really functioning properly - it's a poor compromise situation.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 7

There do seem to have been some extensive changes; some are sort of going in the right direction but the whole infrastructure still provides very ill-considered user interface and functionality.

The Web Upload area has been replaced (without comment) by BT Cloud Sync.

Both Web Upload and Cloud Sync are potentially useful features, but very different from each other.

As a result, 1/2Gb of stuff I didn't want on my computer has just been synced to it.

If I delete it, it will be removed from the cloud.

(It could have been a lot more if I trusted BT Cloud and used it more extensively.)

Trash remains an almost useless facility except for individual files, as BT Cloud seems to forget all folder structure information when sending a file to trach.  The extra 'Files' indirection under Trash appears to be just another layer to have to move through, and not to add any useful structuring.

0 Ratings
Theoldchap
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

BT cloud is a heap of trash from f-secure.

It will never work properly no matter how much its tweaked.

Virginmedia use the same f-secure for their Backup and storage equivalent of BT cloud.

Theyve been trying to get it fixed for 2 years now.

You data is not encrypted on the server although it is between your PC and the server.

If you want a proper backup service you need a paid for subscription like Crashplan or similar.

Pity BT couldnt licence the code from them and ditch f-secure giving us the service we deserve and pay for its no good having 50Gb free storage then cant use it. You could go to Kim Dotcoms Mega if you just wanted free 50Gb storage.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 7

@sjtp wrote:

There do seem to have been some extensive changes; some are sort of going in the right direction but the whole infrastructure still provides very ill-considered user interface and functionality.

The Web Upload area has been replaced (without comment) by BT Cloud Sync.

Both Web Upload and Cloud Sync are potentially useful features, but very different from each other.

As a result, 1/2Gb of stuff I didn't want on my computer has just been synced to it.

If I delete it, it will be removed from the cloud.

(It could have been a lot more if I trusted BT Cloud and used it more extensively.)

Trash remains an almost useless facility except for individual files, as BT Cloud seems to forget all folder structure information when sending a file to trach.  The extra 'Files' indirection under Trash appears to be just another layer to have to move through, and not to add any useful structuring.

The BT Cloud seems to be working reasonably well, but then I'm not asking much of it.

It backs up and overwrites an excel file weekly, and stores the same files taken over previous years. They are simple data logs from a weather station. Not much of a security risk, at least.

I just had it ticking over nicely............and another update came this morning.

Only time will tell what has changed: there's no info.

A big improvement is logging out or "disconnect all devices". This shuts the program down, (after getting your knuckles rapped for shutting the application down).

0 Ratings