cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 541 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Upgrade(?), what have you done?

After further meddling I have come to the conclusion that doing a bulk update from the web using the upload feature the folder structure as contained in My Pictures will not be duplicated. Similarly using the desktop product the folder structure will not be duplicated with a bulk upload, and in both cases you get a huge morass of pictures etc.

To that end I did a few tests. Set up a folder A as the high level folder, then copied in one folder, did an upload and got a Smart Folder, IE same folder name as under My Pictures. Stopped and signed out of the Desktop. Started the desktop signed in again copied across one more folder, uploaded and got a Smart Folder. Did the same process a few more times and got a Smart Folder each time. Looked atAlbums/folders from the IPad and web.

Conclusion .....buy an SD card of 64 or 128 Gb capacity, or another external hard drive copy to that and leave at a friends house, unless you have several days to spend copy folders individually. Or use an alternative Cloud offering.

0 Ratings
milfy32
Contributor
Message 542 of 651

@Cicero wrote:

After further meddling I have come to the conclusion that doing a bulk update from the web using the upload feature the folder structure as contained in My Pictures will not be duplicated. Similarly using the desktop product the folder structure will not be duplicated with a bulk upload, and in both cases you get a huge morass of pictures etc.

To that end I did a few tests. Set up a folder A as the high level folder, then copied in one folder, did an upload and got a Smart Folder, IE same folder name as under My Pictures. Stopped and signed out of the Desktop. Started the desktop signed in again copied across one more folder, uploaded and got a Smart Folder. Did the same process a few more times and got a Smart Folder each time. Looked atAlbums/folders from the IPad and web.

Conclusion .....buy an SD card of 64 or 128 Gb capacity, or another external hard drive copy to that and leave at a friends house, unless you have several days to spend copy folders individually. Or use an alternative Cloud offering.

Use alternative, Check! x2

5TB External HDD, Check!

It's good for pics and vids upload auto from my phone. When I take a pic or a video It goes to Amazon and BT at the same time.

0 Ratings
PJ_Maybe
Aspiring Expert
Message 543 of 651

Dear all

Not been following this thread too closely but got email today from BT as follows:

"We’ve noticed you haven’t been using your free BT Cloud storage."

Does this mean it is fixed?

I have had issue that the new system will not back up one (large)  folder the old system backed up quite happily (see very early posts on this thread).

I have kind of abandoned BT cloud until it is fixed and have not changed any settings so I have assumed that the other (smaller) folders still backing up.

This email would suggest not?

I know l am being lazy - but can I be cheeky and request a brief sumary of what the current state of play is? - (ducks behind chair in anticpiation of inundation).

0 Ratings
doleawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 544 of 651

@PJ_Maybe Think its still FUBAR, given up....

0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 545 of 651

It depends what you want from a Cloud Service. Apart from the name and the ability to move data from one entity to another the new BT Cloud is devoid of all the facilities we had in managing and retrieving data previously. For example in the new offering you cannot sort your photos by name, the most logical indicator of the sequence they were taken in and the order you would most likely wish to review them.

The link to let other people view your pictures is atrocious as it expects the recipients to download and then view, the proper cloud let them view without the need to download.

can only agree with Doleawg it is as he said FUBAR.

Perhaps if BT have sent out 000's of those emails you had they might realise the product is inferior.

0 Ratings
Dode
Expert
Message 546 of 651

I got one of these e-mails on the 14th of September. I can only use BT Cloud via the web browser, can't even use the Java bulk uploader. It's no wonder I haven't been using the free BT Cloud.

0 Ratings
twok
Aspiring Contributor
Message 547 of 651

my Dropbox sub. is coming up for annual renewal so I thought I'd take a look at BT Cloud for the first time.  I've been a BT customer for years but never used the free cloud service.  OMG what an absolute pile of $%#&* this is.  I have 1000's files in virtually every format imaginable.  I used the desktop client to take an entire backup of my dropbox folder since the web uploader couldn't cope with files above 500mb 😞  After the upload completed it was impossible to reconcile what had been backed up - folder structures disappeared completely, and I was left with a colage of picture tiles sorted into music, photos and documents!  Using the web search by year showed I had 100's of missing files if the search totals were to be believed.  I value my data too much to use this pile of $%#&*.  Needless to say I deleted the lot and went swiftly to renew my Dropbix sub.  The adage 'you get what you pay for' sprang to mind.  Shame on you BT you should be able to provide much better than this.

0 Ratings
Cicero
Aspiring Expert
Message 548 of 651

Twok you might like this from March this year.

