cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 671 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud Won't Start

GeoffSmith wrote: The intended method, which I have not yet tried, seems to be to click on the gear wheel in the pop-up app to open  the dashboard...

You should not need to rely on the client app to restore a backup.  Doubly so when the client app is in the parlous state that it currently is!

I would need to move the mouse close to light speed to even reach the BTCloud client app before it crashes at the moment. 😫  Consequently I can't say whether your recommended approach works any differently from the web interface.

However, I can confirm that the web interface (which is for many of us the only currently available BTCloud interface) continues to have the bug that popopoppin described.  The server side application fails to drill into subfolders to find their contents, resulting in only one level of subfolders being downloaded - without any content.

Technically, a recursive folder search routine is required instead of the single pass used in the recent code rewrite. 

As popoppin notes, this is not a workable backup/restore solution.  

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 672 of 1,226

No argument there but if you look back through the posts there seems to be a common theme, i.e the problem seems to manifest itself more on new machines than it does old. 

0 Ratings
Message 673 of 1,226

V_Meldrew wrote: ... the problem seems to manifest itself more on new machines than it does old.

That doesn't seem to be exclusive though.  My PC was built almost 8 years ago (albeit fairly high spec at the time) and I can't get the new version of the BTCloud client to work.  I'd guess that most readers of this forum have much newer machines than this one.

Also, one would hope that the developers themselves are using relatively new machines, yet they released this debacle apparently having first shown that it worked on their machines. 🙄

So I am not convinced that this is an incompatibility with some new PC functionality.

0 Ratings
Message 674 of 1,226

@popopoppinwrote:

I am downloading my backed up C drive as shown below and all subfolders inside this C folder downloaded are empty, there's 1000s of subfolders and there is no way I am downloading each subfolder separately it will take me years!  It's an absolute joke!

What you are doing is entirely logical, but is what I would call "takeout".

The intended method, which I have not yet tried, seems to be to click on the gear wheel in the pop-up app to open  the dashboard

That would be fine IF THE APP WAS WORKING.   As I have no access to the app the only way to download my files is via the Web and all you get is empty sunflowers.  It's a joke

0 Ratings
Message 675 of 1,226

@RKMwrote:

GeoffSmith wrote: The intended method, which I have not yet tried, seems to be to click on the gear wheel in the pop-up app to open  the dashboard...

You should not need to rely on the client app to restore a backup.  Doubly so when the client app is in the parlous state that it currently is!

I would need to move the mouse close to light speed to even reach the BTCloud client app before it crashes at the moment. 😫  Consequently I can't say whether your recommended approach works any differently from the web interface.

However, I can confirm that the web interface (which is for many of us the only currently available BTCloud interface) continues to have the bug that popopoppin described.  The server side application fails to drill into subfolders to find their contents, resulting in only one level of subfolders being downloaded - without any content.

Technically, a recursive folder search routine is required instead of the single pass used in the recent code rewrite. 

As popoppin notes, this is not a workable backup/restore solution.  

Well I don't know why you've decided to direct your venom at me, but that's your problem

The simple logic is that the app is used to set the backup/Upload and restore/Download options.

As far as I can tell it is not possible to upload files via the Website other than to the Sync directories. I have not been able to directly load a file into the Backup structure. So it makes sense that retrieving files from Backup, using the Website, produces a zip file. That is the same as on Onedrive.

I had intended running some tests to confirm what I wrote in post 661, but your tone has set me against doing so - I have backup on three hard drives, and BT Cloud is only a last-ditch fallback, so it's not worth my while spending any more time on this.

I shall leave it to popopoppin to confirm, or otherwise.

0 Ratings
Message 676 of 1,226

GeoffSmith wrote: "Well I don't know why you've decided to direct your venom at me, but that's your problem"

I didn't direct any venom at anyone.  I simply pointed out that your "solution" was not currently available to many BTCloud users and should not be necessary in any case.  Why you should consider such a statement of fact to be venomous is YOUR problem.

GeoffSmith then wrote: "As far as I can tell it is not possible to upload files via the Website other than to the Sync directories."

But it certainly was, prior to the "update", and I have done so many times.  You can log into your BTCloud account from any machine, tablet or phone, whether BTCloud is installed on it or not, and could download your complete backup using the web interface.  It was a very reliable, if slow, means of moving entire drives from one machine to another.  Now, as popopoppin pointed out, you can only get the files from the selected folder, and sub-folders are empty.  In short, it is BROKEN, specifically missing a recursive folder search routine, and we still have no evidence that your "solution" would be any better, even for those who could avail themselves of it.

Message 677 of 1,226

Re: BTcloud

Celtos - have you followed the instructions in the BT Cloud User Guide dated 4/12/2020 ? The New BT Cloud has not been released yet, but you may want to be prepared for when it does.
JTS1
Message 678 of 1,226

None of my files have been updated in the Cloud since 1st December 2020 (the date I upgraded to the new version).

Is there a way to revert to the previous version of BT Cloud while I wait for BT to fix the problems with the latest release?

0 Ratings
Message 679 of 1,226

Exactly the same here. Looks like we will just have to wait

0 Ratings
Message 680 of 1,226

MCB wrote: Is there a way to revert to the previous version of BT Cloud while I wait for BT to fix the problems with the latest release?

It may be too late, but if you have System Restore enabled in Control Panel (Under System\System Protection), and a suitable restore point prior to the BTCloud update time, then you could try that. 

Restore will leave all of your files intact and only roll back software updates to the time the restore point was created.  You can scan for the programs that will be affected by the Restore action before starting it.  If BTCloud is in that list then it should revert back to the previous version if you use that restore point.

Unfortunately, all of the restore points available for my system now are after BTCloud was updated and I suspect most people will be in the same situation unless they have allocated a large amount of disk space for restore points to be saved in.  Hence my opening comment that it may be too late now.  😣 

0 Ratings