cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1061 of 1,226

Re: Does BT cloud desktop work? 20.6.1 version re-installed but does not seem to run.

@UgleyAlwrote:

It does appear in the system tray but doesn't look very "polished" .   When installing 20.6.1 a pop-up asked me to download the desktop app.  It certainly doesn't look open up as a full desktop app but may be running in background.

There is no "desktop app" as such with 20.6.1.

If you click the cloud icon in the System Tray then it should open the reduced User Interface, which looks like a mini version of the old desktop screen.

This is all explained clearly in the User Guide, which BT have conveniently made available for everyone in the easy to find location (NOT!) explained in post 899 of this thread.  😫

Alternatively, click here😁

0 Ratings
Message 1062 of 1,226

Re: Does BT cloud desktop work? 20.6.1 version re-installed but does not seem to run.

Thank you!

0 Ratings
Message 1063 of 1,226

Some have got it to run but many awaiting the release of the new version originally planned for early January 2021

0 Ratings
Message 1064 of 1,226

@mumfiewrote:

Some have got it to run but many awaiting the release of the new version originally planned for early January 2021

If you don't have copy of the BT Cloud User Guide, this is how to get it:

Scroll down to the box Your Products and click on - Manage.

Scroll down again to BT Cloud - Included with your products - Access your stored photos and files and manage your protected devices and click on - Manage.

Scroll down again to the link beside a pile of photos and click on - Find out more about BT Cloud.

Scroll down again to the link near the end of the text and just above a picture of a BT User dreaming of about a Fixed BT Cloud, which reads - Or for a more comprehensive guide, download our customer guide to BT Cloud and click on - download our customer guide to BT Cloud.

Scroll down again to the link near the end of the text and just above a picture of a BT User dreaming of about a Fixed BT Cloud, which reads - Or for a more comprehensive guide, download our customer guide to BT Cloud and click on - download our customer guide to BT Cloud.

*****************************************************************************************
During installation of BT Cloud, a Folder and files are put into the PC/Laptop. 
One of these files is BT Cloud.exe and shortcut to it is placed on the Desktop.
The location of the Folder and files can be found by RIGHT clicking on the Desktop icon and looking at its Properties (Target & Start in).

Highlight the BT Cloud shortcut icon, by clicking on it, and then double click it.  

Other than a slight flicker, nothing will apparently happen, this is normal, but, if you have performed these actions correctly, a series of things will have started to happen that are out of sight.

A small cloud icon will appear in the Taskbar, or in Show hidden icons on it, accessed by clicking once on the upward pointing arrow.  Amongst any other hidden icons, a small cloud icon will appear.

This small cloud, which shows the progression of the Syncing Process, is:
Initially a White outline with a Black centre (Not syncing).  It will then change to become a White cloud containing two tiny arrows, one on top of the other to form a circle (Syncing).  Finally, these tiny arrows will be replaced by a tick (Syncing completed).

Another thing that is happening out of sight is that a BT Cloud Folder is added to your File Explorer, which will continue to be filled as the files are being synced. 

If you see the words syncing or initialising metadata, don’t worry, this indicates everything is normal.

Note: 1
The speed at which the icons change is to be determined by the Number and Size of the Files being synced, as well as your PC and Internet Speed capabilities, so you have to be very patient.  It is possible on that the first syncing process may take several hours, but just leave it running until the process is completed, even if it takes several hours.  Subsequent syncing will be much quicker.

Note 2: When I performed initial syncing, it took many hours before all of my Folders and their associated 20,600 files were totally completed. 

Please let me know if the process starts, or not, so that we can move on to the next step.

JTS1

Message 1065 of 1,226

@JTS1wrote:

@mumfiewrote:

If you don't have copy of the BT Cloud User Guide, this is how to get it:

Click on the link at the end of post 1061.  😉

Message 1066 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud Won't Start

Hi, it stopped working mid November, downloaded update, started working again. Now stopped again no icon in the hidden icons in lower pc screen bar. Tried downloading approx 6-7 times it wont complete the installation. Can any one advise. Ta

0 Ratings
Message 1067 of 1,226

@famwrote:

Hi, it stopped working mid November, downloaded update, started working again. Now stopped again no icon in the hidden icons in lower pc screen bar. Tried downloading approx 6-7 times it wont complete the installation. Can any one advise. Ta

Best advice that I would give at the moment is to remove it from the startup list (under Task Manager on the Start-up tab) and wait until the fixed version is released.  It could be tomorrow.  It could be a few weeks or even months.  However, trying to run a faulty version every time you restart the PC is just causing more damage to the data that you have safely stored on BTCloud at the moment.

Message 1068 of 1,226

@famwrote:

During installation of BT Cloud, a Folder and files are put into the PC/Laptop. 
One of these files is BT Cloud.exe and shortcut to it is placed on the Desktop.
The location of the Folder and files can be found by RIGHT clicking on the Desktop icon and looking at its Properties (Target & Start in).

Highlight the BT Cloud shortcut icon, by clicking on it, and then double click it.  

Other than a slight flicker, nothing will apparently happen, this is normal, but, if you have performed these actions correctly, a series of things will have started to happen that are out of sight.

A small cloud icon will appear in the Taskbar, or in Show hidden icons on it, accessed by clicking once on the upward pointing arrow.  Amongst any other hidden icons, a small cloud icon will appear.

This small cloud, which shows the progression of the Syncing Process, is:
Initially a White outline with a Black centre (Not syncing).  It will then change to become a White cloud containing two tiny arrows, one on top of the other to form a circle (Syncing).  Finally, these tiny arrows will be replaced by a tick (Syncing completed).

Another thing that is happening out of sight is that a BT Cloud Folder is added to your File Explorer, which will continue to be filled as the files are being synced. 

If you see the words syncing or initialising metadata, don’t worry, this indicates everything is normal.

Note: 1
The speed at which the icons change is to be determined by the Number and Size of the Files being synced, as well as your PC and Internet Speed capabilities, so you have to be very patient.  It is possible on that the first syncing process may take several hours, but just leave it running until the process is completed, even if it takes several hours.  Subsequent syncing will be much quicker.

Note 2: When I performed initial syncing, it took many hours before all of my Folders and their associated 20,600 files were totally completed. 

Please let me know if the process starts, or not, so that we can move on to the next step.

JTS1

Message 1069 of 1,226

I've done nothing except leave it to its own devices and it seems to work albeit with the new and different inteface.  I have been able to access backed up files from another computer and when I check it appears to be backing up changed files.  

I am aware of it working as it locks me out and takes all the computing power to check and backup files so I can do nothing but wait until its ready - or switch off sync.  

This does need sorting the fact that BT Cloud is apparently the priority user rather than me.

And of course, the available help guide still relates to the pre Christmas version.

Alan

0 Ratings
Message 1070 of 1,226

@AlanRowlandwrote:

I've done nothing except leave it to its own devices and it seems to work albeit with the new and different inteface.  I have been able to access backed up files from another computer and when I check it appears to be backing up changed files.  

I am aware of it working as it locks me out and takes all the computing power to check and backup files so I can do nothing but wait until its ready - or switch off sync.  

This does need sorting the fact that BT Cloud is apparently the priority user rather than me.

And of course, the available help guide still relates to the pre Christmas version.

Alan

See previous Message 1068.  

JTS1