cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1131 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud

Thanks for you advice. I appear to have lost all my university work I have been backing up on BT Cloud since Sept. I will follow your instructions and see if I can recover my files. 

0 Ratings
Message 1132 of 1,226

Re: BT cloud

Thought this was going to be sorted back in January.   My system is still broken and not seen anything about an update.   Think it's time BT either sorted this or admitted that they can on longer  offer a cloud storage solution.  

Running BT Cloud 20.6.1 (C) 2021 BT PLC -

Not sure how it can be copyright 2021 since it was installed on my system in 2020 and the last time it worked was back in 2020.

0 Ratings
Message 1133 of 1,226

@HaroldHastingswrote:

Thought this was going to be sorted back in January.   My system is still broken and not seen anything about an update.   Think it's time BT either sorted this or admitted that they can on longer  offer a cloud storage solution.  

Running BT Cloud 20.6.1 (C) 2021 BT PLC -

Not sure how it can be copyright 2021 since it was installed on my system in 2020 and the last time it worked was back in 2020.

When it was written and when it was copyrighted may well be different dates - as this was an urgent job it is very possible that it was  released before the copyright paperwork was complete - indeed if it had not worked at all (rather than partially working, for some people) BT might not have bothered to copyright it anyway. Or, and again quite possibly, when first released the (c) and date may have been simply left off, in error, and was only added in the New Year.

I have written this before, but BT's solution, however currently spavined, does work as required for some (possibly most) customers. It is those with complex multi-machine back-ups and synchronisations for which the desktop app doesn't seem fit for purpose, but these will almost certainly be a minority of customers. And many will have alternate back-up etc. strategies and be prepared to wait for BT to get it right - particularly as the BT 'solution' almost certainly costs them nothing currently.

0 Ratings
Message 1134 of 1,226

For whatever reason, my DEC. update, (installed early Jan and I itially didn't work at all), suddenly started working after a couple of weeks, with all the functionality it is supposed to have, across the desktop, laptop and phone. The user interface is very poorly arranged and left lacking in many areas, so I hope this is addressed when the latest beta version is eventually released.

The reason(s) for the Dec update working for some and not for others need to be addressed. It was also poor show that the help files related to the old version and the ful .pdf user guide for the update version was not immediately available and could only eventually be found if you knew where to drill down to find it! 

0 Ratings
Message 1135 of 1,226

I have written this before, but BT's solution, however currently spavined, does work as required for some (possibly most) customers. It is those with complex multi-machine back-ups and synchronisations for which the desktop app doesn't seem fit for purpose, but these will almost certainly be a minority of customers. And many will have alternate back-up etc. strategies and be prepared to wait for BT to get it right - particularly as the BT 'solution' almost certainly costs them nothing currently.

Thank you Jules68, but I have only a desktop connected to BT Cloud - nothing complicated - and BT Cloud has not worked at all for me since the update

0 Ratings
Message 1136 of 1,226

@rperc13 

I know this sounds silly, but you have checked in your task bar - where the little up arrow is on the right, that you don't have a little cloud symbol in the 'hidden' apps? This is where the new BT Cloud hides itself. If you click on the Cloud symbol, and then on the Globe at the top of the box that appears that will take you to the web (browser) location of your BT Cloud storage. Of course, you may know this already and BT Cloud may well not be hidden there.

0 Ratings
Message 1137 of 1,226

Jules68

Oh the little cloud system is there with a black line in the middle.  Hovering over it, it says "Unexpected error". Clicking on it brings up the box with a little red cloud in the top left corner. Hovering over that it says "Error". Clicking on "Resume Syncing" produces another error message, one that appears every 15 minutes or so unless I exit BT Cloud. I know I can get to the web location via the globe. That shows me all my files are still there but that no syncing has taken place since last 1st December . I have even used the Drop facility to add updated files from time to time. So things are safe but for me BT Cloud is otherwise not operating at all. I decided to wait for the promised new update ages ago but I am beginning to doubt if it will ever come

0 Ratings
Message 1138 of 1,226

@rperc13wrote:

Jules68

Oh the little cloud system is there with a black line in the middle.  Hovering over it, it says "Unexpected error". Clicking on it brings up the box with a little red cloud in the top left corner. Hovering over that it says "Error". Clicking on "Resume Syncing" produces another error message, one that appears every 15 minutes or so unless I exit BT Cloud. I know I can get to the web location via the globe. That shows me all my files are still there but that no syncing has taken place since last 1st December . I have even used the Drop facility to add updated files from time to time. So things are safe but for me BT Cloud is otherwise not operating at all. I decided to wait for the promised new update ages ago but I am beginning to doubt if it will ever come

We do know from others on this forum that some customers are testing betas of the new version - so one has been written and is being tested. So it probably will come - but the timing does not match the first promises given. Maybe it's more difficult to write a front-end for a quality Cloud Service than BT initially thought when they took this in-house - who'd have thought! I cannot get my Windows 10 to update to either of the last 2 feature releases - just gives the same error code, so I do understand your frustration.  At least your data stored to date seems safe and accessible. Which is a (tiny) mercy.

0 Ratings
Message 1139 of 1,226

I have left BT Cloud alone for a few weeks waiting for my frustrations to subside! I found the very useful advice from JTS1 in message 1122, and have successfully followed it through, and now laptop and desktop are fully synced.

So now some happiness restored!

This morning the little black cloud has vanished from my laptop toolbar, and it's not in the hidden addon toolbar either. Do I need to rerun : 

NigelB143_0-1613557615154.png

Or is there something else I may have missed/ can do?

Change of thought: We have some amongst us who are beta testing the escape route: provisionally titled 20.6.2.

Without breaking any non-disclosure agreements, they/you may have signed,  can anyone provide the rest of with hope?

0 Ratings
Message 1140 of 1,226

@NigelB143  We got a few phone calls from BT asking if we would test new versions of the Cloud  and all I have got to say  is the latest version version is pretty much the same as the version you have with a few “fixes” thrown in. Does it still have issues? Yes is the short answer, in my case I have given them regular feedback and until about a month ago they would feedback to me very quickly. I have an issue where the latest system 21.1.6  is parity much using all of my broadband width. I sent them evidence to demonstrate  along with a few other questions supplied fro folk on this forum and was told they would investigate and come back to me. That was a month ago and since then I have heard nothing. So current status is still waiting.

Cheers

Jamie

0 Ratings