cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 304

Re: BT Cloud beta client 21.2.3

There seems to be a fundamental problem with this version of BT Cloud

I have 2 computers that I work on. On both, I have set My Documents (now just called Documents) as the folder to syncronise. When I worked on a file, the modified version would be copied to the Cloud (call it the back-up if you like) and then get downloaded to the other computer, the old version on that being identified as a Conflict version. Then, the latest version was available on the second computer, when required.

What happens now is that when I allow syncronisation the old versions of files in BT Cloud Web get copied to the computer, the new version being marked as a Conflict version. This is NOT how syncronisation should work - it is the latest version that should be retained in the Cloud and made available in the My Documents folder. The BT Cloud software should check the appropriate Modified Date of the versions of the file to determine which to transfer. It's as if someone had the less than and greater than commands confused.

As it is, I have numerous files that I want marked as Conflict versions that will take a lot of time to rename without any certainty that future syncronisations would reset as Conflict versions again. I've had to stop the BT Cloud app to prevent more damage.

PS I've just spotted that, despite talking to an agent last Thursday and checking the BT Cloud version, I have 21.1.3  Unfortunately, the download on the parent forum message does not seem to work - I get 'No data available'.

Message 32 of 304

I have three Desktops and a laptop all running Windows 10 Pro 20H2.  I mainly use the Sync Folder in BT Cloud to store my files so they are accessible from any PC. All have been updated to this latest beta and all use the latest Windows Edge. No problems there.

I still have problems with the syncing. Last night I was using my laptop and deleted some files and then powered it off. When I powered this Desktop "A" on this morning, the files are still there. So I powered up the laptop and it obviously synced with the Cloud.  Now they are gone on "A".  File deletions from a PC sync folder should take effect immediately in the Cloud---I shouldn't have to go back to power it up and sync.

Today on "A" at 09:33 I created an Excel file in a Folder called Excel Files in my BT Sync Folder.  I closed Excel and powered "A" off at 09:42.  When I powered up Desktop "C" at 09:48, the file is not there.  I powered "A" up at 09:56 and now the file is uploaded!

My other problem with BT Cloud, I originally posted here.      I subsequently posted in this contributor's post who had the same problem.

Desktop A powered up at 09:56Desktop A powered up at 09:56

Message 33 of 304

@RTLwrote:

I have three Desktops and a laptop all running Windows 10 Pro 20H2.  I mainly use the Sync Folder in BT Cloud to store my files so they are accessible from any PC. All have been updated to this latest beta and all use the latest Windows Edge. No problems there.

I still have problems with the syncing. Last night I was using my laptop and deleted some files and then powered it off. When I powered this Desktop "A" on this morning, the files are still there. So I powered up the laptop and it obviously synced with the Cloud.  Now they are gone on "A".  File deletions from a PC sync folder should take effect immediately in the Cloud---I shouldn't have to go back to power it up and sync.

Today on "A" at 09:33 I created an Excel file in a Folder called Excel Files in my BT Sync Folder.  I closed Excel and powered "A" off at 09:42.  When I powered up Desktop "C" at 09:48, the file is not there.  I powered "A" up at 09:56 and now the file is uploaded!

My other problem with BT Cloud, I originally posted here.      I subsequently posted in this contributor's post who had the same problem.

Desktop A powered up at 09:56Desktop A powered up at 09:56

RTL, the Sync process does not happen instantaneously.  You have stated that you deleted some files and then powered Desktop "A" off.  That broke the first link creating a suspension of activity, all be it temporarily, between Desktop “A” and the BT Cloud client, before it was allowed enough time to run through the sync process to completion.

When you powered on Desktop "A" the next day, the BT Cloud client has to run pre-checks that include looking for any changes have occurred to sync files, the extent of which is recorded in your BT Cloud Logs.  As you can see in these Logs, the pre-check look at every synced file, not just those that you have asked to be added, changed, or removed.

Until these pre-checks are completed and resolved, the files that you removed will still be visible in Desktop "A" and, of course, subsequently they will disappear.

During this period, the BT Cloud client would not be able to sync these changes to your other repositories, as they were not connected to it, but as soon as connection are made to each of these repositories individually, they too will all have to run their own pre-checks that include looking for any changes that have occurred within them, or out with them by any other repositories, including the BT Cloud client.   

The simple solution is to be ultra patient and allow the BT Cloud client sufficient time to complete the changes that you initiated. 

It is a fact that simple changes no matter how small, including corrections, additions and deletions cannot take effect immediately. 

The more sync files that there are involved in the pre-check, the longer the process will take on all of your repositories.  The time taken is recorded in their individual BT Cloud Logs.

JTS1

Message 34 of 304

Re: BT Cloud beta client 21.2.3 - Backup inconsistent

With My Documents selected for continuous backup, no sync, I'm seeing inconsistencies which are stopping me from using it in anger. Earlier today I modified two files in a subfolder and saved both before closing the app I had been using to modify them.  However only one of the two files has backed up and a three day old version of the other is still showing on the web.  This has happened previously too.  Disappointing and obviously unacceptable.

Win 10 20H2

NB It's been two hours now and the second file is still not showing.

EDIT - Restarting BT Cloud has now corrected the error, but that's still a serious error.

