Had at look at the other threads, and have tired a number of the solutions but have not been able to find a resolution.
I have 200gb of storage on my BT cloud, but it is saying I have used 80GB. By my working out, I have used 15gb, and when I look through my files and can I can only account for the aforementioned 15GB.
Any help is appreciated.
Do you have any large files which are regularly updated or modified?
BTCloud maintains an infinite (until it runs out of allocated space) number of copies of your files, so that you can restore earlier versions if you make erroneous edits or deletes. However each version counts against your allocated space, hence your usage can easily exceed what you expect.
The problem is most commonly caused by Outlook files such as .pst and .ost files. These can be quite large in themselves, but can also be modified by Outlook every few minutes. If you have them in a folder which is backed up then you can easily get 50-100 copies of them in the BTCloud, each of which is counted against your allocation.
If that is the problem then the recommendation is to modify your Outlook settings to move the .pst or .ost files to a location which is not backed up. Then go into the BTCloud web interface and delete the .pst and .ost files that are already there to free up the space. (You can also see individual versions of these files by going into "All files" and then drill down to the folder with the Outlook files. Right click on any of them and scroll down to "more" at the bottom of the dialog, then select "view versions". That will show you how many copies of each file has been stored. If you have multiple copies then you can then decide whether to keep or delete the older versions. Same with any other large file that is frequently changed.)
Whilst that fixes the problem with BTCloud, it does mean that your Outlook files aren't backed up at all, so you could potentially lose a lot of personal information in the event of a hard drive failure.
I have implemented a strategy which overcomes this. As above, I set Outlook to move (and use) the files to a place which isn't backed up to BTCloud. I then wrote a small batch file to close Outlook, copy the files to a folder which is backed up to BTCloud, and then start Outlook again. I set the Task Scheduler to run this batch file once a month or so, resulting in the Outlook files being backed up once a month, instead of every 10 minutes. My email server retains email for a month anyway so, between that and the BTCloud, there are continuous and complete backups of all of my email and calendar records.
Backing up Outlook files once a month this way, instead of every 10 minutes that Outlook interrogates the email server, means all of their versions take up about 4000x less space in my BTCloud allocation without any loss of backup security. Put another way, it will take 12 years for BTCloud to back up as many versions of the Outlook files as it would in a single day, if they were in a backed up folder. I expect BTCloud allocations will have increased many times over by then. 😉
I was actually responding to mikey_blue's original message: BTCloud is reporting more usage than he can account for.
Whilst there are certainly improvements which could be made to the app, I've not had any problems with it reporting inaccurate usage. YMMV.
On the other hand, there are perfectly valid reasons why the issue mikey_blue reported will and, for any competent backup system, should occur. I explained a common example and how to deal with that.