Did you mean: 
slogger
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

BT Cloud being reported as a Trojan

Go to solution

Here's a good one -

Download BT Cloud from the site that "My BT" redirects to:

https://conf-btpc-prod.uk-uxb.synchronoss.com/snc-repo/data/SyncDrive/download?client=pc

and Windows Defender reports it as infected with a virus.

This may be a false positive and I'm sure that BT would say as such but anyone any ideas?

btclo.png

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Cloud being reported as a Trojan

Go to solution

Hi @slogger,

Our BT Cloud Expert posted about a similar issue on another thread: Re: McAfee reporting BT Cloud Windows app as "Dangerous"

Their responses:

"My recommendation would be to make sure it is genuinely the BT Cloud app you've downloaded by removing the file in question, and then redownloading from the published download link, which is: https://bt.com/cloud/download/ . The file at that URL is definitely safe to install.

We do test BT Cloud with BT Virus Protect to ensure that it doesn't conflict or get falsely flagged as a suspicious file, so it shouldn't be throwing up any alerts (I've just tested it on my own PC with the latest version of BT Virus Protect / BT Cloud and didn't get any problems)."

"Thanks for letting me know! The link on My BT is pointing to the same place as the one I gave you, so there isn't actually anything dangerous about the file. I've flagged it to our product manager for BT Virus Protect for them to raise with McAfee and fix."

I'll highlight this to them also. In the meantime, try the direct link from his first response.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @slogger,

Thanks for getting in touch. The BT Cloud file definitely doesn't contain any viruses or malware - here you can see the results of the most recent BT Cloud .exe file being scanned by 60 antivirus products:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/917898cfa9adee5c540928cf6cb5bf08e865c3ea2d4a56c74dcfaee1cc771828/...

I will prefix the rest of my post with a disclaimer that home PC cyber-security is not my field of expertise, and you can probably find people who are far more knowledgeable on these forums. There are two possibilities to explain what you're seeing here:

1.   It is a false positive from Windows Defender. I haven't been able to trigger the same false positive using Windows Defender on 3 test machines (latest updates applied). I'd recommend checking that Windows Defender is up to date, and then rescanning the file.

2.   It's possible you do have a virus infection, which is either generating false positives on other files, or that is trying to open an infected file when you try and install legitimate .exe files (like BT Cloud).

I will review this with our developers, and see if they can trigger the same false positive you've seen. If we do recreate it, we'll get in contact with Microsoft and see what they can do to correct this error.

Thanks,

Joe

0 Ratings
MikeL
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi, I am getting the same trying to install BT Cloud. Windows defender detecting download as infected and deleting it. Using Windows defender.

Problem is there in both links. The one on the web page and the one given above.

This is on a Windows tablet. Will try on my desktop tomorrow. Will also try and install McAfee to see if that gives the same.

Defender details

Defender Details

Regards Mike
0 Ratings
MikeL
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Downloaded BTCloud_16.3.18.10_Production.exe to my desktop and it scanned OK with Windows Defender. AV defs updated to 1.239.762 on both tablet and desktop. Problem still there on tablet.

One difference between tablet and desktop is Windows version. Desktop is standard current Windows 10 production release. Tablet I have on Windows Insider Fast Ring. The Anti-malware client on desktop is 4.10.14393.953 and on tablet is 4.11.15063.0

I am going to move .exe file from my desktop to tablet to see if it will scan OK.

Regards Mike
0 Ratings
BT Cloud Expert
BT Cloud Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi all,

We submitted a 'false positive' report to Microsoft, and it looks like they've released some updated defination files to their pre-release version of Windows Defender today that addressed the issue. Thanks very much for taking the time to share the problem.

Thanks,

Joe

MikeL
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the update. The exe has downloaded and scanned OK. The Defender versions are

Windows Defender Versions

Regards Mike
0 Ratings