cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 27

Re: BT Cloud 21.4.10

Go to solution
Thanks, I'll give it a whirl when I've resolved some other issues I'm having (non-BT)
0 Ratings
Message 22 of 27

Go to solution

I have 21.4.10 on my laptop. Although the (empty) cloud icon is on the task bar, and I can select it, I always get a message 'trying to connect to servers'. When I select the icon the dialogue box with the web button etc shows along with a message 'recently updated'. However, when I select the web icon, the preferences button, or the 3 dots nothing happens apart from selecting 'about'.

Apart from the new version, I haven't changed anything. In desperation I have tried various other versions, including 20.6.1 that is working perfectly on my desktop. I only use the sync option so that I can access files on either computer when saved.

I have looked throughout the community for an answer as I have not had any help from phoning BT for assistance!

Any ideas please as I have got used to using this facility of saving to one place to access from either machine (or my phone)?

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 27

Go to solution

@paynes1wrote:

I have 21.4.10 on my laptop. Although the (empty) cloud icon is on the task bar, and I can select it, I always get a message 'trying to connect to servers'. When I select the icon the dialogue box with the web button etc shows along with a message 'recently updated'. However, when I select the web icon, the preferences button, or the 3 dots nothing happens apart from selecting 'about'.

Apart from the new version, I haven't changed anything. In desperation I have tried various other versions, including 20.6.1 that is working perfectly on my desktop. I only use the sync option so that I can access files on either computer when saved.

I have looked throughout the community for an answer as I have not had any help from phoning BT for assistance!

Any ideas please as I have got used to using this facility of saving to one place to access from either machine (or my phone)?

It can take quite a few hours for the new version to load, depending upon the size and number of your files, so please be patient.

When you open the sysmenu, by clicking once on the small black cloud, ensure that it looks like the sysmenu in the presentation below, in terms of the number of icons along the top, i.e. 3 on the left and 2 on the right.

If there are only 2 icons at the top left, it will not be ready to start.

Click on the link below to get a presentation on how to use Version 21.4.10:

https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/UyIOkdtmz2

This presentation provides some tips on what you should expect to see and do.

When you first start BT Cloud Version 21.4.10, you will be asked to check and set up your Preferences.  If these are correct, I would still advise you to click 'Save' on all of the Preferences screens.

Please let me know how you get on.

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 27

Go to solution

JTS1

Many thanks for taking the time to answer.

The presentation was informative, I have been using BT Cloud for some 5-6 years in various forms. My desktop using 20.6.1 is still working correctly.

I uninstalled 21.4.10 from my laptop using Control Panel and installed it again using the link in the web version of BT Cloud via my BT. The 'blue cloud' shortcut icon was not on the desktop. The 'empty' cloud icon was in the the task bar and when I put the mouse pointer over it it said it was 'trying to connect to servers'. When I clicked on the icon the box opened, the cloud was green with a tick denoting sync complete, there was 'RECENTLY UPDATED' in the box but nothing else, the folder icon was missing, the web icon was present. The preferences icon was present to the right with three dots. When I put the pointer over the icons it told me what they were but nothing happened when I clicked on them. The three dots only had 'about' and 'exit' available.

I left the computer on overnight to give it time, but nothing changed. I restarted the computer, but the cloud icon did not reappear in either the sys tray or the taskbar. It still shows in Control Panel/Programs, however, there is not a 'cloud icon' next to the programme name and I'm sure there used to be.

As a non-techie it is as if the programme/App isn't loading correctly?

Thanks

Steve P

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 27

Go to solution

Have you tried the procedure I wrote about above in my posting 08-07-2021 11h44?  I found this sorted out my problems.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 27

Go to solution

Hello @paynes1       I checked my Desktop "A" and Laptop and they both show the blue cloud icon next to the BT Cloud for Windows entry in Control Panel>Programs and Features. Strange thing for me was that they both showed today's date for the installation which is not really true.  Desktop "B" is in another room and hadn't been powered up since last week. It is connected by Wi-Fi to the router and so I removed the adapter. Powered up the PC and checked Control Panel.  It showed the installation date as being the 16th. July--last time it was powered up.

Power-On_No_Wi-FIPower-On_No_Wi-FI

I then replaced the adapter.  The empty cloud icon was in the System Tray and when I hovered over it I got the message "Trying to connect to servers".  I left it alone and about twenty seconds later, I saw activity in the previously empty cloud icon. 

All my files synced up now and when I checked Control Panel again, the date had changed to the present one.

Wi-Fi connectedWi-Fi connected

If you installed it yesterday, in your case the date shouldn't have changed.  So as far as I can see until you resolve the "trying to connect to servers", you're not going to sync files as you have found. 

You stated in a previous post that you had tried a version that works on your desktop, 20.6.1 with no success. 

I would be looking at the differences between your Desktop and Laptop.  I have a "funny" on my Laptop when I run a program called Belarc Adviser. If I'm connected thru Wi-Fi, it sometimes hangs when it tries to download the latest definition file from their server. I have to do a disconnect/reconnect and then it works, No problems using the web, email etc---just that one program!! I have no problem when I am connected thru an ethernet cable.  If your laptop is using the wi-fi try a direct connection--use your desktop cable if you don't have a spare.  

If that doesn't work I'd start looking at things like antivirus which might be blocking the connection. Try temporarily disabling it.

On my setups, I am running Windows 10  Version 19043.1110 with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes Premium.  ---no problems.

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 27

Go to solution

Thank you!

This worked for me too. I am very grateful because I am a veteran of previous BT Cloud issues (the dreaded "an unexpected error has occurred and the application cannot continue and will be paused") and was not looking forward to spending hours and hours getting this one resolved. I only use backup on the one laptop that had the problem. The previous version was working fine, then it updated and shortly thereafter stopped backing up. Unpinning the folders that I had actively been using, saving, then pinning them back and saving again did the trick.

Let's hope it lasts!

0 Ratings