cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AR_Help
Contributor
Message 611 of 651

Re: BT Cloud will not remember settings and shows files as not backed up when they are

Can anyone tell me why BT Cloud insists on Opening itself whenever I start My PC - Thus freezing my PC completely for teo or three minutes every time I boot it up ?

I have removed it from the Startup Items in MS Config - but it just puts itself back in.

I have opened the Dashboard and UnTicked "Open at Login" but when I simply close the Dashboard and reopen it then "Open at Login" has reticked itself.

Is there no way to turn this off ?

Come on BT - Someone out there must be able to help - its got so bad that I am seriously considering switching ISPs in the new year.

Its a simple question - Why can't you remove BT Cloud from your Startup Items ?????

0 Ratings
doleawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 612 of 651

Re: BT Cloud will not remember settings and shows files as not backed up when they are

@AR_Help wrote:

Can anyone tell me why BT Cloud insists on Opening itself whenever I start My PC - Thus freezing my PC completely for teo or three minutes every time I boot it up ?

I have removed it from the Startup Items in MS Config - but it just puts itself back in.

I have opened the Dashboard and UnTicked "Open at Login" but when I simply close the Dashboard and reopen it then "Open at Login" has reticked itself.

Come on BT - Someone out there must be able to help - its got so bad that I am seriously considering switching ISPs in the new year.

Its a simple question - Why can't you remove BT Cloud from your Startup Items ?????

If you don't want it at start up why have it at all? Ive deleted it ages ago, couldn't trust so pointless for me as a back up. BT have redefined cloud as a back up service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 613 of 651

@AR_Help wrote:

Which version of Windows?

In Windows 10:

• Task Manager
  • Star-up
  • BT Cloud (disable)

That works here.

0 Ratings
doleawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 614 of 651

I have 2 x BT accounts. On the 2nd I have never activated BT cloud, got bored so a ctivated and went for a clean back up of 62gb files. While slow all 62BG backed up. Here is where my problem begins.

I put a test folder in the middle with 20 photos in it on my desktop. Within seconds mirrored viai back up to the cloud. Waited a few mins and then deleted from desktop. Still there in the cloud? In my mind that deleted desktop file should also delete in the cloud and move to the deleted folder file. The cloud should mirror the desktop.

Anyone else tried this and getting same results?

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 615 of 651

@doleawg wrote:

I have 2 x BT accounts. On the 2nd I have never activated BT cloud, got bored so a ctivated ..

That could be the problem. It was here. BT's new system is incapable of working on two accounts.

I'm afraid I can't recall all the recovery details now. Maybe they are here somewhere.

In essence you have to reclaim your account using a different username.

I'll see if I can find the information later.

0 Ratings
doleawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 616 of 651

@michaelkenward No thats not an issue, both avccounts 100% seperate and do not know each other exists. My question is over what people expect if they move or delete a desktop file? I owuld expect my cloud back up to mirror my desktop, with BT Cloud it is not?

0 Ratings
spbond
Contributor
Message 617 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Upgrade(?), what have you done?

That's it. I'm giving up with the BT Cloud until someone, somewhere sorts the mess out.

It's so slow it's unusable.

The desktop application is a disaster.

Someone in BT needs to accept that the complete solution isn't fit for purpose. What's the point of having 500GB of cloud storage when it takes weeks to populate (assuming the upload process actually works)?

0 Ratings
doleawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 618 of 651

@michaelkenward wrote:

@doleawg wrote:

I have 2 x BT accounts. On the 2nd I have never activated BT cloud, got bored so a ctivated ..

That could be the problem. It was here. BT's new system is incapable of working on two accounts.

I'm afraid I can't recall all the recovery details now. Maybe they are here somewhere.

In essence you have to reclaim your account using a different username.

I'll see if I can find the information later.

@michaelkenward Found the answer. Only the BT Cloud folder on your desktop is synchronised, anything else isn't. Numerous competitors allow for proper synchronisation and on folders of your choice. Makes it unusable for defintie now for me until they sort this or allow for full synchronisation.

0 Ratings
MdeB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 619 of 651

@JoeeeeeeR wrote:

The photos behaviour does sound irritating, I guess until BT improve the backup choices the trick would be to move all your photos into a folder that you haven't set to backup, and then when you choose the ones you'd like to keep you can move them into a folder that is set to backup?

but we shouldn't have to **bleep** about like that.

Whilst I have the same situation regarding photos (plus I also rename photos to add a description), I also have the situation where I many folders for short-duration projects (one per project).  These sit under a 'Projects' directory whilst actve, and then are moved to an 'inactive' sub-directory when no further work is planned (typically 100 projects per year).  I want the work backed up both whilst it is active and when it becomes inactive, and if I have to restore from backup, then I want it to reflect latest state (ie 'inactive' for older projects), not the state when the work was done.  The system does not support this, as when a folder is moved the cloud backup is unchanged.

The following things need fixing to make it useable as a backup:

1. The timestamp on a file in the backup should be the timestamp on the original file, NOT the time the file was backed up (and that timestamp should be applied on restore).

2. I have at last one folder where the 'backed-up' content does not match the source content (backup was interrupted by power cut).  The missing files seem to be available in Cloud by a 'search', but no idea how to find them otherwise, so useless as a back-up.

There needs to be a feature to make the back-up structure match the source structure; probably show differences so they can be made to match by altering cloud structure or restoring from Cloud.

3. When folders are moved, the back-up structure does not change, so it is useless as a backup.

There needs to be a feature to make the back-up structure match the source structure.

The original maybe should be retained and identified as "now deleted from source".

4. When a new file is created in a moved folder, only that file is shown in the correct current location.

There needs to be a feature to make the back-up structure match the source structure.

5. when files are deleted from the source they stay in the back-up folder.

Fair enough (for a backup), but

a) they should be identified (easily noticed, such as colour) as 'no longer in source location'.

b) we need easily to be able to identify such deletions and confirm them (moving them to deleted) or reject them, restoring file to the source.  feature needs to provide presentation of all files for individual selection or allow same action on all.

6. When a new version of a file is created the old one stays as a 'previous version', using space, not moved to 'deleted' folder from where it can easily be removed.

There needs to be a feature easily to allow the deletion of older versions; we shouldn't have to look at all of our thousands of files to see what unwanted previous versions might be present.

7. to be really useful as a back-up a feature is needed that shows the shows the state of the source at any specified date/time so that we can restore to that position.

And for the future:

8. When you change supplier next time, the upgrade program must be identified as being BT Cloud, not the company you source the software from (it is frightening the number of people who must have installed the software from Synchronoss without knowing who they are), or if you must use third-party name, then notify all customers so they (we) know.

9. the upgrade MUST transfer back-up settings (selected folders) from the previous system.  This update did not do that for me, and so I imagine that there are thousands (millions?) of ordinary users out there (I have software development background) that no longer have their files backed up because their settings were not transferred automatically when the upgrade was installed and no directions were given by BT.

0 Ratings
doleawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 620 of 651

@MdeB Agree 100% with your post, the back up should be a 100% accurate reflection of your currect 'master' folders, not out of date. I saldy foudn out recently the only live folder is the BT Cloud folder, if you select other folders then the system will not sync live. Its rubbish so have stopped using BT Cloud. They won't listen, they don't care and the way it backs up is about 10+ years out of date (hey its BT 10+ years out of date isn't bad for them?) so have taken my back up elsewhere.

0 Ratings