cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dazm
Message 1 of 10

BT Cloud - Use storage without "sync" or backup

Hi There

Appologies if this has been asked before but I can't find the answer.

I have set up BT cloud on my mac but it doesn't behave like I want it to. This appears to be down the the software limitations but I thought I'd check to be sure.

What I'd like to use the cloud for is additional storage with the benefit of access on any computer/mobile device. However the only way I can see to do this is to put anything I want available in the BT Cloud sync folder. The problem I have is all the files I want in the cloud are stored on external hard drives, so in order to have them in the cloud I have to copy them to the BT sync folder, but I don't want the files taking up space on my mac as I've got them on the external hard drive to save space!

I tried various workarounds:

1. Putting an alias/shortcut to the folder on the external disk in the cloud sync folder - Doesn't work, only syncs up the alias not the destination files.

2. Tried adding the folder to autobackup - Doesn't work and for some reason the software doesn't 'like' folders on external drives.

3. Adding the files/folders to the sync folder, having them sync, then take the mac 'offline' from BT cloud and deleting the files from the cloud sync folder - I knew this wouldn't work but thought i'd try it anyway. The files 'stay put' but only as long as the mac isn't connected. As soon as I reconnect the files are deleted or I have to put all the files back on the mac before reconnecting.

All I want to do is put some files on the cloud and have them stay there unchanged, and irrespective of what I do to the original files on my mac/iphone etc, without having to have an 'offline' copy of them in the BT Cloud sync folder.

I have have a feeling the answer is you can't but if someone could clarify this for my it would be very welcome.

Thanks

Dan

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Parsnip1970
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Cloud - Use storage without "sync" or backup

This is my exact same problem - did you ever find a solution?

At the moment, I have 50Gb of storage that I can't use as it insists on storing the same files on my computer!  I already have them stored on my NAS - I don't want them on my computer and in the BT Cloud.

Very frustrated.

0 Ratings
Tarnbrick
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

I have posted this same problem today, 16Jan 2015. Hoping somebody has an answer by now. I thought that the cloud system was invented for the kind of storage we refer to, but apparently it is not.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Have you considered just using the web interface as I described here ?

Last time I looked there didn't seem to be any way of turning off the more complex auto-backup/sync features in the installed client program (maybe I didn't look hard enough?). I uninstalled it long ago as when I tried it out it was hogging my PC resources doing things I didn't want it to do.

0 Ratings
Tarnbrick
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for your reply Umpire. Yes I did do what you suggested. However the problem started all over again after I reinstalled BT cloud. Logging back in takes you back to the original useless situation. I have tried using the web interface when there is no BT cloud app on my PC but that doesn't do the job either. I have tried without success to find a way to store my stuff on several cloud programmes but it always ends up being on the hard drive as well. It seems to have been invented for people who need to be forever syncing and sharing stuff and it being available wherever you are. The use of it as a simple storage dumping ground has not been catered for as far as I can see.
I notice that this topic has been brought up on this forum quite a few times and there has been no offer of a solution from the moderators or any BT person.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 10

@Tarnbrick wrote:
Thanks for your reply Umpire. Yes I did do what you suggested. However the problem started all over again after I reinstalled BT cloud. Logging back in takes you back to the original useless situation. I have tried using the web interface when there is no BT cloud app on my PC but that doesn't do the job either. I have tried without success to find a way to store my stuff on several cloud programmes but it always ends up being on the hard drive as well. It seems to have been invented for people who need to be forever syncing and sharing stuff and it being available wherever you are. The use of it as a simple storage dumping ground has not been catered for as far as I can see.
I notice that this topic has been brought up on this forum quite a few times and there has been no offer of a solution from the moderators or anyBT person.

Just to clarify.

When you uninstall the BT Cloud program permanently, after following Umpire's steps, do the folders BT Cloud and BT Cloud Sync reappear on your PC if you use the Web App only?

Assuming that those folders (Cloud and Sync) do "go away", another more important point is that you cannot upload folders from the BT Cloud Web application.

This is why it it suggested that you bundle the files up in self extracting Winzip folders. It's all a bit messy, but it works.

Incidentally BT Cloud seems to treat a Winzip folder as a single file, thus maintaining that folder structure. Also there's little or no compression if you are zipping pictures.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

@Tarnbrick wrote:
Yes I did do what you suggested. However the problem started all over again after I reinstalled BT cloud.

Is there a good reason why you reinstalled BT Cloud Sync again? That could cause problems.

If just using the web interface then the original files don't have to remain on the hard drive of your PC. You should be able to either load a copy up from an external drive, or load from the PC hard-drive and then delete the source. If you have BT Cloud Sync uninstalled then it shouldn't try and sync any changes to the cloud storage as far as I'm aware.

I've backed up large zipped files this way in the past. Other cloud storage providers usually also provide a web interface that you can use in this fashion. Some also provide a client program that allows just simple drag and drop without any auto-backup or syncing. BT Digital Vault (the pre-cursor to BT Cloud Sync) used to also allow this if I remember rightly, so for some users the new service trying to be too clever seems to be a bit of a backward step.

So if you have say 50GB on an external drive that you want to upload to create an additional backup I would try splitting it into say 10 folders with subfolders/files. For each high level folder zip it to create a zipped file, load the zipped file up to the BT Cloud using the web interface, and then delete the source zipped file. The copies of the zipped files should remain on the BT Cloud storage area. At some point in the future you can use the web interface to download any zipped file and unzip it if necessary. I've used this approach in the past. Try experimenting with some small files first until you are sure it is working as you want.

Note: Please make sure you have the original data stored somewhere safe before deleting anything. I wouldn't rely solely on the BT Cloud storage as BT can't guarantee files will never be lost from there. Always keep a local backup copy (on external drive, DVD, etc) as well if possible.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 8 of 10

An interesting post from Neil O today, 18/01/2015, in reply to Tarnbrick, on uploading files and presumably folders on how to upload to BT Cloud without keeping those files on your pc.

0 Ratings
m1kem00re
Message 9 of 10

Hello. I have a similar problem. When using BT CLOUD on my Android phone, I get nagging messages to give permission for BT CLOUD to back up all of my phone. I only want to store files of my choice in BT CLOUD. Is there any way of stopping these annoying messages?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 10

How do I prevent syncing with my laptop? This is in order stop filling up the drive.

0 Ratings