EDIT 2 - I just repeated the test with similar result, but this time it was the OTHER file that got backed up.  It also backed up another file modified over two hours ago.

0 Ratings
Message 35 of 304

@Earthlingwrote:

With My Documents selected for continuous backup, no sync, I'm seeing inconsistencies which are stopping me from using it in anger. Earlier today I modified two files in a subfolder and saved both before closing the app I had been using to modify them.  However only one of the two files has backed up and a three day old version of the other is still showing on the web.  This has happened previously too.  Disappointing and obviously unacceptable.

Win 10 20H2

NB It's been two hours now and the second file is still not showing.

Earthling: 

Are both of these files in the same Documents sub-folder?  If so, how many other files are there in this folder?

Also, does the folder have any sub-folder(s) of it's own that contain even more files, or any other files in folder(s) above it.

The reason for asking is that small changes in the top layer of stacked group of folders can result in a lengthy time period of resyncing of many other files in the stacked group, depending upon where they are positioned.

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 304

There are 36 files in the subfolder, including the two being discussed.  There are no subfolders to the subfolder and it is a first level subfolder to My Documents.

0 Ratings
Message 37 of 304

@JTS1        You have stated that you deleted some files and then powered Desktop "A" off.    Wrong---I powered the laptop off after deleting files on the Sunday evening but the changes weren't obviously done in the Cloud sync file with the result that when I powered up "A" this morning they were still there.   Not how a sync file should work in my opinion.  Any change like that should trigger an update being done.

As regards the file created  and saved on A this morning at 09:33, it had 15 minutes in which to upload it before I switched off.  I don't have the time to sit and wait for the updating--I have other things to do and I don't keep my PC's powered on. The minute it was saved there should have been a trigger to get it up to the cloud.  And when I came to power the PC off  it should have done the changes then or warned me that there was an app still in use with the option to return and cancel the shutdown while it completed.  Other apps can do this! 

The end result is the Sync folder is not correct.  Microsoft OneDrive has no problem.  

Message 38 of 304

@RTLwrote:

@JTS1        You have stated that you deleted some files and then powered Desktop "A" off.    Wrong---I powered the laptop off after deleting files on the Sunday evening but the changes weren't obviously done in the Cloud sync file with the result that when I powered up "A" this morning they were still there.   Not how a sync file should work in my opinion.  Any change like that should trigger an update being done.

As regards the file created  and saved on A this morning at 09:33, it had 15 minutes in which to upload it before I switched off.  I don't have the time to sit and wait for the updating--I have other things to do and I don't keep my PC's powered on. The minute it was saved there should have been a trigger to get it up to the cloud.  And when I came to power the PC off  it should have done the changes then or warned me that there was an app still in use with the option to return and cancel the shutdown while it completed.  Other apps can do this! 

The end result is the Sync folder is not correct.  Microsoft OneDrive has no problem.  

You sound as though you are talking about Backup, rather than Sync.

Sync
In order to Sync files, you can just drag and drop them into BT Cloud on your PC at: C\:Users\RTL\BTCloud, or any of it’s folders.  These will then be synced with the BT Cloud client and any other repositories that you may have (PCs, iPads iPhones, etc).

However, if these files are removed from any of these repositories, they will be removed from them all, so they’re NOT immune to being accidentally deleted.

Backup
In order to Backup files, any folders in your PC (NOT the BT Cloud folder) can be chosen to upload files from your PC to the BT Cloud client.  Once these files have been backed up, they stay backed up, unless you decide to remove them yourself.  If you don’t delete them, they can be downloaded to any of your repositories that have BT Cloud installed.

If you amend and save them, versions of these changes will also be retained.

These files ARE Secure and immune from accidental deletion.

JTS1

0 Ratings
Message 39 of 304

@JTS1         C\:Users\RTL\BTCloud, or any of it’s folders       That is the location I was using.

Anyway,  about an hour ago, I backed up the Cloud data to a local drive and then removed it. Uninstalled BT Cloud from this laptop and will be doing the same from the other PC's tomorrow. In the meantime will use OneDrive.   Would have preferred BT Cloud as BT declare they respect ones privacy and don't read or use the content unlike Microsoft or Google---not that I have anything to hide!!  Thanks for your time.

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 304

PS I've just spotted that, despite talking to an agent last Thursday and checking the BT Cloud version, I have 21.1.3 Unfortunately, the download on the parent forum message does not seem to work - I get 'No data available'.

I have now managed to download V 21.2.3 - the link would not open in Firefox, presumably because of it's incredible length, 473 characters! I had to copy and paste it into Edge.

I can confirm that the  fundamental problem with BT Cloud persists

I have 2 computers that I work on. On both, I have set My Documents (now just called Documents) as the folder to syncronise. When I worked on a file, the modified version would be copied to the Cloud and then get downloaded to the other computer, the old version on that being identified as a Conflict version. Then, the latest version was available on the second computer, when required.

What still happens with V 21.2.3 is that when I allow syncronisation the old versions of files in BT Cloud Web get copied back to the computer, the new version being marked as a Conflict version. This is NOT how syncronisation should work - it is the latest version that should be retained in the Cloud and made available in the My Documents folder. The BT Cloud software should check the appropriate Modified Date of the versions of the file to determine which to transfer. It's as if someone had the less than and greater than commands confused.

I am using the latest version of W10

0 Ratings