cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 481 of 1,226

Re: BT Cloud Won't Start

JTS1 wrote:  that is a very good point about Accepting Conditions, it could apply to a lot of members that are having problems getting started.

Unlikely.  Certainly on my "update" and like most apps, the update button was greyed out until I HAD accepted the conditions.

It still just sits there with a "One time metadata initialisation" message for about 20 minutes when I try to run BTCloud.  Then it crashes, or rather it closes by itself without any input from me.

I have removed BTCloud from Windows10 startup list on Task Manager so it no longer loads automatically, but try it manually every couple of days to see if it has been fixed.  It hasn't.

0 Ratings
Message 482 of 1,226

Hi RKM
After you try to start BTCloud, have you looked in the system tray for the BTCloud icon and status ?
0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager - Retired
Message 483 of 1,226

Hi, Everyone,

Thanks for your continued patience.  The update to the BT Cloud Windows client was necessary to ensure long term stability and functionality.

Following customers reports of problems with the new software, we’ve been working continuously to improve the performance of the Windows 20.6.1 client and have now made some changes which we believe to have had a positive effect.

Whilst we understand how frustrating it will be for those of you still having problems, we’d like to assure you that we’re committed to working to resolve these. However, we don’t want to release a new client without it being fully tested so we now plan on doing this early in the new year.

Our agents and forum leads will continue to provide support and, where necessary, may ask you to provide us with some logs to aid our ongoing investigations.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused to you whilst we work through this and we’ll continue to keep you updated.

Whilst, not your preferred method, if you’re having problems you can still use our service from the web at BT Cloud web .

Below is some guidance on commonly reported issues.

Guidance on commonly reported Issues:

High CPU Usage

The new client is meant to be more performant so its normal that during the first few days high CPU could be experienced as it does a full scan to ensure all files are backed up as they should and all file is correctly downloaded from the Cloud if Sync is turned on.

This should return to normal once all your files are synced (there is a green tick on the cloud icon in your dashboard)

If you are continuing to see high CPU usage even after all your files are synced, please let us know with your logs and screenshot of your Task Manager.

Older files are being synced

The new client uses better code and when it rescans old files, it determines it can create a better backup than last time for that particular file. Hence a newer version of the file is backed up. Once all files are synced using this version - you should not see this again.

New or updates to existing files don’t seem to be syncing

The new client by default scans your backed up folders continuously (unless you have changed the frequency to weekly) and if it determines a change, it backs up the files immediately. Sometimes, when the network is busy which could be your local broadband or we see a lot of uploads at the same time, we try and queue this for efficiency. You should normally see all your files backed up within 12-24 hours.

Release of the new client last week caused an unexpected spike which caused a lot of traffic into our data centres which we have scaled now so you should be seeing this working better. We expect this to return to normal fully by end of this week once all our customer's uploads have completed.

If you are continuing to see issues, please send us your logs for investigation.

Errors while using the client e.g. Unexpected Error, Metadata message not clearing

This again we believe was mostly caused by the spike in usage last week and caused some users these errors. As we have scaled our network over the last week, customers should not be seeing this.

If this is still happening, please try restarting the client once to check if this has resolved it.

If you are continuing to see issues, please send us your logs for investigation.

Other reported issues e.g. Sync folder duplication and PC file directory not mirroring

We think these should not be happening and only reported by 1-2 users, we are working with the affected users directly to work out the issue.

Settings not carried over on upgrade

All your backup folder and sync settings are preserved on upgrade, unfortunately, if you uninstall and reinstall the application after upgrade - the client will assume a fresh install and not remember any settings.

Duplicate sync folder

Each time you install the application, a new sync folder location is suggested

On the first install - its gets created here in the format C:\Users\<your profile>\BT Cloud

On reinstallation - its gets created here in the format C:\Users\<your profile>\BT Cloud (1)

On each reinstall - the number gets incremented as default.

If you think you already have a sync folder - click browse and select the original one to avoid creating a duplicate.

Cheers

Sean

Message 484 of 1,226

Hi, followed your info and I have the Cloud and my files. However, I still have no BT Client sitting on my C Disk and therefore apart from the files sitting up in the cloud, I have no other back up and no control over where my files are. This is a real concern. I can slowly/painfully select files, download/open Zips/copy into a already named folders, but for 23gig of pictures alone in Hundreds of folders, I can see old age approaching rapidly. BT must come up with a solution to recreate the Client file that they 'stole', even if they create a small usb? hard? disk with my data in its current format and send to me
Message 485 of 1,226

"Whilst we understand how frustrating it will be for those of you still having problems, we’d like to assure you that we’re committed to working to resolve these. However, we don’t want to release a new client without it being fully tested so we now plan on doing this early in the new year."

Such a pity this was no your preferred way of working prior to the previous install.

Message 486 of 1,226

Problems continue. Individual files are being backed up but not filed into folders to mirror the PC - so trying to find a file when you have thousands is close to impossible. When I log into the Cloud website, there is a folder called 'BT Cloud' which has my list of folders mirroring the PC - but all the files in the folders are old back-ups. No new back-ups have gone in. The new back-ups are just listed as the individual files under 'Recent activity'. This is close to useless.

Message 487 of 1,226

I still can't get into the system at all via desktop.   Can't download properly either..  hopefully Shakira still on it

Message 488 of 1,226

Sean

Good of you to eventually come back with a response. Why are the screen icons not working? Why does the system render my internet service useless? The system also impacts heavily on my laptop performance? The interesting thing is when I unistall the Cloud my laptop performs perfectly. This not about doing small fixes.....a total rewrite is required by someone who knowswhat they are doing. From a very **bleep** off BT customer who pays a load of money each month!!!! Get the finger out and get the thing sorted limp excuses do not cut it!!!!!
Message 489 of 1,226

Still getting the Unexpected Error message when starting the client and only option is to exit it. So BT Clound is definitely not working for me. Log files where requeested and set a couple of days ago. Would have been nice if somebody had acknowledged reciept of them.

Not a very happy customer.
Message 490 of 1,226

So how does this leave customers who now don't have the old version and cannot install the new client even logging into web version currently yields a screen as below, just as well  I don't rely on this as only backup coupled with the 8 year old issue that Outlook PST files cant auto backup.

{
"error": "parameters_invalid",
"code": "MB4-06"
}