cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 871 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud Won't Start

RKM, thanks for your reply, maybe my confusion over this is because the system isn't working correctly, during my many hours spent since the "upgrade" playing with BT Cloud I have replicated the same file folders in both the backup folder listing and the sync listing but if I worked in a backup file it didn't update  the corresponding sync file, if I now work in a sync file folder it doesn't update the same file in a backup folder, that's why I couldn't work out how backup and sync work with each other.

I read another update is due maybe all will be resolved with that, one thing I do know is that a file amended in any folder doesn't upload to the web and show as uploaded in the recently updated pop up window until after a PC restart.

0 Ratings
Message 872 of 1,226

@rogerdogerwrote:

RKM, thanks for your reply, maybe my confusion over this is because the system isn't working correctly

Almost certainly true.  I haven't had a working version since the original update until yesterday, when I got a preview or beta version of the upcoming new issue, so I can't really comment on what was happening with the previous non-working issue, it just crashed for me.  However it seemed to work for a few users, while many others had different problems with it entirely.  So your confusion could certainly be down to the faulty app.

All I can tell you is what should happen and confirm that it almost* does that with the upcoming 2021 issue.

* Any remaining bugs could actually be in the Server Software, with the App itself operating perfectly.  We might find out in due course, but more likely it will magically be fixed and nobody will admit where the problem lay.  😀

0 Ratings
Message 873 of 1,226

@rperc13wrote:
Just to be absolutely clear, there are no deleted items

OK, one last question, were the Tom Tom files in the "Documents" Folder?

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 874 of 1,226

Can anyone explain to me what is the difference between backup and sync? When I joined BT Cloud, my intention was to back up the important files I had, so that if anything happened to my PC I would have access to backed up copies. These are files I work on and change regularly, in some cases daily. I understood that the copies I put in the cloud would be updated every time I updated the originals on my PC and, until BT Cloud stopped working after the "upgrade", that appears to be what was happening. But now people are talking about backup folders and sync folders. But I don't know what they mean by that. I can only see what were the original folders on my PC and what look like copies in the cloud.

0 Ratings
Message 875 of 1,226

Yes they were
0 Ratings
Message 876 of 1,226

Sorry should have added, but not in one of the 6 folders I intended backing up in the cloud
0 Ratings
Message 877 of 1,226

@rperc13wrote:

Can anyone explain to me what is the difference between backup and sync? When I joined BT Cloud, my intention was to back up the important files I had, so that if anything happened to my PC I would have access to backed up copies. These are files I work on and change regularly, in some cases daily. I understood that the copies I put in the cloud would be updated every time I updated the originals on my PC and, until BT Cloud stopped working after the "upgrade", that appears to be what was happening. But now people are talking about backup folders and sync folders. But I don't know what they mean by that. I can only see what were the original folders on my PC and what look like copies in the cloud.

Back up is defined as - Copying content so it can be preserved and accessed in case of data loss.

Syncing is defined as - Replicating data across multiple devices and the Cloud. Web, Desktop, and Mobile clients offer sync capabilities.

There use on the BT Cloud is described in the BT Cloud User Guide from Pages 29 onwards.

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 878 of 1,226

@rperc13wrote:

See my post #870 in this thread.

You are correct that copies of files in your selected backup folders would be uploaded to the cloud every time you changed them and that the "upgrade" broke that functionality.  However, some people were also copying files into the BTCloud sync folder, so that they could be simultaneously copied to the cloud and other platforms running the BTCloud App, whilst others were doing both!

I sometimes did both: just to be sure, to be sure. 😉

Some of the people using the sync folder method have found it still worked after the upgrade.  I don't think anyone has reported the backup folder method working - until today. 😁

The upcoming 2021 issue of the app should restore the backup functionality that you previously had.  Hopefully, by the time it is issued, BT will also have fixed the server side software so that the restore functionality works as well, since without it, backup to the cloud is like saving your files on Write Only Memory (WOM). 😉

Message 879 of 1,226

@JTS1wrote:

@rperc13wrote:

Back up is defined as - Copying content so it can be preserved and accessed in case of data loss.

Syncing is defined as - Replicating data across multiple devices and the Cloud. Web, Desktop, and Mobile clients offer sync capabilities.

There use on the BT Cloud is described in the BT Cloud User Guide from Pages 29 onwards.

JTS1

Pages 5 and 6 of the BT Cloud User Guide provide further details on Backup and Syncing, as follows:
Key Functions

BACKUP

You can backup content into the Cloud from all BT Cloud platforms – Web, Desktop, and Mobile. On both Desktop and Mobile, backup can be automated with no action required, ensuring that your content is kept safe in the Cloud as soon as the content is created on the device.

SYNC

Keeping content in sync means that content is accessible across multiple devices and the Cloud. Both the Desktop and Mobile clients offer sync capabilities. On the Desktop, files and folders are synced to the Cloud and to/from any other computers that are running the BT Cloud application. On mobile devices, sync is used to ensure that a user’s address book is kept up to date across all their mobile devices as well as the Cloud.

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 880 of 1,226

RKM post No 859

It seems to have alI (I think!) historic stuff as best as I can see, there are duplications so the new clearly is not clever enough to stop that. I don't get that issue with my WD cloud.
Apart from that the new 21.1.1 test app is working fine.
Cheerd
Jamie
0 Ratings