cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doleawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 561 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Upgrade(?), what have you done?

For those wondering why I think whoever in BT decided it was a good idea for the techies to start ringing BTCloud users and asking for remote access, should be fired for being so stupid(along with **bleep** who authorised the upgrade) needs to read front page of today's Sunday Times money section. It outlines a very devious scam running at present where people are pretending to be from BT and look to gain remote access. A very senior policeman involved in fraud cases is quoted 'never let someone have remote access to your pc' yet BT think it's a good idea. I despair. I would link the article but it is paywalled.
0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 562 of 651

@doleawg wrote:
A very senior policeman involved in fraud cases is quoted 'never let someone have remote access to your pc' yet BT think it's a good idea. I despair. I would link the article but it is paywalled.

Thanks for that.

I was on the receiving end of a BT call. I declined the offer to take over my PC, so the bloke on the other end of the line talked me through the steps. (It turns out that you cannot use BT Cloud if you have two BT accounts that are connected together through the same email address.)

If it really was a scammer, they might have persisted in the attempt to get at my PC. But I would not use that as a way of checking their credentials. After all, there have been cases where official call centres have leaked customer details.

0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 563 of 651

Tried once more before cleaning up and deleting everything.

Loaded 10 Folders all containing jpegs only. Smart folders (Albums  turned on). Got 2 Smart Folders only.

Chances on getting a Smart folder via the dDesktop are low certainly less than 40% based on this and other tests.

If the Desktop cant create an album the only way to do it is manually.

Load time quite slow, average file size 2.5mb, average speed on upload I would say less than 1mb sec, I am on Infinity 2 so its not my line.

Checked Folders in My Files, all seemed to be there plus a lot of 1K folder entries for ones I thought I had deleted.

Did a link, sort of worked though why the recipent would want the technical info as well as the picture is beyond me. Yes you can sort of space back and forward on the link but it needs a good thump on Ipad screen to do it. By no means as good as the previous offering, the space back < is embedded in the file name and not easy to see. Suggest the techies look at say Shoebox if you want to see a good link layout and speed.

Why does the Desktop insists in overriding the startup for Windows even when I unticked it. 

Now cleaning up and getting my 500Gb down to 0% usage.

0 Ratings
milfy32
Contributor
Message 564 of 651

@michaelkenward wrote:

@doleawg wrote:
A very senior policeman involved in fraud cases is quoted 'never let someone have remote access to your pc' yet BT think it's a good idea. I despair. I would link the article but it is paywalled.

Thanks for that.

I was on the receiving end of a BT call. I declined the offer to take over my PC, so the bloke on the other end of the line talked me through the steps. (It turns out that you cannot use BT Cloud if you have two BT accounts that are connected together through the same email address.)

If it really was a scammer, they might have persisted in the attempt to get at my PC. But I would not use that as a way of checking their credentials. After all, there have been cases where official call centres have leaked customer details.

That's the problem I had, I had 3 account numbers linked. So the guy I spoke to removed 2 and then it's all working.

Was he called Joe by any chance? 🙂

0 Ratings
Hestia
Beginner
Message 565 of 651

So does anyone know how on earth you access your cloud folders from your PC now?  It's only showing the folders from my mobile and on my mobile I can see the folders from my PC...  It is clearly bonkers.

My other half accidentally ticked the box to have his contacts backed up and in the process the syncing has deleted all of mine and replaced them with his.  I can't believe the crass stupidity of some techie spotty oik in the background that somehow thinks that I want all of my devices and PC synronished without at least damned well asking.  Right now, unless I can find out how to access the folders from my PC, ten years worth of work contacts have disappeared.  So much for the issues now being fixed.

0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 566 of 651

Before you do anything I would untick Backup Contacts on the Cloud app on your phone, then remove your phone from the sync list in the desktop app. If you have an Iphone you might still have your contacts in the Icloud if another backup has not ove written them. If you cant I would suggest removing BT Cloud from your phone anyway before you start rebuilding your contacts as there is no guarantee it will remember its settings and obliterate your contacts again. You can look at  Myfiles in the BT cloud from the wen app that tells you where the files came from but I woul guess it will point to the overwritten contacts file anyway. I didnt let the Cloud anywhere near my contacts anyway on security grounds apart from anything else.

0 Ratings
marksou
Beginner
Message 567 of 651

I have had the same message now for days when trying to update the BT Cloud app on my Mac running Sierra:Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 18.35.02.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Dode
Expert
Message 568 of 651

Yip, had the same. If you uninstall BT Cloud and download and re-install it it should work. I used a program called CleanApp to get rid of all the bits in the corners but there are plenty others. However the updated BT Cloud is no better.

0 Ratings
milfy32
Contributor
Message 569 of 651

Use a program called Google Drive, Amazon or Dropbox to instantly get rid of all your woes!

Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 570 of 651

Not forgetting Google Photos where Albums become Albums...

0 Ratings