cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 631 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Upgrade(?), what have you done?

@doleawg wrote:

In summary, its a pile of **bleep** and unusable but its free so BT don't give a **bleep**?

Free, as in "We have hidden it in the cost of overpriced broadband for the time being, but, just like free BT Sports TV, we'll pile on the costs when you have forgotten the ads for the free bit."

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 632 of 651

Based on figures issued by David McDonald of BT in 2014 our "free" 500gb is worth £9 per month. BT Cloud is free in the sense that it does not appear as a line item on our bills but in reality of course it will be embedded in our charges. I am more than willing to forego BT Cloud access for a reduction of £108 per annum on my bill. With just over 4 years remaining of the "Synchronoss Platform" I could save £432 . 

0 Ratings
doleawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 633 of 651

Apologies yes, I know I am paying for it even though it appears 'free'. Sadly after months on here you realsie that BT couldn't give a **bleep** about the issue and are not going to do anything. Maybe to busy trying to sort some Italians out now, so they care even less.

Yes, if they offered to reduce my broadband cost £108 per annum and stripped out the cloud then I would jump at the but no chance of that happening. 

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 634 of 651

@doleawg wrote:

Maybe to busy trying to sort some Italians out now, so they care even less.

And blowing money on sports rights.

0 Ratings
quhone
Beginner
Message 635 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Update

Opera works well with the BTCloud provided you identify it as Chrome. This is not surprising as Opera uses the engine as Chrome. So it is not so much as not supported but simply denied, because it isn't named Chrome, Firefox or IE.

BT should correct this and allow all browsers to have access. Then, the user can identify any problems. Probably none

0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 636 of 651

As an ex IT person like many on this site I never cease to be intrigued with the vagaries of the obviously inferior product we have been presented with.

i did some more testing to see if there is any logical reason why it will not create Smart Folders or Albums as we know them.

Made sure Smart Folders were ticked in the Desktop.

I did various tests with multiple and single folder uploads.

firstly my telecoms hardware is dual band USB connection on my PC and I am on HH5, Infinity running at 34 megs down 11 or so up.

I tested my my network on both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz., 2.4 Ghz runs at 72mbs and 5 runs between 195 & 260mbs.

leaving it on 5ghz I tried several single folders and got a Smart Folder every time via the desktop uploader.

one folder was 800mb and still got a Smart folder.

loaded multiple folders at 5 ghz no smart folders.

Closed desktop, switched to 2.4 ghz, started Desktop upload on a single folder, no Smart Folder created.

tried twice more same result.

Logged via Internet to check my Albums, service froze so could not see my files or albums, tried several times same result but could log out.

Not not sure if there is a conclusion or not, in my case it will not create Smart Folders if my network connection is at 2.4ghz between PC and Hub .

however the downside of all this is that in its wisdom the "Cloud" reverses the order of pictures in the Smart Folder, first is last etc. 

Try as I might on the IPad app to sort into order by file name(picture no) to no avail. Today on the IPad app the option to sort by number/name does not even appear as an option where it has gone who knows.

also some of the folders Ioaded had video, these videos do not show in the Smart Folders, or on a separate section in the file list, you can see them in the general mess of photos and can only list hem by using the filter option.

Now busy clearing up the mess and deleting the various test files.

0 Ratings
Droopa
Beginner
Message 637 of 651

I grumbled back in January about this fiasco of a facility that calls itself BT Cloud. I was then in correspindence by private board with a member of BT staff, but nothing was resolved. The January version of BT Cloud for my desktop never worked. I was told this was going to be sorted and it never was.

When I got in today, there was a messasge on my answerphone that there was a new release. I downloaded it. It is v 16.3.6.4. It still does not work.  It won't run. Just like the previous one.

I tried to send a message via the private board to the person I corresponded with before, but the Forum rejected it with the words "There is no user with the login name".  So I've no alternative but to post my grumble YET AGAIN on this public board.

As I said before I am very, very annoyed about this.  This Box would and should be a really useful facility - if it did but work. If Dropbox, Google, Microsoft and plenty of other organisations can provide boxes and make them work straightforwardly, I don't see any reason whatever why BT can't or won't. It reflects very badly on BT that it can't, can't be bothered or isn't making its software suppliers' lives a misery until they sort it out.

I'm not interested in any explanations or excuses. I just want the thing to work - to do what it is supposed to do, seamlessly and without hassle.

Droopa 

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 638 of 651

That's strange, I've just gone to "Download BT Cloud" and it's still saying version 5.2.10.2. Did you get a URL for the download or did you go through MY BT like I just did?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 639 of 651

Droopa you are not alone in your disappointment in the lack of interest shown by BT in this fiasco.  In this day and age with the advances in IT one would expect a product to behave predictably,  sadly this is not the case.

Coincidentally you mention Dropbox who from research I have done are also being sued by Synchronoss for patent infringement so whether Dropbox will get the same enhancements BT Cloud has who knows, mercifully I don't use Dropbox.

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 640 of 651

@Cicero wrote:
Coincidentally you mention Dropbox who from research I have done are also being sued by Synchronoss for patent infringement ...

Ah, the patent trolls are out.

But Dropbox has deep pockets, and wealthy backers. 

Dropbox Has Raised $350M In New Funding At A $10B Valuation | TechCrunch

Then again Dropbox may be burning through that cash as it competes with the seriously big operators. With Microsoft betting the shop on the cloud, it could be a fierce war.

Interestingly, BT's latest meltdown was in the Italian bit of its international networking operation, Global Services. One of the sales pitches of that bit was to do cloud stuff. As the Financial Times put it:

It was supplying what the industry calls “managed services” — for example, broadband, desktop phones, cyber security protection and access to cloud storage — to a host of multinational companies that were looking to sign one big deal to cover all their international offices.

With luck it wasn't trying to build a business on technology from Synchronoss. We all know where that can lead you.

0 Ratings