cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
woolstons
Message 1 of 6

BT Cloud backup not moving deleted files to deleted files folder

According to the BT cloud manuals, if I delete a file in a backed-up folder on my PC, BT cloud is supposed to move the backed-up copy of that file to the "deleted files" folder.

It is not doing this. This means that if I ever restore a folder from BT Cloud backup, it will restore all the deleted files as well as all the 'live' files.

Why is this? The instructions are quite clear about what's 'supposed' to happen.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Cloud backup not moving deleted files to deleted files folder

Hi @woolstons I'm sorry that the Cloud service is not moving your backed up copies to the deleted files section. 

Please call the Cloud helpdesk on 0800 500 3114 and they will be able to help your further. 

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Backing up and Synchronising are two different things.

If you look at the App Dashboard, you will see a tab for Synchronising and another for Backup. If you delete a file from the Synchronised folder on your PC then it should be moved to Deleted Items on the cloud. Conversely if you delete a file from a folder which you have backed up (as opposed to synchronised) then it remains in the cloud.

Hope that makes sense.

0 Ratings
woolstons
Message 4 of 6

Hi, I called the support desk and they just told me that Cloud is working correctly - that it's not supposed to move deleted files to the deleted folder. (Even though the documentation says it should.)

Frankly I find the BT Cloud support desk to be a bit of an incompetent operation. They cut you off unintentionally, get confused and give inconsistent information. Pity.

0 Ratings
woolstons
Message 5 of 6

Thanks this is how I understand it works. It's just that's not what the documentation says should happen. Never mind. What this means is that BT Cloud backup is a useless solution to me, because every time I delete something that I don't want any more I also have to go to BT Cloud backup and delete it there too. Since I have 500GB of data backed up, I don't want to start again with Sync. My experience of BT Cloud is so poor, I have no confidence that works either.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

I've just double checked by creating a Test.txt file in the sync folder on my PC an this was automatically synchronised to the cloud.

I then deleted the file from my PC and refreshed my browser view, the file was moved to the deleted items on the cloud.

The only problem I've found, which I have raised on this forum but never received any replies to, is that you cannot delete (say) a random selection of files from the cloud if they were backed up (as opposed to synchronised).

All in all you're right about the cloud software, I can't help thinking it was the product of a 2nd year undergraduates thesis.  

0 Ratings