cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 141 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud Won't Start

I have exactly the same problem.  How do you fix it?

0 Ratings
Message 142 of 1,226

My experience was that a simple uninstall - re-install does not work. I had to use a "deep clean" uninstaller to remove all the rubbish that the BT unistall leaves .  I used the Ashampoo uninstaller v10 and was amazed by the number of items that the BT uninstall routine left behind.  After that, a reinstall did require an immediate PC restart for the cloud app to work.  But it does now work despite the much poorer interface.

0 Ratings
Message 143 of 1,226

So it seems that something is functioning in the background

I think we would all be helped if there were some instructions as to how to make use of the new interface. Please.

I'm not as able as some of the contributors here, so nothing too technical, please.

I guess the purple shortcut on my desktop is redundant:

"C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\BTCloud\BT Cloud.exe"

Clicking on it does nothing 

0 Ratings
Message 144 of 1,226

Windows 10 v2004

This is unacceptable. The pop-up message said that BT Cloud needed to update, and gave no choice. Then it said it had to uninstall the old version but keep all of my files and settings.

I had to go away an leave it to sort itself out, as the "one time" upgrade process might take some time.

When I came back to it 4 hours later, the icon in the notification section of the taskbar showed sync complete.  But the Task Manager shows that BTCloud (32 bit) - still only 32 bit! - is still using more than 10% CPU (an i7) and Power Usage "Very High".

Another hour later the icon has a syncing twin arrow on it.  The pop up when I click on the icon shows "Account FULL!".  But I've got 96GB free. Nothing recently updated. 

2020-12-02.pngClicking on the "Launch Web" icon - what a strange name for it - takes me to the BTCloud Web site, where it says it is having trouble loading everything. Exactly the same issues as @Robert942 

Having taken screenshots, those have now been uploaded.  2020-12-02 (3).png

Another 10 minutes later, and the cloud symbol in the notifications section has a tick again. but the Windows Task Manager still shows BTCloud using over 10% CPU, and it seems to be continually accessing the internal hard disk I store all my files on.  What is it doing?

I do hope it gets fixed soon, because having a seamless backup system is important and now it is putting a lot of people at risk. (Thank goodness I have two other backups) 

This reminds me of a 2018 upgrade that broke the BTCloud app. I had to reinstall an older version that luckily I had downloaded to my PC.  That option isn't available now, as a few months after that they moved to background updating.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To err is human, but to really mess it up requires a computer
0 Ratings
Message 145 of 1,226

I am using BT Cloud on a Windows 10 laptop and I'm having exactly the same experiences that the previous 143 users have documented.
However, as users, we all appear to be just talking to ourselves, which gives us a form of reassurance that this is a problem not of our making, but as a retired Quality Assurance/Control Manager who worked with various Military and Civil Nuclear Computer Systems for 46 years, I appreciate that this must not be a simple task to understand and rectify.
However, BT is demonstrating a complete lack of Good Quality and Customer Care by first of all; not ensuring that BT Cloud 20.6. 1 was thoroughly checked and tested before release and secondly; failing to communicate to their affected customers that a problem exists and is being attended to.

It is possible that the things we are doing in the absence of knowledge, whilst trying to identify what is wrong at the user end, could be interfering with BT's attempts to rectify the problem(s).
Both the previous version of the BT Cloud and the current BT Cloud 20.6.1 are in need of a User Guide. If such documents were to exist, perhaps the IT Engineers would possibly find their task some what easier.
For example:
Users may have many Folders to put documents into, but drop down boxes are limited to approx.100, so the end users have to find work arounds.
Often, when uploading bulk files, they appear to be randomly distributed within the previously uploaded files, rather than top of the list.
There doesn't appear to be a way of searching for Folders by their names, etc.

I look forward to hearing from a BT Quality Representative to understand what IT Quality Assurance/Control arrangements they are complying with (or not).
Message 146 of 1,226

Hi

As per the other responses to this topic I also got the Upgrade forced upon, with no release notes or warnings about what was changing and no option to defer it - wholly unacceptable behaviour from the deployment team !

As background I am running Windows 10 on my PC and laptop, so far I have only been using my PC and hence run into the problems with the new installation of BT Cloud  but am worried that I may not even be able to start up my laptop if that is going to get upgraded and end up with similar problems, so I am severely restricted in my computing capability by this appalling implementation by BT.

