cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 661 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud Won't Start

@popopoppinwrote:

I am downloading my backed up C drive as shown below and all subfolders inside this C folder downloaded are empty, there's 1000s of subfolders and there is no way I am downloading each subfolder separately it will take me years!  It's an absolute joke!

What you are doing is entirely logical, but is what I would call "takeout".

The intended method, which I have not yet tried, seems to be to click on the gear wheel in the pop-up app to open  the dashboard

Cloud.jpg

Click on the hidden gear wheel for the directory to be downloaded (graze the cursor to the right to reveal).

Select the Download option then deselect the Upload option.

Click on Storage Mapping, then choose which machine you want the directory downloaded to.

Finally Save the options.

Best try it out on a small test directory.

That there appears to be no option to download a sub-directory seems to me a major design flaw, as is the cumbersome method of setting up the backup directories. 

0 Ratings
Message 662 of 1,226

So we have been here in a stationary position with this for a month, with nothing heard back from BT.

I'm surprised and very disappointed by BT's lack of engagement with its customers; thus I have filed a formal complaint to BT covering not just the software issue but the lack of any comms from them. I invite others to do the same, so that they "get the message".

Because I am now nervous about the potential for data loss, my work around has been to subscribe to Acronis True Image 2021, which is on a very good New Year deal.

I have then been able to perform a backup from BT Cloud to Acronis Cloud just in case. 

All I can now do is wait with my fingers crossed, as my faith and thus reliance upon BT, has been seriously damaged.

0 Ratings
Message 663 of 1,226

@NigelB143wrote:

So we have been here in a stationary position with this for a month, with nothing heard back from BT.

I'm surprised and very disappointed by BT's lack of engagement with its customers; thus I have filed a formal complaint to BT covering not just the software issue but the lack of any comms from them. I invite others to do the same, so that they "get the message".

Because I am now nervous about the potential for data loss, my work around has been to subscribe to Acronis True Image 2021, which is on a very good New Year deal.

I have then been able to perform a backup from BT Cloud to Acronis Cloud just in case. 

All I can now do is wait with my fingers crossed, as my faith and thus reliance upon BT, has been seriously damaged.

BT almost immediately responded (once the forced software drop was evidently so dreadful) and posted what they planned to do on this thread - which included a new 'desk-top' app to be launched in this New Year - as well as revised server software which they have already implemented. They contacted posters by private message and then phone (I was one of these, which is why I know) to pick up on particular issues, and did resolve some of them. Yes, this was poor, yes, their initial desktop software drop was a disaster, yes they didn't provide feedback (to say the drop had been successfully loaded) during the installation process or initially explain what their changes were, yes it was pretty bad, but they have responded, they have communicated both generally and specifically, and they have promised remedies. Granted this is all way back in what's now a long thread, but accuse them of what they are guilty of, not what they're not. 

Message 664 of 1,226

Jules, thank you for correcting and updating me!

The trouble is that I have seen nothing of the content which you identify! 

So, apart from your insight, I am still in the dark. I called BT Support three weeks ago, but apart from sympathy, nothing else.

As we now have nearly 700 posts, please would you do us all a favour, and provide a refresh summary of the info/advice buried somewhere in the recent posts.

I would welcome your help in mentoring me, and telling me not to be frustrated or concerned.

As you appear to be a keen type, I would greatly appreciate any info on "progress" or workarounds which you may glean.

Thanks again!

0 Ratings
Message 665 of 1,226

After I downloaded the update, BT Cloud ceased to work. I click on the icon and nothing happens. All day long I continually get a message saying that an error has occurred, the application cannot continue and will be paused. I have tried deleting the program and reloading but it is exactly the same

0 Ratings
Message 666 of 1,226

@NigelB143wrote:

Jules, thank you for correcting and updating me!

The trouble is that I have seen nothing of the content which you identify! 

So, apart from your insight, I am still in the dark. I called BT Support three weeks ago, but apart from sympathy, nothing else.

As we now have nearly 700 posts, please would you do us all a favour, and provide a refresh summary of the info/advice buried somewhere in the recent posts.

I would welcome your help in mentoring me, and telling me not to be frustrated or concerned.

As you appear to be a keen type, I would greatly appreciate any info on "progress" or workarounds which you may glean.

Thanks again!

The first, and most comprehensive, BT update was message 253 on page 26 of this thread, with further updates in 341 (35) and 352(36) - plus a call for error logs to be sent. 

Like problems with e-mail the severity of the problem seems related to the complexity of your set-up (not surprisingly)  - and possibly to random other software which is clashing. That means that for a number (possibly a majority) of users the Cloud Service is (broadly) working as expected, even where it is clearly not for a number of users.

Many have found that accessing via a browser (in windows go into the up arrow on your task bar at the right), open the residual desktop app by clicking on the cloud icon and then click on the globe which sits at the top of the box that opens) makes life easier, as the controls are more readily available. Annoyingly the new load of the desktop app will probably have set up a different Cloud folder on your PC - which means it will want to load material into that, as well as the original Cloud folder, thus creating duplicates. (I managed to stop that, though I can't now recall how!).

My best advice would be to wait until the new desktop app is ready (should be this week, although that timing may be updated) and start afresh, rather than working with what is admitted to be flawed software.

0 Ratings
Message 667 of 1,226

Ive tried and tried to get this working - i have 900 gig of music and when i open the new sync app, it just says one time metadata for a few seconds, then the app closes, tried downloading from the web browser some files, but folders are not downloading the same as set on the cloud, im sooooooo frustrated , hope they get this sorted soon 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 668 of 1,226

One possible but unproven workaround comes to mind.

Going by the general feel of this thread, people with older machines appear to be able to run the latest update without problem, it only seems to be affecting newer machines (as I said, not proven).

The workaround then, for those with newer machines that have been affected and still have access to an older machine, could be to download your files onto the older machine and then copy them across.

Before anyone goes off at the deep end, I'm not saying the situation is acceptable - just trying to help.

0 Ratings
Message 669 of 1,226

@Teeaagguuewrote:

Ive tried and tried to get this working - i have 900 gig of music and when i open the new sync app, it just says one time metadata for a few seconds, then the app closes, tried downloading from the web browser some files, but folders are not downloading the same as set on the cloud, im sooooooo frustrated , hope they get this sorted soon 

I was told that the data stored in the BT Cloud is 'safe' (hasn't been lost). I hope that's generally true (seems to have been for me). If you can, I would wait until they drop the revised 'desk-top' (it isn't quite - it resides in the task bar) app; your life re the BT Cloud might improve. It should happen in the first week of this year.

Message 670 of 1,226

Yea, can acesss files through Web browser, just will sit and wait for the desktop resolution, thanks 

0 Ratings