cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

BT Cloud - The specified path, file name or both are too long

Go to solution

HI 

BT Cloud has now stopped backing up on my PC. It is showing an error "The specified path, file name or both are too long". 

Unfortunately it doesn't tell me what file it's having problems with and just stops - It would be much better if it reported the problem by telling me what the file is and then carry on backing up other files.

It started after I installed v21.4.10 - it was all ok (as far as it is possible to be ok at least) before that.

I have looked at the diagnostic log, but the file that is being reported is not there and the path / filename is not very long anyway. 

I'm a bit stuck now.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: BT Cloud - The specified path, file name or both are too long

Go to solution

@mb2wrote:

HI 

BT Cloud has now stopped backing up on my PC. It is showing an error "The specified path, file name or both are too long". 

Unfortunately it doesn't tell me what file it's having problems with and just stops - It would be much better if it reported the problem by telling me what the file is and then carry on backing up other files.

It started after I installed v21.4.10 - it was all ok (as far as it is possible to be ok at least) before that.

I have looked at the diagnostic log, but the file that is being reported is not there and the path / filename is not very long anyway. 

I'm a bit stuck now.

The software I use to backup to my external hard drives throws out similar messages (but does not then die). In every case I've checked it was the path that was too long, not the filename. Caused by having too deep a directory structure.

There will be ways to locate the offending structure, but nothing straight-forward that I can think of.

Certainly a Moderator should consider raising it as a bug.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
Thanks Geoff

I tried extending the path length in W10 as you suggested in an earlier response you made (now gone?). Which did not solve the problem.

I have run PathLengthChecker (a free app) and there are several paths that are greater than the std 256 characters. All of them are "old" structures, which have been on the PC for years (and indeed have been backed up by BT cloud previously), so this would appear to be a new "feature" in the newer version.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

I have now removed all path lengths that are greater than  260 Characters and that are set for backup by BT cloud. 

Error persists - I also run a local backup to another disk, which works and has continued to work throughout.

This seems to be an error introduced in v21.4.10

A resolution would be good!

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

Hi @mb2 and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry you're having a few problems with the BT Cloud. I'd like to take a closer look at this for you. I'll drop you a private message now so you can get in touch.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Hi Did this get resolved,  I have the same problem?  thanks   It used to work now doesn't and as you say,  doesn't tell you which files.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution
I think it did, with help from the BT Cloud helpdesk. The process was to uninstall BT Cloud, delete the log and dbf files (not at my desk now, but they were in [username]/appdata/local and there were two folders for BTCloud - I renamed them. Then reinstall BT Cloud.

I say I think it is sorted, because that was a week ago and it is still synching., Which is weird.

I also seem to have another problem though now, which is that the Android App didn't show any of the new files that had been updated to BTCloud, so I reinstalled the app - it is now stuck on the initial update!

So good news / bad news.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

thanks... I'll give it a go..

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

I have the same problem with version and get an error message saying the path or filename is too long.  I have checked the lengths of all the paths and filenames on my PC and none are longer that 256 characters.

Was there ever a solution to this problem please?

I am also getting an error message which says "An error has occurred, the application cannot continue and will be paused."   No reason is given, which is not very helpful

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

I just reinstalled BT Cloud and it started to work.  However,  I'm so fed up of problems with BT Cloud, I have since deleted it all and gone over to Google Drive.  I shall also look for other broadband once the contract is over.  Good luck.

0 Ratings