“Our BT Cloud service makes it as easy as possible for customers to keep their digital memories safe and unlocks their digital lives through simple and fast access to their personal content”, said David McDonald, Director of Broadband, BT. “We are pleased that our agreement with Synchronoss will enable us to further evolve BT Cloud, bringing more new and exciting features to our customers.”

0 Ratings
Message 549 of 651

Hi All

We’re releasing some updates from today to BT Cloud which are expected to improve performance and make your files easier to find. We’ve listened to your comments and over the coming weeks (starting today) the following improvements will be deployed. To also keep you informed of what else is coming, we’ve included some information about our longer term plans.

BT Cloud on Web (Access Anywhere via a browser)

• We’re changing the layout of the ‘All My Files’ section, so that when looking at a backup of a PC or Mac the entire folder structure will be visible (previously frequently used folders appeared at the top of the list). We’ve changed this to make it easier for users with very large backups to find the content they’re looking for and this is being rolled out today. You don’t need to do anything to take advantage of this update.

BT Cloud on Windows PCs

• The load time and client responsiveness to be greatly improved for users with very large accounts. There are also a couple of small bug fixes.
  • We’re rolling this update out today. If you already have BT Cloud installed, then you’ll receive an automatic notification asking you to update.

BT Cloud on Mac OS X

• We’ve updated BT Cloud on Mac OS X to fully support the Sierra operating system, which Apple have recently released. There are also a couple of small bug fixes.
  • We’re rolling this update out today. If you already have BT Cloud installed, then you’ll receive an automatic notification asking you to update.

BT Cloud on iOS, Android and Windows Phone

• We have two updates planned over the rest of 2016:

o    The first update will be for iOS and Android apps, and will be released in the next few weeks (we’ll confirm the exact date here in due course). This update will address a few bugs we’ve identified since launch. Most users won’t notice any difference in how the Apps work following on from this update.

o    The second update will be for iOS, Android and Windows Phone. This update will introduce several new features / improve some existing ones. We expect this app to be published before Christmas (but this is dependent on our ongoing testing). We’re currently agreeing the full feature list for this App update, and will share it with you here in due course.

What’s next for BT Cloud?

There are lots of additional features we plan on launching in 2017. Our focus is to make sure the core backup experience from PCs and Mac’s is as good as it can be, while providing new and innovative features to make BT Cloud as good as possible at backing up your entire phone and sharing your content with others

We’ll make several updates throughout 2017, which will introduce some ground-breaking new features while continuing to refine existing ones.

Cheers John

0 Ratings
doleawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 550 of 651

@JohnC2 wrote:

Hi All

We’re releasing some updates from today to BT Cloud which are expected to improve performance and make your files easier to find. We’ve listened to your comments and over the coming weeks (starting today) the following improvements will be deployed. To also keep you informed of what else is coming, we’ve included some information about our longer term plans.

BT Cloud on Web (Access Anywhere via a browser)

• We’re changing the layout of the ‘All My Files’ section, so that when looking at a backup of a PC or Mac the entire folder structure will be visible (previously frequently used folders appeared at the top of the list). We’ve changed this to make it easier for users with very large backups to find the content they’re looking for and this is being rolled out today. You don’t need to do anything to take advantage of this update.

BT Cloud on Windows PCs

• The load time and client responsiveness to be greatly improved for users with very large accounts. There are also a couple of small bug fixes.

BT Cloud on Mac OS X

• We’ve updated BT Cloud on Mac OS X to fully support the Sierra operating system, which Apple have recently released. There are also a couple of small bug fixes.

BT Cloud on iOS, Android and Windows Phone

• We have two updates planned over the rest of 2016:

o    The first update will be for iOS and Android apps, and will be released in the next few weeks (we’ll confirm the exact date here in due course). This update will address a few bugs we’ve identified since launch. Most users won’t notice any difference in how the Apps work following on from this update.

o    The second update will be for iOS, Android and Windows Phone. This update will introduce several new features / improve some existing ones. We expect this app to be published before Christmas (but this is dependent on our ongoing testing). We’re currently agreeing the full feature list for this App update, and will share it with you here in due course.

What’s next for BT Cloud?

There are lots of additional features we plan on launching in 2017. Our focus is to make sure the core backup experience from PCs and Mac’s is as good as it can be, while providing new and innovative features to make BT Cloud as good as possible at backing up your entire phone and sharing your content with others

We’ll make several updates throughout 2017, which will introduce some ground-breaking new features while continuing to refine existing ones.

Cheers John

Thanks for posting, not your fault, but I weep when read the word 'weeks'.......

0 Ratings