cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonmanley
Contributor
991 Views
Message 291 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Upgrade(?), what have you done?

So, just leave us dinosaurs with the one that worked!
0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
977 Views
Message 292 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Upgrade(?), what have you done?


@jonmanley wrote:
So, just leave us dinosaurs with the one that worked!

The problem with that idea seems to be that BT has moved our data to a completely different system. So software that worked on the early cloud will fall over when you throw it at the new one.

 

It makes no commercial sense to run and support two cloud systems side by side just because some people – last count I can find says 10%, so not that small – want to use an unsupported operating system that hasn't been fixed for a couple of years now that might spread nasties around to other people.

 

There are some cases where it might make sense to use XP in closed systems, but not if you ever connect it to the outside world.

 

 

 

 

0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
930 Views
Message 293 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Upgrade(?), what have you done?

As part of my planned withdrawal from BT Cloud I have used the web link given by a mod in a previous post to delete data. I emptied the Trash File and checked using the "updated" product and the same files still show in the deleted list. I can only assume the old interface is doing a logical delete not a phsyical or the new product is wrong.

 

also I would advise anyone considering changing the old IPad take a look at the AppStore where comments about the updated version are less than complimentary.

 

My old IPad app shows that real total of Gb and has recognised the deletions I just did.

0 Ratings
whoheckhe
Beginner
891 Views
Message 294 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Update - installed but keeps prompting to update

dbcox: I had exactly the same problem on my desktop and laptop Win10 PCs. I have found that the new BTCloud.exe will continue to offer itself for installation again until the old BT Cloud.exe is uninstalled.. The situation, caused by BT, is somewhat complex but is the result of a migration process from the 'old' to the 'new' BT Cloud user interface methodology which requires changing horses in mid-stream which we all know is NOT a good approach. I have found that the new BTCloud.exe will continue to offer itself for installation again until the old BT Cloud.exe is uninstalled. In a nutshell:- The 'old' horse comprises your familiar 'BT Cloud Sync' folder as 'C:\Users\username\BT Cloud Sync', and the program 'C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\F-Secure\BT Cloud\Application\2.5.4672\BT Cloud.exe'. BT Cloud Sync is automatically backed up and synchronised across any other devices by BT Cloud.exe; this program and its services is what provides you with the old familiar 'BT Cloud' application window, allowing direct access to all your Files, Collections, Devices, BT Cloud Sync, etc. via the web, without using a browser, when you click on the old BTCloud shortcut icon. The 'new' horse consists of the new folder 'C:\Users\username\BT Cloud' which includes the sub-folder '\Web' which is a clone of the 'BT Cloud Sync' folder referenced above, created at the time of migration, and the new program 'C:\Program Files\BT Cloud\BT Cloud\BTCloud.exe' which a) starts the BT Cloud 'Dashboard' window showing the current status of Sync, Transfers, Backup etc; and b) creates a hidden icon on the task bar which allows you to i) 'Open BT Cloud' which simply opens an Explorer window for your PC 'BT Cloud' folder, ii) show the Dashboard again, and iii) initiate a BT Cloud Website session in your default web browser. VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:- The old 'BT Cloud Sync' folder is maintained only by the F-Secure 'BT Cloud.exe' program. The new ' BT Cloud\Web' folder is maintained only by the (Synchronoss Software) 'BTCloud.exe' program. So, once you switch to the 'new' BTCloud and delete the old F-Secure 'BT Cloud.exe' program, any changes you make to your 'BT Cloud Sync' folder contents WILL NOT BE AUTOMATICALLY SYNCHRONISED. The same is true vice-versa. I have tested this. As long as you don't uninstall the old F-Secure version it will still work if you execute it from the folder specified above. In my opinion this situation should have been clearly documented by BT and falls far short of acceptable customer service.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
873 Views
Message 295 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Update - installed but keeps prompting to update


@whoheckhe wrote:
dbcox: I had exactly the same problem on my desktop and laptop Win10 PCs. I have found that the new BTCloud.exe will continue to offer itself for installation again until the old BT Cloud.exe is uninstalled.. The situation, caused by BT, is somewhat complex but is the result of a migration process from the 'old' to the 'new' BT Cloud user interface methodology which requires changing horses in mid-stream which we all know is NOT a good approach. I have found that the new BTCloud.exe will continue to offer itself for installation again until the old BT Cloud.exe is uninstalled. In a nutshell:- The 'old' horse comprises your familiar 'BT Cloud Sync' folder as 'C:\Users\username\BT Cloud Sync', and the program 'C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\F-Secure\BT Cloud\Application\2.5.4672\BT Cloud.exe'. BT Cloud Sync is automatically backed up and synchronised across any other devices by BT Cloud.exe; this program and its services is what provides you with the old familiar 'BT Cloud' application window, allowing direct access to all your Files, Collections, Devices, BT Cloud Sync, etc. via the web, without using a browser, when you click on the old BTCloud shortcut icon. The 'new' horse consists of the new folder 'C:\Users\username\BT Cloud' which includes the sub-folder '\Web' which is a clone of the 'BT Cloud Sync' folder referenced above, created at the time of migration, and the new program 'C:\Program Files\BT Cloud\BT Cloud\BTCloud.exe' which a) starts the BT Cloud 'Dashboard' window showing the current status of Sync, Transfers, Backup etc; and b) creates a hidden icon on the task bar which allows you to i) 'Open BT Cloud' which simply opens an Explorer window for your PC 'BT Cloud' folder, ii) show the Dashboard again, and iii) initiate a BT Cloud Website session in your default web browser. VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:- The old 'BT Cloud Sync' folder is maintained only by the F-Secure 'BT Cloud.exe' program. The new ' BT Cloud\Web' folder is maintained only by the (Synchronoss Software) 'BTCloud.exe' program. So, once you switch to the 'new' BTCloud and delete the old F-Secure 'BT Cloud.exe' program, any changes you make to your 'BT Cloud Sync' folder contents WILL NOT BE AUTOMATICALLY SYNCHRONISED. The same is true vice-versa. I have tested this. As long as you don't uninstall the old F-Secure version it will still work if you execute it from the folder specified above. In my opinion this situation should have been clearly documented by BT and falls far short of acceptable customer service.

