cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SZYMAGEO01
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Cloud Backup Issue

I have used the Backup feature on my desktop to store data on BT Cloud. It took a few days to complete the exercise for about 70GB of data.

Initailly I could see the backed up folder in the "Current Backup Folders" list. However, it has now disappeared. I know the data is stored in BT cloud by looking at "My Activities" "Allfiles".

I do not wish to spend days repeating the backup exercises.

Any suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Cloud Backup Issue

Hi @SZYMAGEO01 and welcome.

@JoeV might be able to help with this. Can you take a look Joe?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
RKM
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

This sounds like it is the same problem I am having - see my post "How long for BTCloud to synch files?".  The Dashboard doesn't show anything until BTCloud has synched the status of all of the files in the backup.

I suggest leaving it running in the background for a while before launching the Dasboard app, which seems to work here.  Hopefully with 70GB of data you won't have to wait as long as I do with over 400GB, but it makes the service virtually unusable with large backup volumes.

I used to have my PC set to power down after 1hr without any use, to save energy.  Now it has to be left on 24/7 just so that BTCloud can start any backups!

0 Ratings
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 4 of 6

Hi @SZYMAGEO01,

As you say, removing a folder from the list of 'backed up' folders in the app won't remove any of the content from that folder from BT Cloud, so your stuff will all still be in your account.

If you re-add the folder to your list of 'backed up' folders then BT Cloud will compare the contents of this folder with BT Cloud, and where it can see a file already exists it won't bother uploaded it again. You should therefore find that the process of re-adding the folder goes a lot quicker (as I'm assuming there won't be much new stuff that needs uploading).

You can just set BT Cloud to back up the folder and then close the window - it'll do it's thing in the background. Please let me know if you run into any trouble or would like some more help?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Ratings
SZYMAGEO01
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

I have tried that but the folder in questions is around 60GB in size. My BT cloud limit is 100GB. BT Cloud makes the comparison but does not have enough storage to complete the transaction. Dont want to buy more storage.

0 Ratings
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 6 of 6

Hi @SZYMAGEO01,

If the BT Cloud software isn't allowing the backup to go ahead then it sounds like there's enough 'new content' in the backup to use up your 100GB quota.

This could be completely new files (that have never been backed up to BT Cloud before), or it could be because some of the files have been updated since your last backup (in which case a whole new Version would get added to BT Cloud).

You can read about managing versions / deleting old versions of files on our help content - look under BT Cloud on the Web, and then Managing File Versions.

In order to complete the folder backup you'd need to either free up space on your BT Cloud account or purchase more storage space / move to a broadband package that includes more storage for free. You can free up space by deleting some content you've backed up already, or by deleting previous 'Versions' of files.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Ratings