cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hobbes7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

BT Cloud: Files I permanently deleted are not permanently deleted

Ok, this is a follow-up to my thread about 230GB of my BT Cloud backups disappearing.

The "solution" to get my files back was to re-install the client. All my files slowly re-appeared without needing to re-upload them.

So, I then "permanently" deleted everything and decided not to use the service.

I then had second thoughts, and re-installed knowing that I would have re-upload everything (see above sentence about "permanently" deleting).

But, I ddin't need to re-upload anything. All my files were clearly still on the server! After "permanently" deleting them.

This is seriously concerning. So, I have two questions:

1. Are my files encrpyted on the BT Cloud servers?

2. Why do my files remain on the BT Cloud severs after "permanently" deleting them.

I'm guessing that my files are still associated to the account I was using when 230GB of data disappeared and re-installing the client somehow re-created a new account, since the message I got prior to losing 230GB of data was "iniitialising your account" or something similar.

This is confirmed by the fact that I have two BT cloud folders on on my harddrive:

BTCloud-somebigstring

BTCloud-anotherbigstring

I'm guessing my files are still associated with "somebigstring" even though they've been deleted from the "anotherbigstring" account.

So, if my files are gong to hang around the BT Cloud servers, lost on harddrives forever, I would like some assurance that they are encrypted. Or, confirmation that they have actually been deleted.

Thanks,

Richard

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
hobbes7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 22

Re: BT Cloud: Files I permanently deleted are not permanently deleted

Just had a challenging customer services experience. 1 hour and 20 minutes of hair pulling.

So, it went like this:

1. Call back from customer service to confirm my parental controls were fixed (thanks @JohnC2) and asked if they could close the fault. I said no because customer service raised the BT Cloud issue under the same fault.

2. So, I was passed through to the BT Cloud team. 30 minutes of explaining and screen sharing was entirely fruitless, so I asked to be put to the UK team.

3. I was passed to some sort of UK customer sevices department, but were not technical.

4. So, I was passed to a UK-based techincal person (hi Val!). Vall confirmed that my account had NO RECORD of any of the screenshares and conversations I had with customer services re: BT Cloud issue. He had trouble understanding my issue, had a chat with a technical person, and then passed me onto to the BT Cloud technical support.

5. I ended up offshore again, with similar levels of total misunderstanding and frustration. He said he will pass me onto someone else who could help.

6. The person I was passed to did not feel like speaking much, it seems. Anyway, it turns out this was the phone and broadband technical fault department, and could not deal with BT Cloud issues.

7. So, I was passed onto someone else who was also reluctant to speak at all. At this point, the call was cut and I got a continuous tone through the ear piece.

I would like a BT employee to confirm that those files lost on the BT Cloud servers are encrypted and only those with my credentials can read their contents. Also, I would like the files uploaded under my previous account (I can give that big number after the BT Cloud folder number) restored, so I can permanently delete them.

Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

@hobbes7 I'm really sorry about that, I've let your case handler know you've posted.  I can confirm your BT cloud files are secure and can only be viewed by you.

0 Ratings
hobbes7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 22

Neil, thanks for your reply.

I have a case handler? The UK rep told me yesterday that none of the hours of discussions with the reps since 26th (when I first had this issue) had been recorded in my notes regarding my issue with BT Cloud.

Also, please confirm that my files are ENCRYPTED, so that even if someone did get access to my files they cannot be viewed.

Thanks,
Richard

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

@hobbes7 I can see you've been in touch with Anne Louise from our office so I've left a message with her.  Yes BT Cloud uses encryption to ensure your data is secure and private.  

0 Ratings
hobbes7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 22

Anne Louise was dealing with my Parental Controls issue, which has now been resolved. Please be aware that, when I raised the BT CLoud issue last week, the reps gave me the *same* fault number as the Parental Controls issue.

No-one has spoken to me about my BT Cloud issue, except when I have called customer services. Nothing has resulted from that, not even the promised call-back last week.

0 Ratings
hobbes7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

So, had a call-back from Shane yesterday to confirm Parental Controls is fixed, which it is. yay! I mentioned my BT Cloud issue, and he drew a blank. I explained issue for 6th time, and said I will get a call back.

