cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doleawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 371 of 651

Re: BT Cloud will not remember settings and shows files as not backed up when they are

@grahcurtis wrote:

After posting about my problems I had a think.  The 'new' up updated over the old one so perhaps it was affected by any issues the old app had.  So I uninstalled the whole program, rebooted and then reinstalled the desktop app.  As a result, by backup now works, although it was not totally plain sailing.

Firstly, the settings issue has been solved - what I tick / untick stays ticked / unticked.

The file backup created a brand new backup set.  All my 20k+ / 9Gb of files has been uploaded to the Cloud afresh, apart from 5 random ones.  Using the little status flag on the folder / file icons it was easy to locate these 5 files, make a new copy of them and delete the originals.  The new copies all backed up OK

I've just been onto the Cloud website and deleted the original backup set, leaving only the new one.  Added a few new files 'to be sure' and every one uploaded almost immediately

So my system is now working fine.  Maybe an uninstall / reinstall will solve some of the issues being discussed here.

If this is how you are supposed to use your cloud back up and 'trust' it, then the solution is the worst ever invented.

Been stated before if cloud is the future then you have to trust it. a system down for 3 weeks with no update, feedback or apology is not a system that can be trusted and is actaully a mockery to technology 

0 Ratings
doleawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 372 of 651

Re: BT Cloud will not remember settings and shows files as not backed up when they are

I have tweeted BBC Click with a link to this thread and forum. Lets see.....

0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 373 of 651

Further to the note from graha(?) out of academic interest I did some testing with the Desktop version.

Yes it will upload however there is some strange selection criteria upon which it decides whether or not to create a Smart Folder which is really the folder name you had on your PC before uploading.

Any folder which has a numeric name in the format Year_Month_Day will be uploaded and dumped in the total morass of photos and NO smart folder will created in that name format, I have done numerous tests and this is the case every time. I have tried reversing the format, using . , cant use / with the same results.

I tries various names Easter_2009 No smart folder created, Christmas_2012 did get a smart folder.

Thus in uploading files many folders could be missing but the pictures dumped in the general heap.

I have tried many formats and only conclude if an original folder name is all alpha characters you will probably get a smart folder but it does seem to depend on the  number of Alpha characters, and also the number of folders being loaded at any one time.

Surely this should have been found in testing, assuming there was any.

My findings thus far convince me that removal of all my data, soon to be followed by this test data was the right decision.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Uppy
Contributor
Message 374 of 651

=================================

RobbieMac wrote:

Hi guys,

We’re really sorry that a small number of customers are still experiencing problems with BT Cloud. For customers who are experiencing app issues on the Desktop app, we are due to release a new update to this by the middle of next week which should resolve the issue you’re experiencing.

==================================

So the middle of next week has now been and gone, and still no new release.

Any chance of a status update?

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 375 of 651

Come on. Stop whining, it is only "a small number of customers".

Grrr. When will BT fix this mess?

The only sign of change so far is that they now say "a small number of customers" rather than "a few of customers".

Anyone got an idea what BT means by a small number? Something less than the CEOs 7-figure salary?

0 Ratings
David500
Aspiring Contributor
Message 376 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Upgrade(?), what have you done?

Last week I uninstalled the BT Cloud app from all of my devices and then deleted all the files that were transfered into the new BT Cloud Website.

Then I installed the following apps:
(1) Windows 10 Desktop and then backed up my photos and music
(a) Photos backed up, but when you view them in the BT Cloud Website or the phoneapp they have not been saved in the smart folders.
(b) Music backed up,

(2) Windows 10 Phone and then backed up my photos
(a) When you view the "Photos" they have not been saved in the smart folders.
(b) When you view the "Music" tracks within the albums are displayed alphabetically, not in track order as displayed in the BT Cloud Website.
(c) When you view the Music Artists displays the "Contributing Artist" but not the "Album Artist".
(d) "All Files", "BT Cloud", "My Phone" displays the photos as a mixed up list and not in the individual folders.
(e) "All Files", "Windows Desktop", "C", "Music" displays a mixed up list of folder names, not sorted alphabetically.
(f) "All Files", "Windows Desktop", "C", "Photos" displays a mixed up list of folder names, not sorted alphabetically.

BT Cloud Website
(a) When you view the "Photos" they have not been saved in the smart folders.
(b) Wnen you view the "Music"
(c) When you view "All My Files", "Windows Desktop" displays "This folder is empty.", where as Windows 10 Phone app displays the folders for Music & Photos on my PC.
(d) When you view "All My Files", "BT Cloud" displays the photos from my Windows 10 phone as a list of files but they are in separate folders.

(e) Canyou download albums/folders? I have only found how to download individual files.

0 Ratings
Tonyclark
Message 377 of 651

And any chance the new update will work on Vista? If not can I have the old app back?

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 378 of 651

@Tonyclark wrote:

If not can I have the old app back?

That will never happen. The app is just a part of BTCloud. This is now on a completely different system run by a different company, Synchronoss. (Thankfully, BT doesn't run its cloud.) So bringing back the old app will do nothing.

Fewer than 2% of Windows users are still run Vista. Microsoft will stop providing security updates next year.

0 Ratings
Message 379 of 651

Hi Everyone,

The new updated version of the desktop application is now available. If you currently have the desktop app installed you will be prompted to upgrade. If the pop up doesn’t appear within 24 hours, or you wish to expedite the process, you can upgrade at bt.com/cloud and hit the Download BT Cloud button. Please let us know if you continue to have any problems.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Venner
Contributor
Message 380 of 651

"OK, why not?"  I thought.

Downloaded and installed the new version of the desktop app. Seems to be much the same as the previous version I had. I can't see any changes in the Dashboard. Is there any hint to be gives as to what "improvements" are included?

But, in what may just be a coincidence, there is a major step forwards in the web interface. In the "Photos"  option, all uploaded pictures are helpfully now shown twice.

0 Ratings