cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 951 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud Won't Start

The only thing that happens when I click the desktop icon (which I had to create myself, as the install didn't create it) is the app starts in the hidden tray.  I have a C:\Users\hp\BT Cloud folder, but I don't use syncing, I only use BT cloud as a way of backing up all my files, so the above folder is kind of irrelevant for me!  But yes, I do have it, to answer your question.

0 Ratings
Message 952 of 1,226

I've not been on here lately so apologies for the dumb question, but has BT released a new Desktop Client yet ?

I have 20.6.1

Many thanks........................

0 Ratings
Message 953 of 1,226

@andyholtenwrote:

The only thing that happens when I click the desktop icon (which I had to create myself, as the install didn't create it) is the app starts in the hidden tray.  I have a C:\Users\hp\BT Cloud folder, but I don't use syncing, I only use BT cloud as a way of backing up all my files, so the above folder is kind of irrelevant for me!  But yes, I do have it, to answer your question.

Can you tell me what the Properties of your Desktop BT Cloud icon, which you created yourself,  say is the Target.  Does it look anything like this:  

"C:\Users\HP\AppData\Local\BTCloud\BT Cloud.exe" , if not what does it say?

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 954 of 1,226

@englishbullterrierwrote:

I've not been on here lately so apologies for the dumb question, but has BT released a new Desktop Client yet ?

I have 20.6.1

Many thanks........................

Version 21.1.1 is still undergoing tests and still has not yet been released.

JTS1

Message 955 of 1,226

@andyholtenwrote:

The only thing that happens when I click the desktop icon (which I had to create myself, as the install didn't create it) is the app starts in the hidden tray. 

What else would you like it to do? 🤣

It’s a designated Windows background app, which means it shows up in the System Tray along with all the other background apps.

0 Ratings
Message 956 of 1,226

@RKMwrote:

@andyholtenwrote:

The only thing that happens when I click the desktop icon (which I had to create myself, as the install didn't create it) is the app starts in the hidden tray. 

It’s a designated Windows background app, which means it shows up in the System Tray along with all the other background apps.

It should also open the Desktop BT Cloud client folder in File explorer, where the Cloud contents can be viewed.

JTS1

Message 957 of 1,226

@JTS1wrote:

@RKMwrote:

@andyholtenwrote:

It should also open the Desktop BT Cloud client folder in File explorer, where the Cloud contents can be viewed.

No it shouldn't.  This is NOT the old version, it is a completely new version with a new User Interface, as explained clearly on Page 29 of the User Guide:

REDUCED UI
The Desktop client provides a minimal UI. Once configured, the objective is that the client runs consistently, reliably, and unobtrusively in the background. The result is that the UI has been reduced to:
• A systray icon that indicates the status of the client and from which the systray menu is launched
• A systray menu that provides a view of in-process and recently processed files and from which the user can access the configuration options.
• A preferences screen, through which the user configures backup and sync. The initial run of the client forces the user to configure backup or sync.

Note that there is NO LONGER a function to open the sync folder from the desktop icon when the app is running, because it always should be running now, as a background application.  

Message 958 of 1,226

The yet to be released 21.1.1

I was given access to this version and it has been awful for me.  

The initial "update" would load and then "unload" after 30 seconds so I never got as far as backup or synch errors but all the data was still on the cloud.

Version 21.1.1 - I hope this does not get released in its current state or an awful lot of data will be lost!

I managed to install the software and login (a big improvement for me) and was able to choose "backup or "synch" options and it seemed to be working fine.  

UNTIL:

1.  It randomly switched from "make only the following folders available on this computer" to "Make all BT CLoud content available on this computer.

I never wanted all the data on my computer as the disk drive on my PC is not large enough to hold all this data and the CPU/Memory etc is working overtime whilst it downloads all this data I do not want

2. Whatever you do do not delete a sub folder or rename any of the folders or you will lose data - i have lost so much data because of this.  This is a typical scenario that happened to me

a) synch FOLDER A and one of the 3 subfolders (folderA-subfolder1). Works fine and the PC and the cloud are in synch

b) Create subfolder on PC and load 1. Works and Subfolder is created and resides on cloud and PC

c) Move data from FolderA-subfolder1 to newly created FolderA-subfolder4 . folderA-subfolder1 is now empty (on the PC)

The cloud is now showing all the files that were in FolderA-subfolder1 as deleted and they are now individually listed in the deleted files - although I never deleted them.

The synching is now "uploading" all these files into the new FolderA-subFolder

So when you MOVE or RENAME a file it deletes it and then creates a new one

d) to add to my troubles - FolderA-subfolder2 and FolderA-subfolder3 - which were never chosen to be "synched" were deleted 

e) rename FolderA to a new name - folder B and it deletes everything in that folder and all subfolders regardless of you synching them or not.  If you then try and restore it produces an error and does not allow you to restore the missing subfolders and your deleted items folder is showing (in my case 15,121 ) files individually so its almost impossible to see "at a glance" which folders its randomly deleted - 

I have lost hours, data and the will to live - put your data in the cloud but dont trust the "sycnh" until you are 100% certain its working properly and test it by moving and rename folders etc to make sure it works for you.  

Hopefully this will not be a problem for anyone else as the released version will I am sure have fixed these problems - but just in case its something to think about.

I am very fortunate as I had an SSD drive with all this data backed up as a secondary backup - which is now my primary backup for now!!!

this has gone on for too long and is a nightmare

0 Ratings
Message 959 of 1,226

"C:\ProgramData\HP\BTCloud\app-20.6.1\BT Cloud.exe"

This is all irrelevent, as the app was working (well, it was starting and uploading files when it felt like it) until yesterday, when it started being unable to connect to the cloud servers.  The app locations etc didn't change overnight. I have added the app to the firewall's allowed apps in case that made any difference, but it hasn't.

0 Ratings
Message 960 of 1,226

BT Cloud still unusable & sitting exactly as it was beginning of December. Tray icon doesn't work, paused in error mode, no syncing, says the account is full when it is no where near! Nothing will budge.

Tech people rang us before Xmas but said that we had to wait for the next  updated version to be released sometime in January after it has been tested, & that hopefully it will sort things....hmm. Still waiting & in the meantime can't access the files in the cloud to update them. Yes we can view them...but that's not much use.

Any updated information yet on what is happening?

0 Ratings