cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tynesidespur
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Cloud - Linux/NAS backup

I have just signed up to make use of my free 50GB BT Cloud allowance.

At the moment it will backup data on my laptop with Windows 7 installed.

I would also like to configure it to backup data from my NAS which has a linux OS installed.

Are there any plans to add a linux app/support?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Cloud - Linux/NAS backup

I can't answer the question directly, but it may be that the Windows solution will work with Wine, if you are able to install that on the NAS?  

0 Ratings
charlies
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I had a 'chat' support session trying to get clarification on what can be done from a Linux machine with BT Cloud...

The support agent confirmed that the statement on the publicity 'your BT Cloud data can be accessed from any computer, any location' means that you can access the Cloud from a Linux machine'; but he asked me to call the help line to clarify what could NOT be done from the Linux machine since it would not using the 'BT cloud app' that is the really the only aspect of 'only supported on Windows and Apple devices' in this story...

The phone support agent was not aware of the implications of the 'access from any computer' statement on the BT web..Smiley Mad and it sounds like she is going to try and get the wording on the publicity page changed to say 'no Linux'...Smiley Sad

She also could not explain why I could not see the links for setting up the BT Cloud from my 'myBT' account that is associated with my BT business line (I have 2 BT lines and 2 broadband accounts, so I am a good customer, really..).

@sjtp: the OP NAS device is probably a stand-alone consumer market product/accessory, so it probably does not have an x86 CPU inside & WINE will not solve anything...

@tynesidespur: do you have any experience / views on accessing the BT Cloud from a Linux device that you can share with us ?

0 Ratings
ian-warks
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

I have used Dropbox (for free) for ages, and I started looking at others (such as livedrive) to compare prices - thats when BT Cloud surfaced on my radar.  I installed it on my Windows-7 PC to look at it - even though I could not see any Linux support - I half expected to find some way to use it from Linux (EG a web interface ala Dropbox - which gets me around some proxy problems I have had in the past).  But NO - BT Cloud seems to be fixed to their installed client, AND the client is rubbish - it does not even Quit fully/cleanly when requested.

I de-installed it, and wont even be looking to at the "free" upgrade to 2GB (so long as I sign a new BT contract).

Yours, disappointed (as usual) with BTs slow uptake on user requirements,

Ian

0 Ratings
charlies
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

just to answer my own question on 'Cloud with Linux' experience'; & re-inforce the statement Ian-Warks is making: the script used by BT help line people AND existing BT literature should really be clarified to say:

- it IS possible to set-up a BT Cloud 'account' from a 'pure Linux' machine provrided the browser there is compatible with the requirements of the MyBT 'portal'..

It worked for me with a Ubuntu 11.10 OS running Firefox 19 (with Ad-Block Plus & Noscript appropriately configured)

- it IS possible to push either individual files or a group that are selected with the equivalent of Windows Explorer (Nautilis on my machine)  from the Linux PC after logging in via the Web interface to the BT Cloud; even to a dedicated folder in the BT Cloud account if that has been created .

(described elsewhere on this board).

Retrieving files 'seems similar'; have not tested that yet.

- what is NOT possible is to run the 'app' that BT provide (currently for Windows + MAC environments) which 'synchronizes' BT Cloud content to your local hard disk content automatically (ie finds changed files and sends to the Cloud).

Simple work-around if you want to put a LOT of files onto the BT Cloud without too much effort from a Linux machine: use tar/bzip etc to create a single large archive file and push that up to the Cloud.. & accept the drawbacks of not having an incremental back-up..

0 Ratings
ian-warks
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

This is just a poke to keep this updated from time to time - I still see no reason to move from Dropbox - both give me 50GB and one is usable...

Also see : https://community.bt.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/BBOut/message-id/15532

Ian

0 Ratings
ian-warks
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

2016-05-11 email from BT to me : Subject "We’ve noticed you haven’t been using your free BT Cloud storage."

If only there was a way to reply to that email...  as being pointed to this forum seems like a deaf ear.

It has been over 3 years, and STILL BT think the web browser option is ok for them to advertise Linux support...

0 Ratings
poppyfields
Message 8 of 8

Just joined BT for first time. A small part was do do with the 50Gb storage. I only use Linux (don't have windows or Mac). As BT do not allow me to utilise the storage is this false advertising? Do I get any refund if I cannot use it?
0 Ratings