cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spludge
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

BT Cloud Word Documents

This is a rant and a warning to other users, so please don't bother replying as I've given up with it.

I am reasonably compouter literate but I find the BT Cloud very badly designed, but more worryingly, very unreliable. I won't bother you with all the saga, but the final straw was that I found that Word document new saves and changes were being ignored by Word; or Word was saving them as a conflict file; but worst of all, deleting a Word document from BT Cloud (interface on my PC) also erased all the text on the Word document and left it as a blank 0kb size file. This is not the BT Cloud backup version, but the one on my hard disc! I have now lost several important files.

The problem was not Word, it was fine until I installed and started using BT Cloud. Now I've taken off BT Cloud, Word is fine.

Rant over.

Thanks for you time.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Cloud Word Documents

Hi Spludge,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry for the problems that you are having.  This is a strange one, BT Cloud doesn't have the capability to delete all text on a word document.  I would be very keen to get to the bottom of this, could you drop me your details so that I can investigate to see what has happened.  By the sound of it you have had a poor experience but I am sure we can turn this around.

Please drop me an email via the 'Contact Us' link in my profile. (click on my name and you will find the link under the "about me" section). Include your BT account details and the link to this thread.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
ispence
Message 3 of 8

I have had a similar and very frustrating problem, twice. I had a word file which was backed up to BT cloud. I then edited the file and saved the changes. The second time this happened i emailed a copy of the file so I know the changes were saved. The file was kept open in word for a while and eventually closed.

Subsequently the file was changed back to the previous version and the changes were lost. It looks as though BT cloud could not backup the file because it was open and then subsequently restored it from the cloud version which was by then out of date.

Can you please confirm whether auto backup is allowed ever to modify local files? It should clearly not do this but that is what I have seen.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 8

I had a similar experience yesterday; where the Word document totally disappeared from my local disk.  I couldn't replicate the issue though.  It was only a test document, though ... I wouldn't trust BT Cloud with any valuable documents in its present state.

See also related thread http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/BT-Cloud-Really-Struggling/m-p/846922#U846922

There was also a similar-ish n issue recently with BT Cloud and zip files.  I can't find it now.

0 Ratings
TB99
Message 5 of 8

I have also experienced this problem on 2 separate computers using BT Cloud.

I think the problem occurs when a file is modified on the computer whilst it is being uploaded to the cloud. So far as I can see, this is because a process called f-secure host process, used by the BT Cloud, blocks changes to the file while it is being uploaded. Changes are therefore treated by Microsoft Office as conflicts with potentially disasterous consequences for the saving of data.

Until this is fixed (or someone at BT can explain why the above explanation is incorrect) I won't be using it.

0 Ratings
saf1901
Message 6 of 8

Another one for this problem. Luckily I didn't lose data but very nearly did. Why can't it just work like dropbox? I'm running Windows 7 and I've given up on using it. I've uninstalled it and my computer is responsive again.

This was one of the reasons I renewed my contract and I'm very disappointed. It is now two months since the original post in this thread and does not seem to have been sorted.

0 Ratings
kozanstatue
Message 7 of 8

I am also experiencing this issue, and it doesn't only apply to word documents. Gamesaves for a particular game I am using are affected in the same way, and I end up with a folder FULL of conflict saves (I had 240+ when I just checked - and the game itself keeps just 5 autosaves and whatever manual ones you make, and did so fine before installation of BT Cloud and adding the folder to the cloud backup).

For a product that is meant to increase peace of mind about backing up important files, BT Cloud is currently failing on the basis of these conflict saves and 0kb files.

It also prevents deletion of 0kb files that are created in error, giving the message:

"This action cannot be completed as the file is open in the f-secure host process. "

The point someone else in the thread makes seems to ring true to me, the one about how it seems to occur when BT Cloud attempts to back up a file in use. That will happen given that users will tend to drop their entire documents folder into the backup (default backup plans include it by default). BT Cloud needs to be made to handle that scenario without causing the creation of multiple conflict saves and locking users out of controlling files.
0 Ratings
UniqueUserName
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

The problem with conflict documents being created has not been solved and makes using Cloud unworkable.  If working for a long time on a Word document the conflict documents mount up (85 before I realised) and edits are lost from the original (starting) document.  

I can't see a way to make BT Cloud back up only at set times, or after the document has been closed, so there is no way to work round the problem that I can find.  I have just uninstalled BT Cloud - it's worse than useless, it actually causes work to be lost.  

I've only had Cloud up and running for about a week before finding this post on the forum but I wish I had found it before.  I can't believe that BT have actually let this product loose on the unsuspecting customer.

0 Ratings