Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
graystreet
Contributor
Message 321 of 651

Re: File Format in BT Cloud

I can't help with Synology but I've been using this for 2 years and it's been faultless.

QNAP TS-212P 2 Bay Desktop NAS Enclosure

0 Ratings
doleawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 322 of 651

@graystreet wrote:

I can't help with Synology but I've been using this for 2 years and it's been faultless.

QNAP TS-212P 2 Bay Desktop NAS Enclosure

These things are great but what happens if the house burns down? Thats my rationale behind having a perosnal cloud back up and thats why the BT offer of 100GB worked for me, that was until they decided to make it unusable.

Ok lets take what has happened here into the workplace. Mistakes are made ( yes it looks like this update was designed in a dark room by somoene who has never used a computer before) that aside as I say mistakes are made. Imagine though you are at your desk and your IT dept break what you are using, make it unusable, make it impossible for you to do your work or trust your PC. 2 weeks later they have not spoken to you or given you any update, the person who desgined and authorised that changed would be sacked by the CEO. We get some nice mods trying to calm us, not a word, not one update. Thats how much BT care about us as customers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 323 of 651

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@ianfen2 wrote:

Hi,

The new BT Cloud ap appears to be saving files created in excel on my laptop with an .xlsx file extension rather than .xls Then when I try to download a file on my ipad it starts OK by creating a zipped file (although I have to highlight two files, it seems incapable of downloading just one file).  However when I then nunzip the file and try to open it I get the message that the file cannot be opened.

Help please

Ian 

Ignoring the "two file" issue, what is the format of the unzipped excel file?. There is an ms office for ipad app, which should open xlsx files. Xlsx are for excel 2010 and 365, and possibly 2007.

I had the office apps on the iPad mini, but deleted all - too small and fiddly for the mini. Also they require huge monthly updates.

I'll do a check tomorrow.

Another reason for dumping iPad office was that Apple try to impose their own icloud storage on the user.

@ianfen2

You need iOS 8 or later on the iPad...That's the basic requirement for xlsx files..

If you have MS Office 20110, or 2016 (Office 365) for Windows or latest Office for Mac, then you could install the Office version for iPad, or search fo an alternative file viewer.

Hope this information helps, but it doesn't help any BT Cloud problems you may have.

0 Ratings
ianfen2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 324 of 651

Thanks,

i have Microsoft version 2010 on my iPad and are using Goodreader to unzip the downloaded files and then to 'open in'

0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 325 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Upgrade(?), what have you done?

Yesterday I spent some time in removing all my data from BT Cloud using the enhanced customer aware software. I confirmed this by temporarily using the new software before I removed it from my PC.

to double check I went also to the old software which tells me I have 39gb still there, I cannot delete this at all, each time I try I get amessage telling me to upgrade to the software that tells me the 39gb isn't there !

So just where is this 39 gb hiding I wonder ?

Mercifully  it is only photos which I have other copies of anyway.

last night I emailed the BT Cloud support desk to ask why they are forcing Android users to update to software that will not run on Android 6 when the old app did.

Predictably no reply as yet, as per the rest of BT on this whole disgraceful issue which has messed up backup issues across multiple platforms.

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 326 of 651

@McSykes wrote:
OK, any NAS drive recommendations?  Looking at a synology, anybody have any recommendations? 

Synology has a good reputation but is more expensive than some.

I use mostly Zyxel. Basic but effective. I also have a DLink. I wouldn't recommend that. It was on offer and now I know why.

Look for a few basic features, such as Wakeup On Lan. (Good for command-line backup sessions from a PC.) The DLink doesn't do that.

Also scheduled power on/off.

Check them for their backup features. And ensure that they can handle the drives you fancy. Some older NAS cannot handle modern 4TB+ drives.

The Zyxels will synch with Google Drive, so if you want that it is another thing to check. (I have yet to see an NAS that can synch to the BT Cloud, but that does not surprise me.)

It is because I have an array of NAS that I have never put much strain on BT Cloud. Just as well since I have not been able to get into BT Cloud since the "update". I get struck in a closed loop for login.

0 Ratings
Venner
Contributor
Message 327 of 651

It appears there has been some progress. It is a shame no one at BT thinks it worthwhile keeping people informed on what's happening.

Previously, it appeared that data backed up to the cloud prior to some time around 12th August was viewable using both the old and the new frontends.

But, data backed up since then under the new app did not appear in the old app, and vice versa.  Some time late yesterday however, all data backed up since 12 August is visible using both old and new frontends. 

So far so good, but it's come at a price. I'm now told on the devices where I still have only the old app that I must install the new software or nothing will be backed up.

I could live with even this, BUT, the problem I raised initially related to the app for Windows phone persists, meaning I cannot install the new app. Despite making many posts on the various attempt to install the app on Windows nphone, I have had zero feedback from BT even after "providing my details".  I'm sat looking again at a phone which is, and will be for eternity, telling me "We are updating your data to improve performance. This may take a short while, please wait...." 

Could someone at BT tell us what they tghink they are doing?

It really is poor

0 Ratings
Message 328 of 651

Hi @SteveKJ Sorry about the problem with your Cloud account. 

Will you send us your details by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods so we can help fix this for you.   

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 329 of 651

@ianfen2 wrote:

Thanks,

i have Microsoft version 2010 on my iPad and are using Goodreader to unzip the downloaded files and then to 'open in'

@ianfen2 wrote:

Thanks,

@ianfen2
@ia

Somehow or other I got BT Cloud to open an xlsx on the iPad.

Download the iPad app, don't use the web app.

The file opens.

In my case it's too difficult to attempt to edit, (don't see close without magnifiers).

what I think is happening is that it's opening in PDFs.

I have Adobe PDF viewer installed.

Also have FILES PRO app installed, but it will not integrate with BT Cloud.

It will take some time to see what is happening, exactly.

I can't make any sense out of the web app, however, other than to upload, not download and view.

0 Ratings
Venner
Contributor
Message 330 of 651

Much to my astonishment, the Windows phone version of the new app has finally successfully installed on one of my phones.

(Version 15.4.10.9 for the record).

The interface is, of course, appalling, undocumented and far from intuitive.

Having worked out how to supposedly backup from phone to cloud (and why on earth is ther no "select all" option?), it tells me it has prepared a backup, and then an "Upload complete" message appears.

So, result, you might think. But, unsurprisingly, no. None of the allegedly uploaded files are visible in the cloud from any device.

What is being done to fix this?

0 Ratings