cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 551 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Upgrade(?), what have you done?

Updated Desktop Software as indicated, update went OK.

Loaded 10 Folders in one go, containing 120 files, mostly Jpegs one PSD of 14.4Mb. Total 203MB. No discernible difference in loading, average jpeg size 2.5 mb, load time 5-7 secs. The PSD  took 40 secs and still stutters, it does not like PSD. Four messages received about Smart folders though I loaded 10. Shut down Desktop and signed out. Logged on to Cloud via web (Firefox) only 4 Albums there, the rest in a morass of pictures. Signed out, loaded one folder via Desktop, got confirmation of Smart folder. Logged out again and looked via web and Album is there.

So out of 11 folders loaded I only got 5 identifiable in the Cloud, rest of photos scattered around.

Proving that the inability to duplicate the folder structure is load related, ie the more folders you load up the less folders you will get in the Cloud and the bigger morass of photos.

Have yet to check with Ipad but I guess it will only be 5, Ipad confirms only 5 Albums (Smart Folders ?)

0 Ratings
PJ_Maybe
Aspiring Expert
Message 552 of 651

OK - downloaded update.

Still wont let me set a folder for back up due to being too large - but as I have posted before, it is the same folder that the original cloud backed-up happily

0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 553 of 651

Whilst we are all grateful I am sure from the Update from JohnC2 it does nevertheless beg some very serious questions of BT.

The Product BT Cloud still has some very serious flaws in it and should not have been publicly released not forgetting that some customers said they had lost data posing the question as to what level of real testing BT did.

The "folder" really is the basic mode in which photos or other documents are stored, without that convention loose photos or anything else in any numbers are meaningless. If the "product" cannot mirror the folder structure as we know and use it it is useless for any data especially high volumes . The previous working BT Cloud mirrored the folder structure exactly for each device and any replacement product should have done this, if it needed extensive modification to even do that then quite frankly it is the wrong product.

We are grateful for a response at last but to be quite frank any long term plans (2017) are quite meaningless when what we have now clearly struggles to even match today what we had before let alone glossy enhancements. By the time they actually arrive a significant number of customers like me will have removed any data from BT Cloud and my 500 "free" gb will spinning empty. 

0 Ratings
McSykes
Aspiring Contributor
Message 554 of 651

The update is now on the abacus platform,think the Greeks invented it around  thousand years ago ish.! lol😅

The only upgrade that can fix this is returning to the old platform, you  know ,it's the one that actually worked!

BT, please start to use the KISS process.... Keep It Simple....Stupid!

0 Ratings
graystreet
Contributor
Message 555 of 651

Yesterday I uploaded, using Amazon Desktop app, my NAS photo collection ( consisting of 28Gb of files ( 20,000 ) files in 480 folders to Amazon drive in a little under 4 hours. Maxing out my 17Mbps upload speed constantly. The folder structure was kept intact.

I just tried the same thing using the latest BT Desktop app and gave up after 20 minutes as it was saying "preparing backup" and, as far as I could tell looking at Network activity, not doing very much.

I tried again using 600Mb of files ( 1400 files ) in 78 folders an it took a little under 40 minutes with the upload speed running at a little under 500 kbps some of the time peaking at 2 Mbps on occasion.  I turned off Smart Folders in the app, as they're anything but Smart, before starting the upload.

The folder structure, not very complicated it must be said, was retained as far as I could tell from looking under "All my files" in a browser window.

Amazon Drive seems to process 4 files at a time and processes them a lot faster than the BT app processes a single file.

Don't even get me started on the Android app which merged my wife's and my Contact lists without warning, luckily I have very few contacts so it didn't take too much cleaning up, but somebody more sociable then me would have had a major job on their hands.

Ironically when I logged into BT to look at my cloud it said I wasn't using much of my 500GB allowance and that I should look at setting up backups, hell will freeze over before that happens...

Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 556 of 651

Just tried the web uploaders...server side errors all over the place from both .web and the Java facility..back to my SD Card.

Regardless of what is not ticked/ticked in the Desktop it will start when Windows starts, you have to stop it in the Windows startup by disabling with CCleaner etc.mine definitely started and it was not ticked in settings.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
milfy32
Contributor
Message 557 of 651

@graystreet wrote:

Yesterday I uploaded, using Amazon Desktop app, my NAS photo collection ( consisting of 28Gb of files ( 20,000 ) files in 480 folders to Amazon drive in a little under 4 hours. Maxing out my 17Mbps upload speed constantly. The folder structure was kept intact.

I just tried the same thing using the latest BT Desktop app and gave up after 20 minutes as it was saying "preparing backup" and, as far as I could tell looking at Network activity, not doing very much.

I tried again using 600Mb of files ( 1400 files ) in 78 folders an it took a little under 40 minutes with the upload speed running at a little under 500 kbps some of the time peaking at 2 Mbps on occasion.  I turned off Smart Folders in the app, as they're anything but Smart, before starting the upload.

The folder structure, not very complicated it must be said, was retained as far as I could tell from looking under "All my files" in a browser window.

Amazon Drive seems to process 4 files at a time and processes them a lot faster than the BT app processes a single file.

Don't even get me started on the Android app which merged my wife's and my Contact lists without warning, luckily I have very few contacts so it didn't take too much cleaning up, but somebody more sociable then me would have had a major job on their hands.

Ironically when I logged into BT to look at my cloud it said I wasn't using much of my 500GB allowance and that I should look at setting up backups, hell will freeze over before that happens...

haha it said the same to me, I told it to literally kiss my **bleep** when I saw that.

Amazon drive for main, Google drive for backup (Business account so unlimited storage) and this POS for a backup of a backup of a backup. 

When I used a cloud transfer service I noted that Amazon shows my allocation as 101TB and Google as 10TB so both unlimited in my mind, well Amazon super unlimited.

I'll pay the £60 a year for Amazon (don't pay for the business one) - after all, I have always thought if something is for free, can't really complain about it. 

0 Ratings
dbedford
Contributor
Message 558 of 651

BT Cloud upgrade 29th Sept 2016..
Still does back-ups photos on Macs...
and is not a real back-up is a shadow of the source..

FIX IT BT PLEASE!
0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 559 of 651

BT Cloud sees .rtfd files, which are Mac rich text files with images, as folders. It creats a folder with the file name then fills it with all the bits of the file. Windows does the same apparently. A big problem if you have a lot of .rtfd files.

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 560 of 651

Ok, given it my best shot. Far too much trouble to organise, total waste of time on a Mac. Cleaned it out and back to Dropbox. 100G of wasted space. Smiley Sad

0 Ratings