cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1011 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud Won't Start

@loanarrangerwrote:

I have a windows desktop , a new MacBook Pro and a 7 yr old iPad.

Yesterday I downloaded the app onto my Desktop and again when everything was finished the app refused to open up.

i Find this very frustrating since previously all apps opened without a problem.

During installation of BT Cloud 20.6.1 a shortcut icon, named BT Cloud will appear on your PC/Laptop Desktop screen.  It is linked to the file called BT Cloud.exe now in your File Explorer, which was put there during installation.

Highlight the BT Cloud shortcut icon, by clicking on it, and then double click it.   

Other than a slight flicker, nothing will apparently happen, this is normal, but if you have performed these actions correctly, a series of things will have started to happen that are out of sight.

A small cloud icon will appear in the Taskbar’s hidden icons, or on the Taskbar itself.  Hidden icons can be found by hovering over the upward pointing arrow on the Taskbar and clicking it once.  Amongst any other hidden icons, a small cloud icon will have appeared.

This small cloud, which shows the progression of the Syncing Process, is:
Initially a White outline with a Black centre, which means that it isn’t syncing yet. 

It will then change to become a White cloud containing two tiny arrows, one on top of the other to form a circle, which means that syncing has started.

Finally, these tiny arrows will be replaced by a tick, which means that syncing has completed.

The speed at which the icons change is determined by the Number and Size of the Files being synced, as well as your PC and Internet Speed capabilities, so you have to be very patient.  It is possible on that the first syncing process may take several hours, but just leave it running until the process is completed, even if it takes several hours.  Subsequent syncing will be much quicker.

Another thing that is happening out of sight is that a BT Cloud Folder is added to your File Explorer, which will continue to be filled as the Files being synced. 

Note 1: When I performed initial syncing, it took many hours before all of my Folders and their associated 20,600 files were totally completed. 

Note 2: If you see the words syncing or initialising metadata, don’t worry, this indicates everything is normal.

Please let me know if the process starts, or not, so that we can move on to the next step.  

JTS1 

0 Ratings
Message 1012 of 1,226

JTS1 - Re your Message 1006 of 1,011 : " It is useful information that the BT Team have been requesting."

I have found 24 files in my  ......AppData\Local\BTCloud-Data\Logs folder, more or less one file per day since when the problem started and one report event approx every 15 mins.

The key issue appears like this :-
-this latest report event was written when the “BT Cloud. An error ocured the application cannot continue….” error  box popped up:-

------------------------------------------------------------
 2021-01-26 10:12:25.486 +00:00 [ERR] Error on Syncing state Execute, { SourceContext: "Sncr.Cloud.Model.Workflow.States.Sync.SyncingState" }

System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains more than one element..............

-------------------------------------------------------------

Is there anyone in BT who is looking into this issue and would be interested in looking at my logs ?

thanks

0 Ratings
Message 1013 of 1,226

@Jules68wrote:

It is clear that the new version of BT Cloud (both server and client software) is already sort-of working for some people ... unless it has fatal flaws which make it worse than the existing client I would still suggest releasing it

You don't consider the permanent deletion of files currently safely stored on BTCloud to be a sufficiently fatal flaw to prevent its release?

That is what v21.1.1 does, and possibly earlier releases back to the first December 2020 'update' too!

"Unfit for purpose" is an understatement.  The current state of BTCloud software is positively dangerous!   

0 Ratings
Message 1014 of 1,226

@RKMwrote:

@Jules68wrote:

It is clear that the new version of BT Cloud (both server and client software) is already sort-of working for some people ... unless it has fatal flaws which make it worse than the existing client I would still suggest releasing it

You don't consider the permanent deletion of files currently safely stored on BTCloud to be a sufficiently fatal flaw to prevent its release?

That is what v21.1.1 does, and possibly earlier releases back to the first December 2020 'update' too!

"Unfit for purpose" is an understatement.  The current state of BTCloud software is positively dangerous!   

It is deleting, apparently, multiple past copies (older than the last 4) of files stored in the Cloud - when I want to save different versions of a file, I amend the name,  I don't store Outlook.pst files in the Cloud - I back up these elsewhere on a  weekly basis only. For those key files, such as accounting files etc. I would not rely on only one back-up location anyway (and ensure that at least one back up location is kept off-line). If it keeps, for me, the last 4 versions of a dynamic file only, and discards the rest, I am not worried about losing key data. So the problem is, for me, not as severe as it clearly is for you. And we are, as I have said, where we are. If there is a better version of the client app (even if not perfect) I would like it. The deletion change is on the server software anyway. And that's now effectively a done deal. You cannot turn-back time.