Got a call back from Elaine today, who said the solution to my problem is to delete my files, then empty my deleted items folder.

No, that is not my problem.

Elaine put me on hold to speak to someone else, and got cut off. Elaine thankfully called back and will speak to someone else.

I said to Elaine that I would try to explain my issue again in writing with the hope that the misunderstandings that have plagued my encounter with all support reps. Note to BT: this is not a cookie-cutter problem. It might need someone who knows the product on a technical level (hint: Synchronoss).

----------------------------

So, here goes:

I installed BT Cloud which created a folder on my called PC "BT Cloud-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx". I uploaded 230GB to this account over 7 days.

Then, one day, I logged onto the BT Cloud web inteface and got a message "You BT Cloud account is being initialised. Please login when completed to upload your files." (or something similar). But, I already HAVE uploaded my files! I already have an account!

I put this down to a glitch and logged in and I see that all my files had gone. Not even in "deleted items". "You have nothing backed up" it said. I'll pass over the woe I experienced when raising the issue with the BT Cloud team.

I got home, and all my files were visible in the desktop client but not in the web interface! Weird. With concern over my files rising, and with customer services not understanding the issue, I re-installed the desktop client.

Doing this gave me a second folder on my PC: "BT Cloud-yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" ie a DIFFERENT folder number to the first install. Note: any subsequent re-installs has not changed this number.

So, when re-adding folders into the backup set into this new install ("You have nothing backed up" and deleted items empty), the 100GB or so of files were SYNC'ed and not UPLOADED and took 6 hours rather than 7 days it took for the upload.

Concerned at this, once the re-sync had completed, I deleted all my files including from deleted items, and all the backup folders. I then added the folders back in: 100GB of data was SYNC'ed in 6 hours, and not uploaded.

During a screen share, I showed the rep that a 1.7GB video "uploaded" in a matter of seconds. No upload progress bar. Just "processing" and zap! the green arrow appears. Customer services hilariously suggested my internet was very quick. BT infinity may be fast but it aint that fast! My upload rate is 8Mbps, so this upload should take at lteast 20 minutes... which it did during the first upload. This time: no upload, just sync'ed.

So, here's the thing: If I permanently deleted my files (including from deleted items) and they no longer exist on BT Cloud's servers, how are my files being sync'ed rather than uploaded? If my files had truly been permanently deleted, adding these backups back in should take 7 days of geunine uploads with nice pink upload progress bar. Instead, they are not re-uploading (no pink progress bar) but sync'ing (just "processing") in 6 hours.

-----------------------------------------------------------

So, heres' the summary:

0. Weird glitch where I spontaneously got a new BT Cloud account, and all my files "disappeared" from BT Cloud interface.

1. Re-add 100GB of files to backup set. Files Sync'ed in 6 hours, not re-uploaded.

2. Delete files, backups and empty deleted items.

2. Re-add 100GB of the SAME files to backup set. Files Sync'ed in 6 hours, not re-uploaded.

---------------------------------

Even briefer summary:

1. Delete all uploaded files permanently.

2. Re-add files to backups.

3. Files are sync'ed not re-uploaded.

-----------------------------

I need my 230GB of personal files deleted from servers, which I suggest can be found linked to the "BT Cloud-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" BT Cloud "account" which was the folder I had when I first uploaded the files

I can provide the xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy numbers, if required.

I'm more than happy to receive phone calls to help resolve this.

0 Ratings
hobbes7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 22

Is there an update on this, please?

0 Ratings
hobbes7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Hello, could I have an acknowledgement that my issue is being looked at, rather than ignored?

0 Ratings
JoeeeeeeR
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 22

Hi @hobbes7,

This is mainly a public forum, so the best way to follow up on your problem would be to contact a mod (there are links in their signatures) or contact BT directly.

I notice that one of the Mod's has already confirmed that all your data is encrpyted. My understanding of how BT Cloud works is that all your data is asssociated with your BT ID, so assuming you've only ever been using one BT ID then I don't see any issue here? It sounds like the most likely thing is that the data you thought was deleted (that you describe as missing) was never actually deleted, and that when you told the PC client to re-upload it, it just found it was already on the cloud and so skipped the file. This feels like a much more efficient way of doing things than reuploading every file?

Cheers,

Joe

0 Ratings