cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 611 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud update not working

In case this helps.  The new system is certainly not as user-friendly as it once was.  I have also been looking for reassurance that it was still backing up.  I use it on my PC.  If I click on the up arrow on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen it shows hidden icons one of which is now a cloud.  If I click on that it shows the recently updated files.  On that screen is a picture of the world and if I click on it I can then login to what is being stored in my cloud account and I have been able to check that my files are there.  It does seem to be working for me now.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 612 of 1,226

I've disabled the cloud app to stop it from nagging me to update whilst the problems are sorted.
What's the general consensus, is it now safe to install the update or should it still be avoided like the proverbial plague?

0 Ratings
Message 613 of 1,226

As BT has not yet supplied us with the revised desktop app I wouldn't bother until they do, early in the New Year. 

Message 614 of 1,226

Jules 68

BT told me they were doing away with the desktop app and were changing to a Bottom tray app as they felt this was the best way forward.

Cheers

Jamie

0 Ratings
Message 615 of 1,226

Whilst I hope never to need this app as my backup, it is important that it is better than me at remembering to back up changes and that it is easy to use. The green ticks on the old system gave me confidence and I would like to see them back.  The desktop app was also useful for giving confidence that things were working,  it’s a pity that BT are “doing away with it “ as I’m sure most of us would have preferred to keep it but I was unaware of how I could make my suggestion for or against such a change!

I hope the system is now working on my laptop and pc.

0 Ratings
Message 616 of 1,226

jamieandangela wrote: BT told me they were doing away with the desktop app and were changing to a Bottom tray app

Not sure what you mean by that.  Apps that appear in the System Tray, as BTCloud always has done, are just apps that are running in the background without a user interface window.  You can confirm this by opening the Task Manager and BTCloud will be listed as a background process when it is running.  Foreground apps are those listed above and these have a window which can be minimised, maximised or scaled.

BTCloud never has been a foreground app since it was introduced, and even the latest version has a desktop shortcut icon, if that's what you mean, in addition to appearing in the Start folder.  However, launching from either of those shortcut icons should still launch the app in the background, appearing in the System Tray.

The BTCloud sync folder can be viewed as a window, and still exists in the new version.

0 Ratings
Message 617 of 1,226

Is it just me? No files have actually been uploaded since the 15th December despite the program stating that files have been (after a reboot). I'd urge anyone who is relying on this as their main backup NOT to trust the messages that state files are being uploaded. It's best, at the moment, to check your files listed directly on the BT web server too see if they have in fact been uploaded. My files are NOT being uploaded still. Is it really working for some users?

0 Ratings
Message 618 of 1,226

vuum wrote: Is it just me? No files have actually been uploaded since the 15th December

No, it isn't just you.  It is a known fault that BT are aware of and trying to find a general fix for.  There seems to be a number of different fault issues that have been reported, and many of them related failure to backup data.  Information already backed up in the cloud appears to be safe for the moment.*  Latest information is that a fix will be rolled out in the New Year.

*I have noticed that any files which do get back up by the new version have reduced previous version copies.  Earlier versions of BTCloud kept an infinite number of file versions (until your allocation filled).  The latest version only keeps the last 4 versions of each file which, in my view, is a reduced level of protection and not particularly robust. 

I suggest that you disable BTCloud in the Task Manager Start-Up tab to prevent it running until the new version is rolled out.

0 Ratings
Message 619 of 1,226

I never had or have BT running all the time. I start it at the end of a day when I wish it to backup, this is to prevent file locking issues while I code.
0 Ratings
Message 620 of 1,226

Well don't start it until the new version appears! 😉
0 Ratings