cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geoffhailz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

BT Cloud - backup does not seem to work properly for deletes

Now that the space has doubled, I decided to give BT cloud an explore.   What I want to do us to use it to provide a backup of my Desktop ( WIndows 8.1), which I tend to use as my working area.  The initial load was good, and  BT Cloud succesfully copied up new files impressively quickly - in fact, so quickly, it even took a copy of the Download Manager's  TMP file for something that was being downloaded.

But the trouble is that when a file is deleted on my PC (for instance that TMP download file) it is NOT deleted from the Cloud backup copy.

The user guide (quoted below) says that it should be moved to the "Deleted Items" - but this doesnt seem to work:

"What if I delete a file from my device?

If you delete a file on your device, it will move to the "Deleted Items" folder in BT Cloud, so that the files visible in the "All Files" and "Devices" view continue to be the most accurate representation of the important content on your devices."

Am I missing something?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Cloud - backup does not seem to work properly for deletes

@Geoffhailz if you give the cloud team a call on 0800 500 3114 they'll be able to help. They're open 9am to 9pm Mon - Fri 9am to 6.30pm Sat and Sun

0 Ratings
Geoffhailz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks Neil,

I've rung the cloud team as you suggest, but it was sadly a very frustrating conversation with the Sub Continent. I explained my problem was that I am backing up my desktop, and that all the new file additions are being added to the cloud storage, but nothing ihappens when I delete a file or folder. They are NOT being moved to the Delete folder, and are just staying there.  The first response was "they should be moved". When I said they definitely were not, then after a long "please hold the line" I was told that if I stopped the backup on my dashboard they would move then.  I couldnt see how that could work, but I tried it - and of course it didint !

I have come to the conclusion that the backup function does not work as described. I can only get files into the "deleted" folder if I delete them in the cloud myself - there does not seem to be an automatic mirroring of what is on my device, which is what the documentation suggests should happen.

Is there anyway that this can get raised formally as a fault?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Hi @Geoffhailz,

Thanks for trying the helpdesk. I'm sorry they weren't able to sort this for you. Can you please drop me over an email with your details and I'll look into this for you. You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 5 of 6

sub continent ? Loool 

Nope definiatly somthing is very wrong. Why can't we have an ftp account and just upload what we want plz

@Geoffhailz wrote:

Thanks Neil,

I've rung the cloud team as you suggest, but it was sadly a very frustrating conversation with the Sub Continent. I explained my problem was that I am backing up my desktop, and that all the new file additions are being added to the cloud storage, but nothing ihappens when I delete a file or folder. They are NOT being moved to the Delete folder, and are just staying there.  The first response was "they should be moved". When I said they definitely were not, then after a long "please hold the line" I was told that if I stopped the backup on my dashboard they would move then.  I couldnt see how that could work, but I tried it - and of course it didint !

I have come to the conclusion that the backup function does not work as described. I can only get files into the "deleted" folder if I delete them in the cloud myself - there does not seem to be an automatic mirroring of what is on my device, which is what the documentation suggests should happen.

Is there anyway that this can get raised formally as a fault?

0 Ratings
Geoffhailz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

I wonder if there is any progress to report on this ?

After your intervention, someone from Wipro in India did indeed ring me.  I spent some time creating a user case for him -  creating files on my PC, then renaming them, and then deleting them.  I created a text file in a folder and named it file1.txt, and then renamed it file2.txt and then deleted it.  After that, the PC showed the folder as empty , but the Cloud showed it holding three files :- newtextfile.txt, file1.txt, file2.txt.  I sent him screen shots from my PC and browser that showed the PC and Cloud view of every stage, and I managed to capture the logs for all of this and sent them off as well.

That was a month ago, and I have not had any acknowledgement or response from them since.

I dont actually think that this is a mega fix needed. I think that if you re-name a file, then the Cloud SHOULD keep a copy of the old one to allow the possibility of recovering old versions.  BUT, the old files should be moved to the deleted folder, and not left in the original folder.

0 Ratings