cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kiwisteve
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Cloud Smart Folders not working -- Progress??

BT Cloud Smart Folders feature does not work consistently HOWEVER after many calls to the support centre 0800 500 3114 BT have finally acknowledged that it is a fault with the product and not a problem with my operation of the app or my computer.

They advise that they are looking to include a fix when the app is updated next - as yet there is no time frame for this but likely to be months rather than weeks. Mr Kalam Level 2 Support Supervisor has confirmed 1) that I can use his name in this post and 2) that anyone else having a problem with Smart Folders should call the support centre and get a fault case file number raised as this may assist in scoping the extent of the problem and may also assist ensuring sufficient resources are allocated to fixing the fault. NOTE: Mr Kalam is on leave and in his absence Mr Arijit is handling this issue and has also confirmed his name can be used in this post. 

BT have promised me a call back next Friday to update re progress which I will post here.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Cloud Smart Folders not working -- Progress??

Hi Steve,

Sorry you're having trouble with Smart Folders. I've sent you an email with a request for some more information. We do have a tweak to how Smart Folders work planned in our release pipleine, but I'd like to understand a little more about your experiance to check what difference it'll make for you.

Thanks,

Joe

BT Cloud ExpertJoeV
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Cloud. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, on BT Cloud queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Kiwisteve
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Having spoken to JoeV on Friday 24th I concluded that the Smart Folders that weren't being created in my instance were all folders where there were fewer than 5 Jpegs in the respective folders [a rule that I discovered in JoeV's reply to another post - I wasn't aware that there were any such rules] .... HOWEVER

I have now started a completely new upload [ensuring the 5 Jpeg rule was followed] and after loading x18 folders there are only x14 Albums created in the Photos view of the Website  albeit all x18 are visible in the All my files view.

The x4 missing albums do not seem to have anything in common that I can see.

JoeV, can you organise to have a look at this via remote access? 

Thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 4 of 7

Hi @Kiwisteve,

Here's a list of the full rules that determine if the Smart Folders function will create an album or not:

·         The 'Smart Folder' functionality needs to be set to 'ON' in the desktop software (on the settings page)

·         The folder must contain a minimum of 5 files with the following extensions: jpg, jpeg, tif, png, pict

·         At least 90% of all files in the folder must be images with the above extensions

·         The folder in question must be a maximum of 4 levels beneath the backup folder. As an example, if you've set your 'Pictures' folder as a backup folder, then four layers of subfolders would be turned into Smart Folders.

The things I'd recommend checking first are:

1. See if there are other files in the folders (including hidden files) that might mean less than 90% of the files in the folder were images with the above extensions.
  2. Check to make sure the folders in question are not more than four layers above the folder you've told BT Cloud to Backup. As an example, if I had added my User folder to my backup folders list in BT Cloud then Smart Albums should get created for any folders inside C:\Users/Joe/Pictures/[photo albums], but if my file structure was C:/Users/Joe/Pictures/2017/[Photo Albums] then no Smart Albums would be created as my actual photo album folders are 5 levels beneath the folder I'd told BT Cloud to backup.

If it looks like the folders in question do meet the Smart Folder rules but they still haven't been created then please send me an email (using the address you had before) and I'll get our developers to take some logs and see what's going wrong.

Thanks,

Joe

BT Cloud ExpertJoeV
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on BT Cloud. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, on BT Cloud queries. Go here for more info.
0 Ratings
Kiwisteve
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Hi Joe,

For clarity:-

A) Does the rule require i) 90% of the Number of files to be Jpegs etc OR ii) 90% of the Size of files to be Jpegs etc OR iii) both number and size?

B) Is there a maximum number of Jpegs or total size per folder?

C) Is there a maximum size for any individual Jpeg [or jpg, pdf etc]?  

The x4 folders not created as Albums have the following characteristics:-

1). 108 jpgs total 165 MB and 1 pdf 2.9 MB   all up 109 files total 167.9MB

2). 6 jpgs total 5.4MB 0 pdfs  all up 6 files total 5.4MB

3). 7 jpgs total 3.8MB and 3 pdfs total 13.2MB all up 10 files total 17MB

4). 5 jpgs total 1.9MB and 1 pdf 3.2MB all up 6 files total 5.1MB

There is no difference in my folders level and the "Smart Folder" functionality has been turned on.

Above info posted here rather than by email as the clarification of A) - C) may benefit others.

After clarification of the above queries I'll email separately as you suggest.

Thanks

Steve

0 Ratings
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 6 of 7

Hi @Kiwisteve,

The 90% refers to the number of files. Based on that you've posted below, i would expect Smart Folders to have been created for folders 1 and 2, but not folders 3 and 4 (as neither of these folders are 90% image files).

Thanks,

Joe

BT Cloud ExpertJoeV
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”
0 Ratings
Kiwisteve
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Hi Joe,

Folders 3 and 4 successfully created by adding more Jpegs. Thanks.

I have also added more Jpegs to folders 1 and 2 to see if this "nudges" them in to action - so far no luck.

I have also now uploaded another 14 folders [total 32] and of these x4 have not appeared as Albums i.e. total of x6 not created from 32 uploaded.  All folders are at the same level and have been checked for being over 90% Jpegs.

I'll leave this overnight in case it is just a lag in the process and update tomorrow.

Cheers

Steve

0 Ratings