Made worse by the fact that this creates all sorts of problems - in my previous configuration I had used the dashboard settings option to relocate my BT Cloud sync folder from my C drive to my second much larger Data disk to a folder X:\abram\BT Cloud, I had then used some registry tweaks to have BT Cloud appear as a library in file explorer to make access much easier. I have over 170GB of data stored on this folder and in the cloud Somehow after the new installation the sync folder appears to be X;\Abram and I now understand why it has been running like a dog since the installation as it is now downloading all 175GB from the cloud to the sync directory, as the sync folder does not have any of the cloud files directly under X:\Abram but they are under X:\Abram\BT Cloud, so now I have a duplicate of my cloud data in two places on this disk, occupying approx 350GB.

I also am unable to launch the dashboard so cannot use the usual procedure to correct the location of the sync folder and using the right mouse click on the BT Cloud icon in the systray  and then on the settings gear wheel brings a poor substitute for the dashboard with one heading being the sync option, under this I can see the current location of the synch folder (X:\Abram) but am completely unable to modify it, I have tried stopping the BT Cloud Sync service, I have tried changing which cloud contents to share but nothing allows me to change the location of the sync folder.

I have now had to delete all the erroneously synced to the wrong directory and had to disable any part of the BT Cloud service from starting as I don't want the service to detect the files have been deleted from the PC and to start deleting them from the cloud. So I have no cloud service and no way to make it workable and I would really expect BT Product Management to make a statement in this forum indicating they understand the impact of the problem and giving some idea when this behaviour is going to be corrected.

And yes I am posting this at 03:30 in the morning having spent the last 5 hours tracking down  why my PC was behaving so poorly and then trying to remedy this failing BT Cloud implementation.

Regards

John

0 Ratings
Message 147 of 1,226

Having contacted the help desk and being told there is a known problem i have tried on and off repeatedly to reinstall the software with no apparent success. Now having browsed the comments on this thread I have discovered that the update has installed and appears to be working perfectly.  I have the icon on the expandable menu on the bottom right hand corner of the screen and brought it down to the menu/quick launch bar and it all now looks as before. Problem is that BT in their wisdom didn't think to tell me about it. A general email would have done the trick. I suspect however that even BT doesn't know its working now. is that possible. 🤣🤣

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
Message 148 of 1,226

To Futterwithtrees - I fear it is only working for some people. I am still waiting on "One time metadata initialization. This may take a while". Meanwhile there is nothing that one can do. Preferences is inaccessible. Like some other users, I have my BT Cloud folder in a non-standard location on some PCs, on a separate disk drive. Without access to preferences I have no idea where BT Cloud is looking for its data, which folders are being backed up or whether it is trying to duplicate my data elsewhere. Each of my PCs have different backup folders and different locations for the BT Cloud shared data. Because I have uninstalled and reinstalled following the failed backup I have no idea what parameters have been saved and what has gone back to defaults. I really do think it would save a lot of anguish if BT were to respond to this forum with an explanation of what is happening. Why are they not able to re-release the original software but change the forced update date to somewhere long in the future whilst they sort out the current situation.

0 Ratings
Message 149 of 1,226

@cfpagewrote:

To Futterwithtrees - I fear it is only working for some people. I am still waiting on "One time metadata initialization. This may take a while". Meanwhile there is nothing that one can do. Preferences is inaccessible. Like some other users, I have my BT Cloud folder in a non-standard location on some PCs, on a separate disk drive. Without access to preferences I have no idea where BT Cloud is looking for its data, which folders are being backed up or whether it is trying to duplicate my data elsewhere. Each of my PCs have different backup folders and different locations for the BT Cloud shared data. Because I have uninstalled and reinstalled following the failed backup I have no idea what parameters have been saved and what has gone back to defaults. I really do think it would save a lot of anguish if BT were to respond to this forum with an explanation of what is happening. Why are they not able to re-release the original software but change the forced update date to somewhere long in the future whilst they sort out the current situation.

The metadata message eventually clears, what happens or error you get when you click the settings cog icon on the top right of the white popup? This should open the Preferences screen in a new window.

0 Ratings
Message 150 of 1,226

Exactly right! 15 pages of people with the same issue is zero help. BT need to man this forum or it is of very limited value for issues like this. 

0 Ratings