cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 371 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud Won't Start

Hello,
What is the situation with fixing the update ? The above note is dated 4th December, and today it is 9th December. Has the problem been fixed yet ? I tried downloading the update and re-installing today and it STILL does not work. Have you heard of Rollback at BT ?
Message 372 of 1,226

This smells to me like a falling out with the incumbent outsourced software supplier, with a deadline for loss of service.  After all this is not an update to BT Cloud but a complete rewrite.  There has obviously been no liaison with the current software team as basic functionality is not in place (updating change files), old bugs reintroduced (locking files on upload) and only the minimum provided in terms of user interface.

We’ll never know the truth as BT won’t be open with users but I think we will be stuck with a substandard product that has been rushed out, which they’ll now try and bodge to a point where the level of complaints is acceptable.

I can’t imagine this is how BT normally go about software production.

Message 373 of 1,226

The original BT deal with Synchronoss started in March 2016 maybe it was for 5 years which expires in March next year, who knows. Time will tell, in the meantime I won’t be rushing to use BT Cloud.
0 Ratings
Message 374 of 1,226

@Robert46wrote:

This smells to me like a falling out with the incumbent outsourced software supplier, with a deadline for loss of service.  After all this is not an update to BT Cloud but a complete rewrite.  There has obviously been no liaison with the current software team as basic functionality is not in place (updating change files), old bugs reintroduced (locking files on upload) and only the minimum provided in terms of user interface.

We’ll never know the truth as BT won’t be open with users but I think we will be stuck with a substandard product that has been rushed out, which they’ll now try and bodge to a point where the level of complaints is acceptable.

Or someone deciding it would be cheaper to bring it in house. It certainly isn't what they've claimed - changes to keep up with Windows.

0 Ratings
Message 375 of 1,226

Yes, the BT official explanation does not seem to be the whole story, and leads us to more questions than answers.

However, on the better news side, for those of us where the so-called update has installed and started working (like for me), once it got over recreating a duplicate BT sync folder downloaded from the Cloud, it has settled down and is backing up files reasonably efficiently.

There are still missing functions that we used to have, and all bits of the so-called update still don't work.

What we could all do with is BT being open with us and treating us a grown-ups, because the official line does not seem credible.

0 Ratings
Message 376 of 1,226

@Ray11 , as far as I know my dead PC wasn't caused by the BT Cloud update - in fact I don't think I'd even done the update when the PC died.   I think it's just a rather ugly coincidence.....

0 Ratings
Message 377 of 1,226

@Robert46wrote:

Sadly can I refer you to the 100s of pages on the 'upgrade' to BT Web Mail (from BT Yahoo Mail). There's history here.

0 Ratings
Message 378 of 1,226

Totally agree 😭 

0 Ratings
Message 379 of 1,226

I'm starting to have a little bit of sympathy for the coders. What is clearly a re-write, not an update, let alone an "upgrade", looks like what we used to call a "fire brigade job."  Typically caused by some "manager" with minimal computer  knowledge wanting major changes or, as is likely in this case, trying to save money by bringing a package in house.

That said, it's unforgiveable that, at very least, the old settings were not carried forward to the new version, and that at very least a clear warning as to the need to point to the existing sync directory was not given. 

0 Ratings
Message 380 of 1,226

Thanks Kencridland,
Did you have to delete your old sync folder to let that happen ?
0 Ratings