cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 27

Re: BT Cloud 21.4.10

Go to solution

@RTLwrote:

Got a notification earlier on my Laptop that a restart was needed to update BT Cloud.  Looks like 21.4.10 has now been released for general use.

Latest version.Latest version.

Have you had the chance to see some of the changes yet?

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 27

Go to solution

@JTS1     Hi,  I only use BT Cloud Sync and it is now working for me. Can't comment on Backup as I don't use it. My problem was if I modified an existing file, Excel or Word for example and then saved it as a new file, it required either a Restart or a Power On/Off to force the file to load to the cloud. This was resolved when I received 21.4.10 on Desktop "A".  I now have it installed on my Desktop "B" and Laptop and intend to move more of my files over from OneDrive--when I get the time.  

When I look in the web BT Cloud I am still seeing images from documents appearing in Photos. I don't think they should go there as I am using sync and not Backup.  Can live with that at the moment as the only time I go in to the Cloud will be to occasionally clear out the trash can.

Message 13 of 27

Go to solution

I only use Backup, not Sync, and can't see anything has changed.  I have files modified 9 hours ago still waiting to be backed up.  I can live with that as Cloud isn't my primary backup but it is disappointing.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 27

Go to solution

@Earthlingwrote:

I only use Backup, not Sync, and can't see anything has changed.  I have files modified 9 hours ago still waiting to be backed up.  I can live with that as Cloud isn't my primary backup but it is disappointing.

I have found a few things that have changed, for example, in the RECENTLY UPDATED list, the files are linked to the Folders that they were uploaded from (if it they still exist); and if you click on the three vertical dots at the top right of the same screen, a dropdown box appears and now when you select ‘About’, not only does it the Version 21,4,10 appear, another option appear to turn Diagnostic Logs on and off.  

Also, it is working a lot faster and when files are modified and saved, the versions appear almost instantaneously, however, on a couple of occasions, I accidently hit Save, even though I hadn't made a change, but new versions were created anyway.

I cannot understand why your files are taking so long to get backed up.  I have backed up 9 folders containing lots of large videos and they all successfully uploaded very quickly.  Do you have many other apps running in the background?

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks John - just tried what you did by opening and saving a couple of files and they backed up inside a minute!  No idea why nothing was happening earlier but looks like backup may now be working as it should.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 27

Go to solution

@Earthlingwrote:

Thanks John - just tried what you did by opening and saving a couple of files and they backed up inside a minute!  No idea why nothing was happening earlier but looks like backup may now be working as it should.

I'm glad that you have had a successful outcome.

Since the the December version, where the BT Cloud problems began, I have been conscious that those having backup problems, were the members who had long term accounts that had accumulated large amount of big files.  I was also conscious that many of them tried all sorts of ways to resolve their problems, but to no avail.

I therefore attempted, this week, to replicate the problem by trying to upload a folder containing many video files, the total volume of which was over 6GBs. 

Initially, syncing progressed well, but it still wasn't completed.  So during the process, I attempted to change the name of a totally different backup folder, added a single Sync file and deleted some of the files from the original folder containing file that were still in the sync process, to see how the BT Cloud would react.

I then turned my PC off and back on again.

I found that I had succeeded in stalling the syncing process.  No matter what I did, I couldn't get the sync process to restart (just as described by many other users).

I then looked at my BT Cloud Logs and found that the BT Cloud recognised that sync was not completed, as the deleted files, which were named in the logs, were not there to be backed up.  However, it ended in a loop, where it tried to find them, but couldn't, then tried to find them again, but couldn't, and so on.

I spent most of the week trying to get BT Cloud to start syncing, by pausing and unpausing, switching BT Cloud off & on again and shutting down and restarting.  Nothing happened, despite repeating this over several day.  Eventually, I decided to remove the entire backup folder that was causing the problem - still nothing and sync remained paused.

As a last resort, I unpinned it from my Backup Preferences and clicked save.  Hey presto, after a dormant week, syncing started immediately.

Since then, I have added the same backup folder (and others) without any problems, so it is recoverable from the user's end.

JTS1

Message 17 of 27

Go to solution

@RTLwrote:

@JTS1     Hi,  I only use BT Cloud Sync and it is now working for me. Can't comment on Backup as I don't use it. My problem was if I modified an existing file, Excel or Word for example and then saved it as a new file, it required either a Restart or a Power On/Off to force the file to load to the cloud. This was resolved when I received 21.4.10 on Desktop "A".  I now have it installed on my Desktop "B" and Laptop and intend to move more of my files over from OneDrive--when I get the time.  

When I look in the web BT Cloud I am still seeing images from documents appearing in Photos. I don't think they should go there as I am using sync and not Backup.  Can live with that at the moment as the only time I go in to the Cloud will be to occasionally clear out the trash can.

All files, whether they are documents, or photos, will appear in 'All My Files' when they are uploaded. 
The Sync files will be found here by clicking on 'BT Cloud' and the paths that are within it.  This is an exact duplication of your Desktop BT Cloud folders and files.

The Backup files will be found here by clicking on your Repository from which they were uploaded, but if a Backup folder includes pictures, these pictures will not be included here, they will be found in 'Photos and Videos', by design. 

If, in the past, you had a backup folder that contained pictures, they will still appear in the BT Cloud, even if you have deleted the backup files and folders from your PC and the documents from the BT Cloud client, as they are stored separately.  They must be deleted from within the BT Cloud client if you want to get rid of them.

For more details see:
https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/UyIOkdtmz2

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 27

Go to solution

Hello together!

OK, here's a recommendation I got from BT that solved the problem of stalled sync and the inability to see the repositories on different computers.  I applied it to both my Windows  PC and laptop, but I can't confirm the Mac advice works OK.

Steps:

1. Make sure to exit the application with the Exit button

It's on the Systray menu

2. Open the Data folder the App

On Windows 10:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\BTCloud-Data

On Mac

~/.local/share/BTCloud-Data/

Make a backup of all files and folders in that folder (best to zip them and save to Desktop)

Delete the .db files in this folder

3. After this the user will need to set up the backup and sync folders

Make sure that it's using the same backend mapping as before for the same folder

Note that the client will see that the sync folder already exists, so it will suggest a new one

user will need to manually choose the old sync folder!​

This is the direct copy of the advice. I found I had to do a small interpolation of them on my devices, but that was no problem.

The only disappointment I now have (as I've only just got a second device, i.e. the laptop) is that to be able to access files on both devices, I have to put my files into the BT Cloud folder.  Be hanged if I'm going to reset all my pointers for the various programs whose data I want to access.

BTW, here comes Windows 11, be alert (Britain needs lerts!).

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 27

Go to solution

@Old_Deuteronomywrote:

The only disappointment I now have (as I've only just got a second device, i.e. the laptop) is that to be able to access files on both devices, I have to put my files into the BT Cloud folder.  Be hanged if I'm going to reset all my pointers for the various programs whose data I want to access.

If you want to put the files backed up from the first device onto the laptop the simplest way is to use Selective Download. Then use the Cloud directory to transfer changed files.

Selective Download.jpg

Message 20 of 27

Go to solution

Hi @Old_Deuteronomy ,

Thanks for these instructions. I’ll try this as I haven’t been able to back up properly for over four months. I have an ongoing complain but no one has mentioned this as a possible fix. I’ll let you know how I get on.

ta

Ade.

ps - I realise I’m posting on a resolved message.

0 Ratings