cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
powellj3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

BT Cloud Initial Backup takes many days

I wish to keep a backup of all of my photographs and videos.  About 130Gb of photos and 80Gb of home videos.  I'd previously used Googles Picasa and backed up to Google's cloud offering, but as Picasa is dead I need to find a new way.  I noticed that I had 500Gb of space on BT Cloud.  Result!

Except that it is painfully slow.  I have a reasonable network connection (60mbs down / 18mbs up).  I've had my iMac on with BT Cloud running for about two days and have backed up only 20Gb.  Looking at the current rate of processing the 22k plus files remaining and I'm in for another 91 hours (4 days) of backup.  Actually it will be more because that's the rate of processing jpegs.  The RAW and mpegs will take many times longer.

The IOS activity monitor is showing data sent at 100kbs - which is hardly noticable on my network connection. 

Is there any way to speed this up?

Thanks  Jonathan

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Cloud Initial Backup takes many days

Use an external hard drive instead. If need be, use a couple of them and back them up twice. Keep one in a fireproof box with other importand documents.

Cloud storage is usually very slow.

0 Ratings
powellj3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

I do.

i use time machine on my iMac and have a mirror copy on a PC which also has a local backup.  This isn't about local backups this is about backing up to the cloud.  Call me paranoid if you must. 

Local backups are fine for recovering files quickly but can fail.  Taking an extra copy and keeping it in a fire safe is better.  But a fire safe is expensive (thousands) and very very heavy.  I suppose keeping the second copy at a friends /relative would be an option.

but the fact remains that BT offer a 500Gb service and for that to have any value I should be able to back up 200Gb in less than a week of 24/7 computer time.

0 Ratings
JoeeeeeeR
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Hi @powellj3,

I've found the speed of BT Cloud to be really variable. Sometimes it's lightening fast, and other times painfully slow. From what I've been able to work out, this has more to do with the file type than the internet connection or available processing power on the machine.

My advise would be to stick with it - I just let BT Cloud do it's thing in the background, and once it's done you're initial backup you should find it doesn't take too long to keep your files in sync. I don't have any advice that's more helpful than that I'm afraid - and I wholeheartedly applaud your 'paranoid' backup strategy 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
FrequentSea
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Hi jonathan,

Experiencing a similar issue at the moment however with a big music library rather than photo's and videos.

I seem to get about 100-200MB of lightning quick upload speed, it tapers off to incremental 100KBps behaviour then I start getting Unknown Errors for a bit till I close and re-open the application. Running the Mac flavour here.

If that initial speed was stable throughout they'd have a winning solution on their hands. Pretty underwhelmed with it at the moment, especially as there isn't an opt out to lower your bill.

Right, soap box put away! Fingers crossed there's a happy medium to be found.

0 Ratings