cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

BT Cloud 21.2.8 update - multiple errors

On restarting the BT cloud app I was notified that it had been updated to release 21.2.8.

1) My Sync settings have been reset.

2) Only one Backup directory appears in Preferences instead of six.

When will they learn that Preferences MUST be carried over from one version, Beta 21.2.3 in this case, to the next!

Worse still, 20 minutes after the restart, the taskbar icon was showing "All files synced" and there had been NO entry in the log file since the restart. Perhaps the latter means that full logging has been turned off on the new release, but it's very disconcerting.

I've now restored my Preferences and reverted to Beta 21.2.3 and the uploads have resumed immediately.  Preferences remain intact.

What a farce!

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Cloud 21.2.8 update - multiple errors

I'd be interested to know where you found the logs. In C:\Users\MEMEME\AppData\Local\BTCloud-Data I only have a folder EBWebView and two files verylongstring-repo.db and verylongstring-sync.db 

I can't find anything to open the 2 files, and any .log files under EBWebView are tiny.

Parenthetically, my uploads periodically stall but Pause Syncing (sic) and then Resume gives it some vim. [BTW, I am not interested in syncing and such mislabelling only adds to the confusion.]

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

@bobdanbhwrote:

I'd be interested to know where you found the logs. In C:\Users\MEMEME\AppData\Local\BTCloud-Data I only have a folder EBWebView and two files verylongstring-repo.db and verylongstring-sync.db 

I can't find anything to open the 2 files, and any .log files under EBWebView are tiny.

Parenthetically, my uploads periodically stall but Pause Syncing (sic) and then Resume gives it some vim. [BTW, I am not interested in syncing and such mislabelling only adds to the confusion.]

You are looking in the right place. Full logging has been turned off in 21.2.8, so you will only see a log file if something unusual needs to be logged. In turn that means that the Logs directory won't exist until a log file has been created.

I'm sticking with Beta 21.2.3 as that does full logging. If the app appears to stall, checking the latest entry in the log file gives some reassurance that it is still running. Only down side I can see is that it's necessary to reinstall Beta 21.2.3 every time the app is restarted.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Thanks. I wonder what the .db files are.

The only problem with the stalling is that I've been leaving it chugging away uploading for 3 nights now, and each morning it has stopped in the night. But it's getting there.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

The stalling was due to 1 file over 11Gb. Uploads stopped when it tried to upload this and I guess this happened in the middle of each of the nights.

No error log is created, but I did see a warning flash up on the screen when I was trying during the day.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@bobdanbh 

My understanding is that the .db files are metadata resording which files have been processed, random file name ending in -repo for backup metadata, -sync for metadata for sync. Remember these are distinct processes. On the Preferences popup, you can select folders to backup (straight copy from one PC to cloud) and those to sync (files copied to cloud and copied to other PCs, and back). But a folder selected for backup can't also be selected for sync.  So, for files you want to backup AND sync, you need to keep 2 copies on the primary PC - if PCs are syncronised, you only need to back up one PC

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

I've now got some log files. Lots of entries like this

2021-04-28 19:57:39.037 +01:00 [ERR] RetryAttach failed Z:\video\2021Year\2021_Feb\VID_20210203_145550.mp4, { SourceContext: "Sncr.Cloud.Core.RetryAttachTask" }

Is it coincidence that backup stopped around that time and won't restart? It still claims All files synced when they patently haven't been.

I'm on the point of giving up. BT Cloud.exe has chewed through 603GB of I/O reads, to get 4GB of files uploaded - what on earth is it doing?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

@bobdanbh 

I've now got some log files. Lots of entries like this

2021-04-28 19:57:39.037 +01:00 [ERR] RetryAttach failed Z:\video\2021Year\2021_Feb\VID_20210203_145550.mp4, { SourceContext: "Sncr.Cloud.Core.RetryAttachTask" }

Was this your 11 Gb video file? If so, a possible explanation

Is it coincidence that backup stopped around that time and won't restart?

It still claims All files synced when they patently haven't been.

We're faced with some sloppy terminology here.

When it says "All files synced", is it referring to just the files being synced or does it also include your files being backed up? The message clearly means "All selected files synced" as they have to be in the target folders (Sync and backup coming from different folders).  Maybe there should be adjusted messages, viz "All selected files synced", "All selected files backed up" or "All selected files synced and backed up"

If you set Pause syncing, does it just pause syncing or does it also pause backup?  If both, the option should be to Pause file transfer.

i.e., the word sync seems to be used ambiguously.

I'm on the point of giving up. BT Cloud.exe has chewed through 603GB of I/O reads, to get 4GB of files uploaded - what on earth is it doing?

No idea why, I'm afraid

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

No, I've chopped the 11GB file into pieces and removed the original.

I wasn't clear: the many ERR lines referred to different files.

I've spent too long on BT Cloud. It's again stalled after uploading 4.7GB of videos, out of ~120GB. I've now used Amazon Cloud to save my photos - the videos will have to take their chances.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

My system is Windows 10 - PC 

I followed all the instructions to update BT Cloud 21.2.8 and I have Microsoft Edge Webview2 Runtime installed but despite all my efforts BT Cloud will not get passed repeatedly requesting me to install - "This software requires additional components to be installed. Please select 'Yes' on the following installer of "Microsoft Edge Update".

I have tried starting from scratch viz. uninstalling BT Cloud and Microsoft Edge Webview2 and re-starting my PC, then re-installing them both but no success.

All I get is repeated requests of "This software requires additional components to be installed. Please select 'Yes' on the following installer of "Microsoft Edge Update".

Can anyone help me please?

0 Ratings