0 Ratings
Message 1015 of 1,226

@Jules68wrote: It is deleting, apparently, multiple past copies (older than the last 4) of files stored in the Cloud - when I want to save different versions of a file, I amend the name

That is OK when it is a document that you have created and are working on, but it is a manual procedure.  The point of a background app is that it does not depend on manual intervention, but builds on it, and also operates on files over which you have no direct control, such as those created by other apps.  Many applications other than Outlook create and update their own text or database files and a reasonable time span of historical versions of those should be maintained by any backup facility worthy of the name. 

Also, it is not deleting all but the last 4 copies.  It deletes ALL previous copies and then retains up to 4 subsequent changes.  Deleting all history before even commencing is NOT an acceptable "bug".

You are equally mis-informed that the deletions by the server side software is "done" and cannot be revoked.  The server side software only acts when provoked by the Client App.  Hence, further damage to client's BTcloud content can be prevented by delaying release of a Client App until both that and the server software are fixed.

In short, the current state of BTCloud software is positively dangerous and completely unsuitable for release.

0 Ratings
Message 1016 of 1,226

@Jules68wrote:

@RKMwrote:

@Jules68wrote:

It is deleting, apparently, multiple past copies (older than the last 4) of files stored in the Cloud - when I want to save different versions of a file, I amend the name,  I don't store Outlook.pst files in the Cloud - I back up these elsewhere on a  weekly basis only. For those key files, such as accounting files etc. I would not rely on only one back-up location anyway (and ensure that at least one back up location is kept off-line). If it keeps, for me, the last 4 versions of a dynamic file only, and discards the rest, I am not worried about losing key data. So the problem is, for me, not as severe as it clearly is for you. And we are, as I have said, where we are. If there is a better version of the client app (even if not perfect) I would like it. The deletion change is on the server software anyway. And that's now effectively a done deal. You cannot turn-back time.

1) As you doubtless know, a well-known method is to append the date and time to each new version of a file, in YYYYMMDD HHMM format. So, instead of saving 'file.ods' use 'file 20210126 1136.ods' then one can keep as many versions as one wants. There will be those who regard that as too much trouble. Well it's their data to gamble with.

2) Anyone who relies on any Cloud system for their sole backup is living in dreamland. It's essential to have offline back up - I use 3 external hard drives, they are now so cheap. 

0 Ratings
Message 1017 of 1,226

@GeoffSmithwrote:

2) Anyone who relies on any Cloud system for their sole backup is living in dreamland. It's essential to have offline back up - I use 3 external hard drives, they are now so cheap. 

Whilst I fully agree with your comment, and also use local hard drive backups myself, we must accept that not everyone follows best practice.  The BTCloud software must be able to work for those who do rely on it, whether they live in dreamland or not.  Currently it is incapable of that.

0 Ratings
Message 1018 of 1,226

I've had the same nightmare issues as most people since the disappointing BT Cloud update. After reinstalling many times and getting the settings and folders right I finally got it working and syncing correctly (even though many files were deleted off one of my local laptops in the process).

However shorty after this it began to say my Account is Full and when I look at the space on the app it says "Nan% of 0 b used". This is very false but it keeps saying it no matter how many times I reinstall and no matter what system I install BT Cloud on.

I've actually got about 773gb of free storage on my 1000gb cloud and it tells me so when I log in via web browser. How can I fix this issue so that I can be syncing with BT because I haven't been able to sync my important files, that are constantly updated, since December and it is getting quite ridiculous now.

0 Ratings
Message 1019 of 1,226

@simeon_ewrote:

I've had the same nightmare issues as most people since the disappointing BT Cloud update. After reinstalling many times and getting the settings and folders right I finally got it working and syncing correctly (even though many files were deleted off one of my local laptops in the process).

However shorty after this it began to say my Account is Full and when I look at the space on the app it says "Nan% of 0 b used". This is very false but it keeps saying it no matter how many times I reinstall and no matter what system I install BT Cloud on.

I've actually got about 773gb of free storage on my 1000gb cloud and it tells me so when I log in via web browser. How can I fix this issue so that I can be syncing with BT because I haven't been able to sync my important files, that are constantly updated, since December and it is getting quite ridiculous now.

The only time I've seen the NaN% (Not a Number) nonsense - a clear sign of lazy coding - my name had disappeared from the mini dashboard and the cloud icon was red. As no other tasks seemed affected I assumed that the BT Cloud server was down.

If your laptop is using Wi-fi I'd try an ethernet connection - just a thought, anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 1020 of 1,226

Hi Geoff,
I have the red cloud with an exclamation mark inside and when I hover over it, it says Error. It can be the server down because it has been doing this ever day for over a month now.
0 Ratings