cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 271 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud Won't Start

I'm guessing it’s all linked, but my issues with the updated Cloud Software seem different from others I have so far read on this forum.

Until the software update earlier this week, I was backing up c. 500gb of files to the Cloud – mapped from various file locations on the PC.

Once the new software was installed, I was presented with an Initial Setup prompt that took me to the Backup tab on the Preferences window. “Documents” “Pictures” and “Desktop” were the only locations presented and none were ticked for backup. There was an option to “+ Folder”, but nothing was ticked.

It appears, then, the new software has lost my back up preferences – the folders that had been previously marked for back up.

I do not want to set up again from scratch, what happens to all the files I have already backed up? Will they be duplicated?

Additionally, there is no “Restore” option to allow me to retrieve backed up data.

To compound that – when I log on to the Cloud via a web browser, I can see the backed up drives and the storage size, but I am unable to open the folders (they are just grey) in order to view their contents.

Please can you put my mind to rest, that the fixes referred to in this forum will resolve these back up issues.

Sadly, I was given a run around when phoning the helpdesk – first line didn’t have the information and passed me around a bit and when they tried to put me through to second line technical support…….. hanging, hanging, hanging – I never got through.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Message 272 of 1,226

@firestrikewrote:

I'm guessing it’s all linked, but my issues with the updated Cloud Software seem different from others I have so far read on this forum.

Until the software update earlier this week, I was backing up c. 500gb of files to the Cloud – mapped from various file locations on the PC.

Once the new software was installed, I was presented with an Initial Setup prompt that took me to the Backup tab on the Preferences window. “Documents” “Pictures” and “Desktop” were the only locations presented and none were ticked for backup. There was an option to “+ Folder”, but nothing was ticked.

It appears, then, the new software has lost my back up preferences – the folders that had been previously marked for back up.

I do not want to set up again from scratch, what happens to all the files I have already backed up? Will they be duplicated?

Additionally, there is no “Restore” option to allow me to retrieve backed up data.

To compound that – when I log on to the Cloud via a web browser, I can see the backed up drives and the storage size, but I am unable to open the folders (they are just grey) in order to view their contents.

Please can you put my mind to rest, that the fixes referred to in this forum will resolve these back up issues.

Sadly, I was given a run around when phoning the helpdesk – first line didn’t have the information and passed me around a bit and when they tried to put me through to second line technical support…….. hanging, hanging, hanging – I never got through.

Thank you.

Correct.

My experience is that they are not duplicated. 

That should correct, given time.

Message 273 of 1,226

Thank you for sharing your experience in reply - guess I'll just have to get re-mapping.
Unbelievably poor end user experience, though!
Really don't expect something as abysmal as this from a company as big as BT. Shame. Shatters trust and destroys loyalty. Just cant believe they simply implemented something so impactful with absolutely no warning or guidance. Shocking.
Any thoughts on the restore function?
0 Ratings
Message 274 of 1,226

@GeoffSmith I agree with your three answers from my own experience, if that is added reassurance for @firestrike ?
I took screenshots of the folders lists from Cloud in the web browser to make a checklist of all the files I had to reselect for backup, just to make sure I didn't miss any - I have 300GB so it would be easy to miss one as they are scattered around my PC's file tree. Not what I expected to have to do for an "upgrade" that promised to keep all my settings in place!
0 Ratings
Message 275 of 1,226

@RKR - thanks for the added support.
Hopefully I'll be able to access the folders list via the browser access to the Cloud in the near future - at the mo' it's just showing me the drive letters - no drill drown capability.
But, when I can, I will reset the app to the previous backup folder settings. Good to know it wont duplicate. Cheers.
Message 276 of 1,226

@firestrike& @GeoffSmith What worries me a little is their statement on page 26 of this thread: "We will be releasing an updated version next week which should address the desktop shortcut not opening , anti-virus blocking installations and other performance fixes. We will do further releases for other fixes as we find them."... if each new release also messes up my settings of which folders I want to keep updated it could get repetitive... I REALLY hope they don't make that mistake!

