cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 621 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Upgrade(?), what have you done?

Being a New Year thought I would try it in the vain hope it worked properly.

Tried a folder with a mixture of files, Jpegs,PSD,Doc,XLS,TIFF .

It still does not like PSD files at all, they load but painfully slow.

Doc files OK but all less than 100k.

With JPEG,TIFF and PSD I doubt it loaded at more than 500k per sec on Infinity 2 line.

The desktop still blasts in a startup entry for SYSNCHRONOSS into my W7 startup file which I delete, this of course despite my unticking the load at startup box.

In all really no change, gave up after about 50 files of 400 due to very poor speeds.

Just in the process of deleting those files that made it up.

In summary nothing has changed, nearly a year since the wondrous BT & Sychronoss announcements and no real progress.

Thank heavens for Google photos and my SD cards.

0 Ratings
wictod
Aspiring Contributor
Message 622 of 651

Ok had enough of this BT Cloud...want to download all my files to my PC so I can sort all the duplicates out and store somewhere else..

Is there a way I can download the lot in one go as I can't see a way to select multiple files unless I click each individual file.. it appears not only does this application screw about but my files are trapped up there unless i set aside a week or two to select each file?

Cheers

0 Ratings
Kodak
Contributor
Message 623 of 651

I am going to need the assistance of a MOD or somebody that can help because I have just become beyond angry.

I just now looked at possibly using the 100GB of BT Cloud storage that I have to store some files for easy access.  I downloaded and installed the app to my device, opened it and logged in using my BTID.

I UNTICKED ALL BACKUP OPTIONS as I was not going to be using it for backup - I was going to use it manually for files I would want access to.

Despite the fact that I UNTICKED ALL BACKUP OPTIONS and I have double checked and confirmed that I UNTICKED ALL BACKUP OPTIONS, the app still ripped all of my contacts off of my device and copied them onto BTs servers WITHOUT CONSTENT!!!

I have looked and tried to REMOVE the UNAUTHORISED COPY of MY DATA from BTS SERVERS but there is no **bleep** option to do it.

I looked at doing it from the device that it was STOLEN from, but I can't remove it from BTs servers.  I have tried logging in via my laptop and removing it, but there is no option to.

You have STOLEN contact information from my device without consent despite me stating that you were not to "backup" contact information.  And now you are proudly displaying this STOLEN contact information, complete with profile pictures and all associated information, on your servers without giving me an option to REMOVE IT!

I will make it clear once more, YOU WERE NOT GIVEN PERMISSION TO COPY MY CONTACT DATA!

I had better get assistance from somebody real **bleep** fast to get this stolen data removed from your servers.

EDIT - FIXED

I highly suggest BT "move the money" they get from customers into improving their technology instead of taking part in the dodgy actions I've been hearing of in the news.

Your software is as broken as the (maximum 0.5mbps) internet speeds you sell to me.

I have been able to remove the contact data you took without permission, and it looks like it took it due to bad software.

To remove the contact data I had to tick the box and ENABLE backup for CONTACTS within the app.  I then had to press the ">" button next to "contacts" to get to a list of contact sources.  I unticked everything I could except for ONE that you would not allow me to untick.

Next I had to return to the previous settings page and then select "home" in order to be able to select the three dots in the upper right corner - this allows you to select "Sync All Now".

Return back to settings and UNTICK (disable) contacts.  Return back to "home" and click the three dots in the upper right corner in order to "Sync All Now" again.

Refreshing the webpage on my browser has confirmed that this has removed the unauthorised copy of my contact data.

I hope this helps anybody else who has ended up with their contact data "backed up" without permission.

P.S.

I'm still waiting for you to upgrade the internet speeds you charge me ~£30 per month for.  Third world countries currently get faster internet than me and NASA have been able to beam 10mbps to the MOON for a while now.

Yet I still only get HALF A MEGABIT (0.5mbps) when all the other households are asleep.

Been waiting over 5 years now.

0 Ratings
doleawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 624 of 651

@Kodak Apprecaite your frustration but no point ranting at mods here, they hve long ago disappeared and abandoned us to figure the useless piece of software they invented out ourselves. You will have to call them.

0 Ratings
Kodak
Contributor
Message 625 of 651

@doleawgJust had to do exactly that and figured out a way to get it removed from their servers.  So glad I didn't have to call and deal with the language barrier.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 626 of 651

@doleawg wrote:

abandoned us to figure the useless piece of software they invented

To be fair to the mods, although I can't see why we should, they didn't invent this useless software. It wasn't even BT.

When BT tore itself away from wasting the money we give them on paying over the odds for sports coverage for a few nanoseconds it turned to the the USA and found Synchronoss, the "world's leading provider of carrier cloud solutions", to replace the one that everyone had grown familiar with and worked out how to use.

Sadly, it took just a few more nanoseconds after the switchover for the punters, that's us, to work out that this wonderful new cloud stuff is useless. Perhaps Americans are more forgiving when people serve them up rubbish. There then followed a month or so of denial on BT's part before it tweaked the system slightly to make it a bit less annoying.

Unfortunately, that tweaking solved none of the real problems, so, as this discussion shows, many customers gave up on BT Cloud and looked for alternatives.

