cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1191 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud wont start

I have not used the latest version of BT Cloud and look forward to new one. I have one question and that is will it reflect the folder structure I have in My Pictures in the backups or will it blast  many thousands of photos to the four winds and I have to rebuild all the albums ?

Remember the first version of BT Cloud did exactly that. (The F-Secure version).

0 Ratings
Message 1192 of 1,226

Cicero

Have no worries everything you in the Cloud will still be there as there is no change in platform the recent updates have been issued to resolve operational problems.

Cheers

Jamie

0 Ratings
Message 1193 of 1,226

Many thanks Jamie and angela

0 Ratings
Message 1194 of 1,226

@Cicerowrote:

I have not used the latest version of BT Cloud and look forward to new one. I have one question and that is will it reflect the folder structure I have in My Pictures in the backups or will it blast  many thousands of photos to the four winds and I have to rebuild all the albums ?

Remember the first version of BT Cloud did exactly that. (The F-Secure version)

You are right, but there are advantages in keeping Albums and Folders separate.  Folders can be constructed into a hierarchical way, making the files within them easier to find, whereas Albums are stand alone. 

In BT Cloud, there is no option available in Albums to move or copy their contents to Folders and in BT Cloud, there is no option available in Folders to copy their contents to Albums, but they can be moved to Albums.

In a PC's File Explorer, if files that are in Albums are moved into Folders, they are removed from the BT Cloud Albums.  Also, files moved from Folders to Albums  in BT Cloud, these files are removed from the Folders in the PC's File Explorer. 

However, Albums do have there own advantages, such as the files that they contain are able to be Shared using a Public link with others and they can then be downloaded, or run these as a Slideshow.

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 1195 of 1,226

It seems there are further problems.

I have most of my hard disc back-up on BT Cloud.  The folders and files are all there and I can search and find everything.  Yesterday I tried to download one of my directories.  It duly downloaded a zip file of the directory, the files in it and the sub-directories in it.  However, all the sub-directories were shown as empty.  They still contain files on BT Cloud, but don't download with the parent directory.

Obviously I could go to each sub-directory and download that, but that is not how they uploaded and would be time-consuming. 

Is there a switch somewhere to ensure sub-directories are downloaded at the same time as the parent?

Is this another "feature" that BT needs to address?

Regards

Alan

0 Ratings
Message 1196 of 1,226

I have been having problems with BT Cloud since early December when I understand without any notification BT removed a product which worked and replaced it with one that doesn't unless you are prepared to dig deep into things - something no other software/app provider requires you to do.

Today I thought I would try the reinstall option.  I logged into My BT and was more than a little surprised to find that BT Cloud no longer appears under my included products (it did a couple of weeks ago).  Does BT now deal with complaining customers by simply making them disappear?

0 Ratings
Message 1197 of 1,226

@AlanRowlandwrote:

Obviously I could go to each sub-directory and download that, but that is not how they uploaded and would be time-consuming. 

Is there a switch somewhere to ensure sub-directories are downloaded at the same time as the parent?

Is this another "feature" that BT needs to address?

The intended method is to use Selective Download. This extract from the User Guide has to be followed precisely.

Selective Download.jpg

The last time I tried it there was one problem, which might now have been fixed.

Suppose a directory structure C:\Users\<name>\Documents\A\B\C

Selective Download of directory A worked, with B and C fully populated.

The problem was that Selective Download of B or C downloaded from level A.

0 Ratings
Message 1198 of 1,226

Thank you GeoffSmith

I will give that a try.  I had assumed that as choosing directories to upload I could do the same for a download.

How naive of me 🙂

Alan

0 Ratings
Message 1199 of 1,226

@AlanRowlandwrote:

I had assumed that as choosing directories to upload I could do the same for a download.

How naive of me

You are correct, of course, that changing Upload to Download in the Backup list should restore the directory and all its sub-directories, but the last time I tried that the sub-directories were empty.

As you mentioned a zip file I assumed that you were doing a takeout from the Cloud website, hence the suggestion to use Selective Download.

0 Ratings
Message 1200 of 1,226

Alan, the screen shot that you sent to me was of "All My Files", which should be identical to your PC's BT Cloud at:  C:\Users\<name>\Documents\BT Cloud, as these are your Sync files.

"All My Files" is a confusing title as it does not contain ALL of your Files, as it doesn't contain your Backup Files, and it only contains your Synced Folders and Files that are from your: 
C:\Users\<name>\Documents\BT Cloud

You are trying to Upload, or Download Backup files from:  C:\Users\<name>\Documents\A\B\C.
You can view these on the same pages as the one mentioned above, but in "Documents", which is accessed by going to the selection directly above "All My Files".

JTS1

0 Ratings