It would also be REALLY useful if for each folder selected for backup in the new little dashboard-substitute there was the option to deselect certain sub-folders that you DON'T want backed up - the only way I found for doing that was to move a 13GB sub-folder on my PC to a different less logical location, as it was the only exception to the rule for a main folder in which I will want all other and subsequently added sub-folders to be backed up, and so need the main folder to be ticked as I don't want to have to remember to add every new subfolder individually. It would have been SO handy if I could have just switched off backup for that one very large sub folder "ABC" and left it in the right place on my PC rather than having to label it "ABC which should be in XYZ" somewhere else which is ridiculous(!) @DanielS @NeilO Any comments on this idea, or my worries about losing my whole list of which folders I want backed up again at the next update? Once was definitely enough for going through the hassle to have to find and reinstate them in the dashboard-substitute...!

0 Ratings
Message 277 of 1,226

I can't even access BT Cloud via the web site now! It comes up with the message that my ID is not valid on this computer. Basically anything I try just comes up with an error message.

Like others, the desktop tray is stalled mid sync & paused. I exited this because I was fed up of the error message popping up every few minutes. I'm trying to work with a particular file already downloaded but BT Cloud had already partly duplicated some of it before it stalled & I am unsure now which is the original file.

What a shambles. I haven't much confidence in next weeks upgrade but hope to goodness it does work.

0 Ratings
Message 278 of 1,226

@RKR  & @GeoffSmith - Agree. If the next release also requires uninstall and then install, will be back to resetting mapped folders. I am, though, still unable to view the file structures through the web browser so whilst I can probably work out what all the folders are - like you @RKR - I have mapped individual folders from drives to avoid backing up stuff that I am not bothered about.

Just takes effort that I really don't want to do more than once...… and then, shouldn't even have to be doing anyway!! As many others have said - absolute shambles from BT.

@M-M I did have the same issue getting on to the browser Cloud but it did let me on eventually. Whilst I can view photos and documents on the landing page (that are from some of my backed up files) - I can't drill into the Drive letters under the Repository on the "All My Files" tab - really hoping that get fixed soon so I can check my mapped file paths.

I also have no ability to download/restore the backed up files in the repository - kinda defeating the objective of backing up!

0 Ratings
Message 279 of 1,226

I had a very useful call last night with a BT person who is working on all this - as a follow-up to something I'd posted on this forum. He confirmed a new drop was expected next week (i.e. w/c 9th December) which would at least start to address many of the issues raised here, including the lack of feedback when e.g. loading the new app. as to the load success. He also confirmed that no data had been lost from the Cloud, even where customers currently were having difficulty accessing it. He implied the hurried nature of the drop was because the system was about to fail (not clear why) without the new methods. He also said that better briefing and training was in the pipeline for advisors, so at least they'd be talking about the new system and not the old one!

This change seems to have been forced on BT - either by technology or some commercial issues - which is why the first drop wasn't really fit for purpose (my interpretation, but it would make sense). If they hadn't done something Cloud access at all might have been lost, is (again) my interpretation. 

Clearly we are where we don't want to be on this, but it may also be true that BT is as well. Granted it's hugely annoying, but it's clear that BT people are reading these posts and taking note of where and what the problems are - but without a new software drop there's nothing useful they can do on the forum other than saying they are trying to sort things. Which they have done. 

My advice, from a position of complete ignorance, is to let things alone (as regards trying to sort out your data and saving policies) for the moment until the new drop is made next week and see whether (a) that sorts your issues or (b) makes it easier for you to do that.

But I am at least convinced that BT is aware of the issues and is working to sort them - and indeed is listening, via this forum, to us as customers. Even if it doesn't always show!

0 Ratings
Message 280 of 1,226

That's very good and sensible news - thank you.

So, addressed to the BT monitor, can we expect a posting giving this explanation together with advice on when and what we can expect please?

0 Ratings