MdeB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 627 of 651

@michaelkenward wrote:

When BT tore itself away from wasting the money we give them on paying over the odds for sports coverage for a few nanoseconds it turned to the the USA and found Synchronoss, the "world's leading provider of carrier cloud solutions", to replace the one that everyone had grown familiar with and worked out how to use.

I believe that Synchronoss took over the old provider.
They then probably told BT "we're not supporting/licencing that any more.  You'll have to move to our offering". 
For BT that would be the cheaper option because Synchronoss would develop the migration software rather than BT contractin an alternate supplier to do it.
This happens all the time in software products: Company A takes over company B to get market share, then drops compny B's products but offers a "free" migration to company A's product.
0 Ratings
mr_imz
Beginner
Message 628 of 651

Re: BT Cloud: Sharing problems on mobiles/smartphones

Hi all,

Really hope someone out there has a solution to the issues I'm experiencing - so I'm posting this on here as it seems to be getting more heat.

I've come across a few frustrating bugs/restrictions on BT Cloud when sharing files and folders with other users, namely when the person you are sharing with is viewing and downloading the files on a mobile device/smartphone. Things I've noticed when sharing a folder full of photos/videos:

- The user is given access to a list of only the first 75 files in the shared folder, and scrolling down to 'load more' does not work. Thus, making it pointless sharing a folder with 500+ images for example. I figured this might be a glitch so I tried it on two different smartphones, and after several attempts, only on one occasion by chance did it load a further 75 files.

- The user cannot see thumbnail previews of the 75 files in the list, meaning each file must be previewed individually one-by-one in order to see the content of each photo/video (this is also the case on a desktop PC – no thumbnail is available). Which makes you wonder, if all 500+ images were to load correctly, would the user need to preview every single one individually just to get a glimpse of each image?

- When an individual file is subsequently previewed and the user chooses to save to the camera roll on their phone, the image is saved in the poor preview-quality and not the actual high resolution image quality that is stored on BT Cloud.

- To download a file in its actual resolution and with all its properties, the user is told to tick the box next to the desired image in the list and then select the 'download' button, but nothing happens. No image is downloaded or saved to the camera roll on the phone. Furthermore, due to the lack of thumbnails as mentioned above, there is no way of knowing exactly which image you've put a tick box next to. This can be especially frustrating when the files in the folder are named 'image 001, image 002' and so on.

- Given that downloading individual files doesn’t seem to work, I thought to try downloading multiple files at the same time as a workaround. To download multiple photos/videos at once, the user is told to tick multiple boxes next to the desired files and select 'download all' which should download them all as a zip file, but again nothing seems to happens (on iOS devices zip files are practically useless anyway).

- I then tried adding photos into a new Album and sharing the Album, rather than sharing a Folder containing photos - I was told this might do the trick. Unfortunately I ran into the same problems as those mentioned above, and needless to say it was a major pain in the backside. After having already synced hundreds of filed into a folder to then have to add all of those files again into a new album, it was simply not practical.

I'm confident I'm not the only person experiencing this, so I hope someone has figured out a solution, or an update to fix the above is being worked on by the brains at BT. The whole point many use cloud storage is so they can share photos/videos with family and friends, as well as having access to their own personal files on multiple devices.

Please do not tell me that the download function for shared files/folders only works on a desktop PC because that is severely limiting the practicality of BT Cloud. Almost everyone now has a smartphone and wishes to export/download images directly onto their mobile phone/tablet in high resolution or, at the very least, the actual resolution that the image/video is stored on BT Cloud.

The above bullet points appear to be such obvious and basic requirements for shared folders that every other popular cloud storage company offers these features, which is tempting me to move over to a competitor. I would very much appreciate some help/feedback on these issues and I hope many, if not all, of the points I've raised can be genuinely looked into and fixed by way of a simple update.

Regards

Imran

0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 629 of 651

From research available on the web I think the sequence of events went like this :-

Original BT Cloud used F-Secure software and did exactly what we mere mortals wanted.

In July 2014 Synchronoss filed a case for patent infringement against F-Secure

End of 2014 case dropped.

February 2015 Synchronoss bought F-Secure cloud services .

Around March 2016 BT announce wondrous offerings on their new platform with Synchronoss ceasing to use the F-Secure base.

Since July 2016 the BT Cloud customer base has experienced the benefits bestowed and many like me now use 0% of their free 500 Gb allocation.

General consensus certainly on this topic is that the current product is unfixable/unusable or UK users are far too discerning in their requirements in wanting what they had before.

0 Ratings
doleawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 630 of 651

@Cicero wrote:

From research available on the web I think the sequence of events went like this :-

Original BT Cloud used F-Secure software and did exactly what we mere mortals wanted.

In July 2014 Synchronoss filed a case for patent infringement against F-Secure

End of 2014 case dropped.

February 2015 Synchronoss bought F-Secure cloud services .

Around March 2016 BT announce wondrous offerings on their new platform with Synchronoss ceasing to use the F-Secure base.

Since July 2016 the BT Cloud customer base has experienced the benefits bestowed and many like me now use 0% of their free 500 Gb allocation.

General consensus certainly on this topic is that the current product is unfixable/unusable or UK users are far too discerning in their requirements in wanting what they had before.

In summary, its a pile of **bleep** and unusable but its free so BT don't give a **bleep**?

0 Ratings