cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 391 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud Won't Start

In response to your question DusNumbri. Like many others, I did not realise the mess that the software change was creating. For those of us who managed to get it properly installed, there were two really bad errors in the way it affected us -

1) It 'forgot' the folders in the computer that it was meant to back up. That meant we had to set them up again manually. As I had lost trust in BT by this stage, I started these folders up one by one, and made sure each one had stopped backing up and got it right, before starting up the next one

2) It created a BT Sync folder called BT Cloud (1) alongside the existing one called  BT Cloud. Once underway, it then started furiously downloading files from the Cloud in line with its enabled settings in Preferences to "Make all BT Cloud content available on this computer". In my case it was less that 100Mb, but if you had one which was in loads of Gb, you PC would be flat out for ages.

So no, I had not deleted the old Sync folder. I expect that I could now, but have not tried that yet.

Hope this is useful.

0 Ratings
Message 392 of 1,226

Like everyone else BT Cloud updated, but lost all my settings.

Set them up again and BT Cloud started uploading.

Upload has been running continuously for several days, nothing has actually been uploaded for 6 days!

Not sure I can trust BT Cloud to protect my data at the moment.

0 Ratings
Message 393 of 1,226

Please add in the 30% CPU time and very high power usage. This is not the case for all my PCs (a couple have reasonable figures) but the majority are still running extremely hard yet doing very little. I would also like to see an explanation of why the upgrade was necessary e.g. was there a change of OS version server-side which necessitated the "upgrade" and could we be given a timeline for fixing the many issues encountered.

0 Ratings
Message 394 of 1,226

@kencridlandwrote:

In response to your question DusNumbri. Like many others, I did not realise the mess that the software change was creating. For those of us who managed to get it properly installed, there were two really bad errors in the way it affected us -

1) It 'forgot' the folders in the computer that it was meant to back up. That meant we had to set them up again manually. As I had lost trust in BT by this stage, I started these folders up one by one, and made sure each one had stopped backing up and got it right, before starting up the next one

2) It created a BT Sync folder called BT Cloud (1) alongside the existing one called  BT Cloud. Once underway, it then started furiously downloading files from the Cloud in line with its enabled settings in Preferences to "Make all BT Cloud content available on this computer". In my case it was less that 100Mb, but if you had one which was in loads of Gb, you PC would be flat out for ages.

So no, I had not deleted the old Sync folder. I expect that I could now, but have not tried that yet.

Hope this is useful.

I don't know how I managed it, but I got an opportunity to rename the folders  (with the desktop app) - so renamed back to BT Cloud - and so far that all seems fine. What happened was that BT Cloud (1) simply disappeared, leaving the original folders untouched. So there were no attempts to load back more data onto my machine. I think I was lucky, but if anyone knows how to do it intentionally (it appeared in a flurry of stuff when the new app loaded, I honestly can't now remember, and won't risk trying to duplicate). Hopefully when the new desktop app is ready and promulgated it will just look for a BT Cloud folder, and do nothing if it finds one - and not just load a new one and rename Cloud (1). My guess is the original new software was assuming a new install of BT Cloud, not a replacement for an existing install.

0 Ratings
Message 395 of 1,226

I'll second that, the heavy use caused byPower Broker must be addressed and corrected.

0 Ratings
Message 396 of 1,226

englishbullterrier: go ahead and raise a formal complaint or escalate.  I'm sure that the response will be that BTCloud is an unsupported optional feature that is not covered by the Internet Connection Service you contracted for.

This is neither the first, nor likely to be the last, problematic upgrade of a service feature and, as others have commented, is just par for the course of being a BT customer.😫

The Mods here are are already on the case, feeding back problem reports to the responsible team, who are working on fixing the various issues.  After 30 years at IBM I am sure that you appreciate that bringing in higher authorities won't solve the problem any quicker - probably the opposite as the team get diverted to writing regular progress updates to make those authorities feel their bonuses are justified.🤔

It is hardly a crucial problem, since your existing files in BTCloud are unaffected and can still be accessed through the web interface.  From experience, it takes an impractically lo..o..o..ng time to restore significant portions of your storage allocation anyway, so BTCloud should only be considered a "last resort" emergency backup for use in the event that your local primary parent and grandparent backups are lost.

So just remove BT Cloud from the Start-up for a while; chill out, relax and let them get on with fixing it.  You'll find out when its done with through feedback on this thread. 😉

0 Ratings
Message 397 of 1,226

I’ve learnt my lesson and have all my key files backed up to a hard disk AND I’ve FTP’d them to the free storage I get it’s my website.

Check out 

https://www.2brightsparks.com/download-syncbackfree.html

for a free application that manages backups.

0 Ratings
Message 398 of 1,226

Are we going to be compensated for all this time without a cloud service and time spent trying to get answers from your staff who where getting frustrated at not being able to find out what is happening.

0 Ratings
Message 399 of 1,226

I appreciate that this is a bit of a nightmare for you at BT, but an update as to what steps you have taken this week to fix the issue would help   the total silence is not helping.  I can't even get the app to run,  others can't login and others have such problems   a list of the"known issues" and what you have done might help 

I have installed, uninstall, rebooted etc so many times in the hope you have been doing something behind the scenes.  It would help to know that this is either with doing or leave alone for a few days etc

Message 400 of 1,226

Hi All

I did as somone said delete all BT Cloud Files even the hiddern files

I have now reinstalled BT cloud and it appears to be working no Hardrive issues no lockups.

It has done its sync and i have a working lapttop.

Will give a update tomorrow

0 Ratings