Strange,

I only asked the op to check........just in case there was a conflict..........

When I looked in my own Windows 10 file explorer, there was no trace of the old BTcloud exe file, even after an in depth search of the c: folder.

There was a migration data  file there, though, from old to new.

Looks like a Windows OS problem. 

0 Ratings
MdeB
Aspiring Contributor
864 Views
Message 296 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Update - installed but keeps prompting to update

whoheckhe :  Did BT advise of this change of supplier?

 

I just got the request to run the Synchronoss software, but did not run it becase I didn't recognise the name.

I keep getting the request because I havn't run it.

 

I can find no emails from BT saying they are changing supplier, and nothing about Synchronoss in their help.

0 Ratings
Pan
Aspiring Contributor
876 Views
Message 297 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Upgrade(?), what have you done?

BT may call it an 'upgrade' but it seems that BT customers, me included, think it's complete and utter 'pants' and is more like a 'downgrade'.

As a BT customer, I received BT's excited email about my '3 Upgrades' they were giving me. Big deal? Not really.

 

1. An upgrade from 50 to 500MB Clod Storage - which everyone agrees is rubbish.

2. Free 'Virus Protection'. I dumped BT anti-virus last year as I found that Windows 10's 'Defender' doesn't slow down my PC like BT's anti-virus did. And finally...

3. That "As an existing BT sport customer, you’re in for a treat. Now you can enjoy even more live action with more games than ever from the Premier League." ... only problem with that is I never wanted or watch 'BT Sport' much less adding more bl**dy football of any description - on TV, PC, phone or any other devioce, thank you!

 

So all in all, BT have done what a well-known American 'cola' company did a few years ago - change the formula that everyone liked and was happy with to one that no-one liked or wanted any more. Nice going BT!

0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
845 Views
Message 298 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Upgrade(?), what have you done?


@Pan wrote:

BT may call it an 'upgrade' but it seems that BT customers, me included, think it's complete and utter 'pants' and is more like a 'downgrade'.


Ah, but we are in a minority.

 

We are now into 30 pages of this discussion, and nearly two weeks of grief, with new victims arriving all the time. And yet one of BT's moderators has claimed, more than once, that:

 


A small number of customers have told us that they are experiencing problems with the updated version of BT Cloud and we are sorry about this.

 

BT seems to have a funny idea of what constitutes "a small number". A "small percentage" of all users might be accurate but a small number? I think not.

 

I mention this because if they really do have that attitude back at BT towers, we may be in for a long wait for them to fix things. Why go out of your way to help a small number of people?

 


@Pan wrote:
... only problem with that is I never wanted or watch 'BT Sport' much less adding more bl**dy football of any description - on TV, PC, phone or any other devioce, thank you!

 

Not just me then. If BT put the cost of screening one football match into fixing the BT Cloud's problems, they would go away overnight.

0 Ratings
whoheckhe
Beginner
837 Views
Message 299 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Update - installed but keeps prompting to update

BT neither advised the change of supplier nor the impact of the change in methodology and the likely impact on existing users. The biggest sin was to take the position that this is simply an upgrade to an existing system. It is not even a new version of an existing system but a complete replacement. I am totally dumbfounded by the ineptitude of the BT management team responsible for this. It is difficult to know where to start in listing the mistakes made in this implementation and rollout but it is clear they have no idea of the role of potential problem analysis in project planning. I would say they have been so driven by marketing objectives in occupying Cloud territory across all platforms and types of media that their reach has exceeded their grasp. (The poet said: 'a man's reach should exceed his grasp', but this is not so for a business!) This was far too complex a migration to attempt to automate for existiing users of any scale. Now BT have to 1) ensure that impacted users can revert to the F-secure way of doing things, then 2) provide full documentation of the Synchronoss way, and 3) give adequate user education on how to migrate when the user is ready. It is worth noting that BT have created the same situation with their Android mobile BTCloud App which seems to be no longer available and is replaced by a different App. Heads will roll.
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
834 Views
Message 300 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Update - installed but keeps prompting to update


@whoheckhe wrote:
Heads will roll.

I doubt it.

0 Ratings