cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nately
Aspiring Contributor
Message 71 of 651

Re: BT Cloud Upgrade(?), what have you done?

I still can't see the link.  I've tried a "find on this page" and I've also tried opeing the page in Chrome but I still can't find anything.

0 Ratings
jonmanley
Contributor
Message 72 of 651

Click on NeiilO's name and on his profile page - 0n the left below "AbouT" - "click on this link to contact mods" or something like that.

0 Ratings
Uppy
Contributor
Message 73 of 651

Thanks - I have sent over more information via the 'contact the mods' link - reference: ***EDITED***

Look forward to receiving the results of the investigation

0 Ratings
nately
Aspiring Contributor
Message 74 of 651

Thanks. The link is visible now andI have provided the information requested.

0 Ratings
doleawg
Aspiring Expert
Message 75 of 651

@NeilO I've an idea for the software guys. Why don't they downgrade to the old software that worked and then actually test the new upgrade to make sure it works before they release it? #justanidea 

randrewes
Beginner
Message 76 of 651

Hi - I, like Deborah Mabbett, have downloaded and apparently successfully installed the updated BT Cloud programme for desktop (Windows 7). However, when I try to run the programme, I get the message below. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting, etc etc.

Capture.PNG

Is there a solution?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Venner
Contributor
Message 77 of 651

Still "updating your data to improve performance. This may take a short while...."

That's over two hours now. I guess it's screwed
0 Ratings
cnelms
Aspiring Contributor
Message 78 of 651

As BT do not appear to know how to roll out an upgrade, can I offer a few suggestions that the most junior IT professional would know?

1          Test the software and make sure it works before you release it.

2          Tell users to expect an upgrade and what it will look like, don’t just spring it on them.

3          When you do release it, publish a user guide as well. Clicking on ‘Help’ just leads to various questions but what users need is to be taken through the new application, especially when it changes so radically. What is particularly frustrating is that instructions to the previous version are still online.

4          Give users access to a list of known bugs so that they know they are being worked on and they don’t need to keep on reporting them, with an indication of their status.

5          Have a contingency plan for reverting to the previous version quickly if the upgrade fails.

6          In one sentence: Don’t just tinker with the system, follow a recognised systems development methodology!

My own specific problems:

1          The upgrade does not install shortcuts to either the PC application or the web interface. I’ve had to slowly figure these out for myself. Not helpful.

2          Previously I could see all the folders I had asked BT Cloud to synch to the cloud. I had carefully used up over 90GB of my 100GB storage. Yesterday it displayed error messages in relation to all the largest folders, saying they were too large to synch to the cloud, so that now on the new 'Backup' screen only the four smallest folders totalling about 3GB are listed. Looking via the web, my larger folders are still there, but I doubt they are still being updated, because they do not appear on the ‘Backup’ screen. Is there some way to add them back to the 'Backup' screen? I have tried adding them, but again get the error message saying that they are too big, presumably because the smallest of them is greater than my remaining 10GB of free space. I suspect I could delete the c80GB of files in the cloud concerned, clear the space, and add them again, but having spent around three weeks backing them up in the first place just a couple of months ago, I am reluctant to go through that all over again. Please tell me I don’t have to.

The moral of the story for users: don’t rely on backups in the cloud. Get yourself a couple of big external hard disk drives, say 1TB. Backup daily to one of them. Store the other one offsite (like in your office), and switch on and offsite drives daily. Backing up to the cloud should be just an added safeguard, not your only one.

Message 79 of 651

Hi @doleawg@jonmanley, and @renzz Thanks for sending in the details. We’ve forwarded them on and will update you as soon as we have anything.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 80 of 651

Thanks also

@22pilgrim

@nately

@Uppy 

@Venner

Cheers

David

0 Ratings